All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Specialty Riding Forums > Misc Riding Types

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Beginner Class

Default Re: XR 80 hop-ups?

Thanks Dano for the info on the exhaust tip. It checked out the web site and it looks good. 30 bucks is a no-brainer. I will try the tip and see how it works. I will let you how everything works when I get the mods done.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:23 AM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally posted by kurta
Thanks Dano for the info on the exhaust tip. It checked out the web site and it looks good. 30 bucks is a no-brainer. I will try the tip and see how it works. I will let you how everything works when I get the mods done.

Yeah let me know what you think. My son just upgraded to a stock XR100 and is doing every little chore around the house to pay off the bike and get a power tip.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Beginner Class

Well, I'm done with the work. I put on the power tip from Throttle-up. This was one great company to work with. They were back-order (2 days) and they felt very bad about that. I recieved the power tip within four days and they gave me a small gift, because of the delay. It looks and works great. It opened up the pipe and it is not overly loud. I opened up the top of the air box and put on a Uni-Filter, along with putting in a 105 main jet. I left everything else the same.

I noticed a large increase in power and it looks like it is going to work out great. I am having a problem with getting the carb dialed in though. If I bring on the throttle at normally fast pace it works fine. If I do a quick burst of throttle it takes a while for the revs to catch up to the throttle postions. Its not a big deal, but it is something I want to work out.

Old 05-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Expert Class

Glad to see it worked out for ya! My son will be ordering one in the next week or two.

I am not much of a carb guy so I can't help much, but it sounds like your main jet is to large???? Maybe someone else could chime in here????
Old 05-25-2004, 04:04 PM
ATM! Pro Class

that actually sounds more of a lean bog than a rich main jet. a rich jet will studder and blubber around, a lean one will just bog down.

have you messed with the fuel screw? i'm not sure about on the XR but on my TTR125, it is on the bottom of the carb, towards the front (towards the engine) if you turn it out, (counter clockwise) it richens it, and common sense tells you which way to turn it to lean it

turn that screw out .5 to .75 turn out, it should help. you may end up changing the pilot jet.

that sounds like you did pretty good, if you take off the seat you will see where the carb gets its air, from that super-restrictive airbox. either cut out the entire top of the box or just drill a whole bunch of holes in it. you might have to rejet.

Rob
Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Welcome To ATM

I have a 2003 xr 80 that I am turning into a pit bike and a few things I have done that fits in that price range is got a UNI pod filter(gets rid of the air box and you have to rejet with it), pulled the whole tip off the stock pipe which allows it to breath better, put a bbr frame cradle so that when I jump, the frame doesn't stretch, and put a bbr rev box to help the ignition curve. granted I work at a shop, but these all still cost under about 120 and it's improved the power alot. Next and what you may want to do is get a upgraded cam! They make loads more power too!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Specialty Riding Forums > Misc Riding Types