All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Specialty Riding Forums > Misc Riding Types

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Beginner Class

Default KLX250s

I will be getting my motorcycle permit this summer and will be getting a dual sport
my only question is how do you thing the klx will handle on the highway
the farthest that i will need to travel is about 40mins away about with an 80kmph average, would doing this a few times a month be hard on the bike as I don't want to be too harsh on it

also this may seem silly but what kind of helmet should I get, Im thinking that my mx helmet will be to ported compared to say a street bike helmet

thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:36 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Moto

As far as distance and speed traveled I think your fine as the KLX is designed for that type of use anyway.

The helmet I would just say use your motocross one.... if you get a street one you might look a bit funny. It's not uncommon for me to see the same type of setup that you are talking about running down the road here.

I have a FZR 600 for my road bike and on the Highway / freeway I very rarely see a dual purpose bike but on the commercial streets on my way to work I bet I see half a dozen every day.

I also think what your talking about doing will give you valuable experience should you decide to get a dedicated street bike down the road.

Thanks
Scott
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Beginner Class

thats why I want a dual pupose
Im only 16 and already am comfortable on a dirt bike and am looking at getting a bigger bike along with my class 6 license so why not combine them

plus where would i go, work, school, friends most of which are within 10kms
other then that I would go out to the cottage or fishing both of which will be slow paced on trails and such

thanks
Old 12-10-2010, 12:01 AM
ATM! Addict

I don't like my mx helmets at all for the road. too much wind at speed, and noise. Better than nothing of course. The rub is that once you get to the dirt you may feel that you cannot see well enough around you, and you may feel like you don't get enough air. If you can borrow a full faced street helmet and get used to it (just wear it around the house and watching tv etc) you may decide you like it just fine. They do offer more protection. I have broken the face guard out of several mx helmets in the past (none too recent luckily) but never one of my full faced road helmets.

KBC makes some really reasonably priced street helmets that I would suggest over a moderately priced mx helmet. Nice shields and decent venting to prevent fogging.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Speed does not sound like it's going to be an issue here he is talking 80kph which is like 50mph. I agree the street bike helmets offer better protection for sure but at the speeds he is talking all helmets are going to be good in most cases.

I have however shattered 2 motocross helmets while in the dirt and at speed less than 50, but they did their job and I am still here.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Specialty Riding Forums > Misc Riding Types