All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > ATV/UTV Forums > ATV/UTV - Suzuki

     
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Welcome To ATM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Last Online: 08-31-2006 09:29 PM
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2
Default Suzuki 50 Quad Help

I am helping a friend of mine. His sons towed this 2003 Quad 50 around with out the engine running and now it acts as if it is stuck in gear. I removed the clutch (centrifical) and there is nothing broke. I put it all back together and tighten the clutch nut just past finger tight and it locks the clutch up meaning it acts as if the clutch has engaged to drive the back wheels. The recommended torque on the nut is 62ft lbs and I cant even get close to that before it locks up. I verified the clutch and component installation with the factory drawing. Can anybody out there help me on this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-29-2006, 12:11 AM
2fun's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Last Online: 10-16-2014 12:44 PM
Location: Somewhere on the West coast dunes....
Posts: 8,367
Default Re: Suzuki 50 Quad Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by charity_rider View Post
I am helping a friend of mine. His sons towed this 2003 Quad 50 around with out the engine running and now it acts as if it is stuck in gear. I removed the clutch (centrifical) and there is nothing broke. I put it all back together and tighten the clutch nut just past finger tight and it locks the clutch up meaning it acts as if the clutch has engaged to drive the back wheels. The recommended torque on the nut is 62ft lbs and I cant even get close to that before it locks up. I verified the clutch and component installation with the factory drawing. Can anybody out there help me on this. Thanks.
1st off, welcome to the forums!

2nd, what kind of quad is it? 2-stroke? 4-stroke?

Was there plenty of oil in the tranny??

I'm no expert on transmissions, but perhaps with a little more info, someone here can shed some light on the problem!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Tdub's Avatar
ATM! Pro Class
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Last Online: 10-12-2014 06:25 PM
Location: The OWB, Kentucky
Posts: 3,026
Default Re: Suzuki 50 Quad Help

You might want to double check on that Tq spec...I could be wrong, but that seems quite high. They are usually in the mid 40# range. Tdub
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Welcome To ATM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Last Online: 08-31-2006 09:29 PM
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2
Default Re: Suzuki 50 Quad Help

Thanks. This unit is an oil injected 2 stroke 2003 model. There was enough oil in the tranny. The torque specification is right from the service manual, but I can't even get 10ft lbs on it before it locks up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Last Online: 03-01-2008 12:30 PM
Location: canada
Posts: 6
Default Re: Suzuki 50 Quad Help

I suspect your clutch drum is seized to the bushing due to lack of lube. It gets oil from the injection pump. When you take the drum off the cranck there sould be a bushing in the center that spins freely. Press it out, polish it up so it goes back in and spins freely. You can tell it is seized if the drum does not spin by hand with enging off. The hub nut must be tight or it will spin off and jam on the case. When you get the drum off you will see the bushing. It need the oil from the pump. Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
2fun's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Last Online: 10-16-2014 12:44 PM
Location: Somewhere on the West coast dunes....
Posts: 8,367
Default Re: Suzuki 50 Quad Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopitrakeit View Post
I suspect your clutch drum is seized to the bushing due to lack of lube. It gets oil from the injection pump. When you take the drum off the cranck there sould be a bushing in the center that spins freely. Press it out, polish it up so it goes back in and spins freely. You can tell it is seized if the drum does not spin by hand with enging off. The hub nut must be tight or it will spin off and jam on the case. When you get the drum off you will see the bushing. It need the oil from the pump. Mike
WOW!

Nice info!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Beginner Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Last Online: 03-01-2008 12:30 PM
Location: canada
Posts: 6
Default Re: Suzuki 50 Quad Help

Hi. I have done a little more work on my 84 lt50. I dont think the drum bushing is in fact lubed by the injector pump but by the engine oil for the gearbox, which must be kept up to the level hole below the fill plug.
My bike has the injection pump disconnected and tank is missing so thats why I thought that had causd the bushing to seize. There are lots of people running without the injuector pump so it must be ok.
Mine has had a tank of gas through it since I polished up the bushing and refilled the oil sump, the clutch is working ok, so I will haul it apart and check out the bushing again.

Questions: What type of oil is supposed to be in the gearbox?
What type of oil and what ratio are people mixing when injector pump is not being used?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2007, 07:24 AM
triplendo's Avatar
Intermediate Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Last Online: 02-13-2014 02:16 PM
Location: Texas
Posts: 410
Default Re: Suzuki 50 Quad Help

The injection pump needs to be hooked up for several important parts to get lubed. If yours is inop thats probably the problem. I would give more specific info if I could remember it but its been 20 plus years since I worked on Suzuki's for a living. But I do know that the injection oil is critical to other parts other than the top end. The engines on the 50's have been the same since about 1977 or 78. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Ads
  #9  
Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Faded's Avatar
ATM! Pro Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Last Online: 11-21-2014 10:31 PM
Location: Idaho... No, U-da-ho.
Posts: 3,350
Default Re: Suzuki 50 Quad Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopitrakeit View Post
I dont think the drum bushing is in fact lubed by the injector pump but by the engine oil for the gearbox, which must be kept up to the level hole below the fill plug.

Questions: What type of oil is supposed to be in the gearbox?
What type of oil and what ratio are people mixing when injector pump is not being used?
You are correct, the clutch assy. is lubed by the trans case oil. The 'recommended' oil is probably 10W30 or 10W40 but gets along fine with ATF Type F which is what I use.

With stock porting this engine only turns 3k, maybe 4k RPM's...a premix ratio with less oil, say 40:1 or even 50:1 is probably sufficient.

I oversee an '84 that's ported with head mods and no injection pump running 32:1 with ATF Type F in the trans and it's been going all summer without any problems.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-07-2007, 01:52 PM
2fun's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Last Online: 10-16-2014 12:44 PM
Location: Somewhere on the West coast dunes....
Posts: 8,367
Default Re: Suzuki 50 Quad Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded View Post
You are correct, the clutch assy. is lubed by the trans case oil. The 'recommended' oil is probably 10W30 or 10W40 but gets along fine with ATF Type F which is what I use.

With stock porting this engine only turns 3k, maybe 4k RPM's...a premix ratio with less oil, say 40:1 or even 50:1 is probably sufficient.

I oversee an '84 that's ported with head mods and no injection pump running 32:1 with ATF Type F in the trans and it's been going all summer without any problems.
Nice info Faded!!
Good to see you on the boards!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

  All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > ATV/UTV Forums > ATV/UTV - Suzuki


Bookmarks

Thread Tools


Similar Threads for: Suzuki 50 Quad Help
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to de-restrict Suzuki LT50 quad mtk ATV/UTV - Suzuki 35 06-25-2013 08:15 PM
Suzuki LT50 Quad - DErestricting holstenpills ATV/UTV - Suzuki 12 04-26-2010 04:06 PM
SUZUKI LT50 2 STROKE QUAD, NOT RUNNING RIGHT??????? holstenpills ATV/UTV - Suzuki 4 01-14-2009 02:10 PM
Suzuki Quad-4WD Only $900.00 ccra92 Classified Ads 1 07-19-2006 08:11 PM
New quad for suzuki? quadrider32 ATV/UTV - Suzuki 6 07-30-2003 12:56 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright ©2002-2014, JDub Consulting, Inc. All Right Reserved.