All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > ATV/UTV Forums > ATV/UTV - Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default 89 Lt250r quadracer cant get started

i picked up this bike from a person that didn't know much about it. I started going thru the bike making sure it had enough compression with a compression tester its about 145psi after that i had to re-wire everything. it has a new stator which the bike is new getting plenty of spark. i replaced the old carb on the bike because the one he had on it came off of a ktm. so i am getting gas to it i can smell it on the plug i replaced the ignition coil and spark plug still getting good spark. i can not get it started. ive tried pulling it behind my truck to pop start it and it will bog out and wont stay started i dont know what else to do. i was thinking that i should do a timing test because when the guy put this new one on i cant find any makes or anything to where it has been lined up. there isn't much room to turn the stator currently it is counter clock wise all the way. any help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 PM
ATM! Pro Class

145 psi is a bit on the low side, but it should start with that.
You will need a dial guage and volt meter to set the timing correctly.
I would guess it should be set at about 5-10mm BTDC as a starting point.
A service manual would be a lot of help as well as the paperwork on the new ignition.
I see manual for under $30 on ebay for this unit.

Paw Paw
Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 PM
Welcome To ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
145 psi is a bit on the low side, but it should start with that.
You will need a dial guage and volt meter to set the timing correctly.
I would guess it should be set at about 5-10mm BTDC as a starting point.
A service manual would be a lot of help as well as the paperwork on the new ignition.
I see manual for under $30 on ebay for this unit.

Paw Paw

thank you.. today i took apart the flywheel and re aligned the key with the magnet. there is a slot in the flywheel that the key sits in so i kicked it over and it all most started bogged out and now when i kick it over it is back firing out of my exhaust. i think it is going to need a new topend. but any clue as to why it would be back firing like this?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:24 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Old fuel comes to mind.
Timing may still be off.

Paw Paw
Old 08-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default it started

Thank you for your help this far! So i took the engine out of the bike opened it up and noticed the power valve wasnt connected to the shaft going into the case i connected it and got things back together and cleaned it up checked the cylinder sleeve and piston which were in good shape also checked if any play was in the crank shaft which there was only a little side play but not enough to make it rub. I know i will need to do a topend but was waiting til winter to get into that. i have a new carb for the bike 38 mm PWK Carburetor its a Keihin. HERE IS THE PROBLEM..... i kick it over and it will start with the choke on and me feathering the gas and it will either bog out or if i tighten the air screw all the way i can rev it up and take the choke off and cant get it to idle by itself and when i put it into gear and let out the clutch lever it bogs out and dies. i have smoke coming out of exhaust port which i believe is just oil burning off. i have moved the needle clip up and down and still cant get it to go. so i have taken off the plug on the carb and noticed this carb came with a 170 Main Jet. from what ive read about these bikes it runs a 240. do you think this could be the main problem? also another question i have is on top of my piston it has a 75 and i noticed thru the paint that this guy put on the cylinder that it also has a 75 on it. does this mean its bored? i have open air filter also. so if it is bored and the open filter should my main be a little bit bigger then stock? sorry to throw all this at you thank you so much for your help

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > ATV/UTV Forums > ATV/UTV - Suzuki