All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > ATV/UTV Forums > ATV/UTV - Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Expert Class

Default Help with Bayou 400 Clutch

Anyone have any expertise with a the semi-automatic clutch set-up on the Bayou 400 4x4s?? Had a slipping clutch feeling, ordered clutch plates. Opened up and found there are two sets of clutches: a clutch pack like that of a dirtbike (which is what I was expecting and had the plates for) and another centrifugal clutch that attaches to the crank. I put on the plates I had and it shifts smoother now, BUT it lurches forward a bit and then just lets go. It revs and nothing else. If I shift between 1st and reverse it moves about a foot in each direction and then quits.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:52 AM
Expert Class

Back to report what I learned (or think I did...) about this setup for any future member or person searching:
1. The problem was an installation error. The pressure plate was not aligned correctly and the plates were free-spinning in the clutch. Since the pressure plate is backwards on this bike (they are inside the outer clutch basket and apply pressure via the springs towards the OUTSIDE of the bike), everything is a little tough to line up. Apparently I missed the final alignment between the pressure plate and the final plate or two. I decided to check that clutch since it was the one I had messed with and discovered my error once I took some time to think about what each clutch did.
2. The perceived functions of each clutch and operation: The centrifugal clutch on these atvs seems to only have the function of not allowing the bike to stall. Revs come up, centrifugal "fingers" rotate outward and into the basket that contains them, and the power being delivered to the crank is now being delivered to the clutch connected to the input shaft of the transmission. Even though I saw a few videos that referred to the clutch on the input shaft as "just a shifter clutch" this is incorrect. The power is transferred from the centrifugal clutch to the outer clutch basket of the clutch and the inner basket of that assembly is connected to the input shaft. Therefore, I concluded that it must lock up (have adequate pressure and friction) in order to function like a typical motorcycle clutch in order for the bike to move. It does have a function in shifting as well since the shift shaft connects to something that applies pressure on the inner clutch basket. Due to the "backwards" design, this results in having the same effect as pulling in the clutch lever (which these semi-automatics do not have) and allows the load to come off the input shaft so the shift can occur.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > ATV/UTV Forums > ATV/UTV - Kawasaki