All Things Moto! Web Forums

All Things Moto! Web Forums (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/)
-   ATV/UTV - Honda (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-71/)
-   -   '99 Foreman TRX450ES (Electric Shift) Problem (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-71/99-foreman-trx450es-electric-shift-problem-2188/)

ESKIMO 07-04-2003 03:40 PM

'99 Foreman TRX450ES (Electric Shift) Problem

Hi,

I have a '99 foreman TRX450ES (electric Shift)

It's been a pain in the #$$ lately. I'll tell you why

I had someone try and break into the key with a screwdriver.
Since then, the Key switch does not work and I can't get any life out of the ATV. I did put in a new Key Switch (OEM Part# 35100-HNO-A02) but still no life. But I do get life when I hotwire the old key switch by connecting the red, pink and Black wires and leaving the Red with black stripe out.

Why won't the new Key Switch work? Maybe the Control Module was damaged and the wires it recognizes changed? Anyway, I either have a wrong part number from the microfiches of three different suppliers. Or I have something beyond my knowledge.

Another problem, even earier than the Key Problem. When I drove it, the Electronic shifter did not want to gear down. It only worked when I stopped and turned the key on and off, making it very cumbersome to gear down for added tourque in turns and mud. I may have to replace the gear sensor in the engine area and wondering if anyone had similiar trouble in the past.

Please advise and email to [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Eskimo

Woody_YZF 07-04-2003 03:56 PM

Re: '99 Foreman TRX450ES (Electric Shift) Problem

I didn't think Honda's had problems. I wish I could tell you the problem. I'm sure someone here can help out. By the way welcome to ATM, we hope to see you post often.

Madman393 07-04-2003 04:01 PM

Like Woody said, welcome to the site! As far as your problems are concerned, you might want to hit the new key switch with a multimeter. New does not necessarily mean good. I suspect that you may have a bum switch that is not providing continuity when enabled. As far as the gear shifter, I will have to defer to some others out there for assistance.

quadrider32 07-05-2003 12:02 PM

Get another key switch and if it doesnt work return it. But if that doesnt work I have no clue what the problem is??

ESKIMO 07-08-2003 01:15 PM

I did try a different new key switch. I think somehow the salt buggered something in the electrical system and the ATV is due for target practice for my new .223.

New parts take time, and the summer is really short, so I gotta get on the horn.

Thanks anyway guys, hopefully there will be others who have had similiar woes post their suggestions. In the meanwhile, I'll be tracking my parts in the mail.

Eskimo

ESKIMO 08-01-2003 12:57 PM

I got the key switch thing corrected.

On the old key switch, which I cut out and exposed the wires bare, it required me to connect the pink, black and all red wires together to get it running normal. On the new key switch, in which I had two, the electrical continuity check only OK'd the red and black connection when I turned the key on, and leaving out the pink one. So in the new key switch, I connected the pink with the black without cutting them and put it in the ATV and voila.

I won't explain how it works, you tell me, I gotta go.

Eskimo

Woody_YZF 08-01-2003 08:45 PM

Right on, good to hear you got it working.

woody146 08-27-2003 12:25 AM

hello eskimo
glad to hear you got your key to work.as for the problem with you es i might be able to help a little as i had the same thing go wrong on mine. i changed the handel bar shiffter (at $100) just to find out that was not it. then the senser on the motor(at aroud $30) . not that ether. it was a broken wire on the right side rear wheel.where they plug in . so i cut out the plugs spliced them together. works good now. hope this helps
woody146.

Woody_393 08-27-2003 02:04 AM

Hey, welcome to ATM woody146, we are getting a lot of us on here... Hope to see you back often.

MotoMan 08-27-2003 09:28 AM

First of all I would like to welcome Woody146 and ESKIMO to the site!! :)

It sounds like you may have a viable solution to your electric shifting woes ESKIMO. Let us know what you find.

Post often guys!! :)

bcheek1 10-25-2007 11:09 PM

these bikes are electric shift-so if battery voltage gets alittle weak they dont shift well-try
charging battery
clean out the shift buttons
check voltage at shift buttons-ur key promblem could causing a voltage problem(check at shift buttons)
good luck