All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > ATV/UTV Forums > ATV/UTV - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Beginner Class

Default 400ex bearing carrier help!

I just removed the bearing carrier out of my 2002 400ex to see the bearings. My quad was making an awkward noise, so I thought it was the bearings. Anyways I took the carrier out to find that one bearing is destroyed. The inner ring of the actual bearing came out, along with the ball bearings, but how do I go about getting the outer ring of the bearing out along with the bearing on the other side? The bearing on the other side is still intact and seems to be in working order. Although i am going to replace it anyway. I can post pictures of the carrier itself if that would help.

One more thing, what type of grease, and where should I put the grease? I'd like some opinions cause im not 100% sure where to put the grease, and what type to use.

Last edited by jeffibew; 04-14-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Beginner Class

Default Re: 400ex bearing carrier help!

This is the side of the carrier that has the messed up bearing.
The white arrows point to the outer ring of the broken bearing

The left arrow is the ball bearings that literally fell out, and the Right arrow is a seal of some sort. Not 100% sure where that came from. I think it may be the outside of the bearing that seals the balls inside.

I thank everyone in advance for your time.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Kudos on posting the pics. That helps immensely when trying to get help from others.

As far as how to get it out, you are more than likely going to need a punch and hammer. You'll probably have to drive it out from the other side with a bit of force. Be sure to alternate sides so it will "walk out" more easily.

As far as the grease, I think those are sealed bearings, so none is required on the bearing itself (if I remember correctly).

You will however want to put a light coat of grease on the OUTSIDE of the bearing carrier before slipping it into the swingarm. I don't think you necessarily have to use a certain type of grease for this though. just some regular bearing grease should do fine for this.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Beginner Class

A buddy of mine said that I will have to press them out. I'm not sure who is full of it, but is it possible to press the bearings out?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Beginner Class

Unhappy Re: 400ex bearing carrier help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffibew View Post

This is the side of the carrier that has the messed up bearing.
The white arrows point to the outer ring of the broken bearing

The left arrow is the ball bearings that literally fell out, and the Right arrow is a seal of some sort. Not 100% sure where that came from. I think it may be the outside of the bearing that seals the balls inside.

I thank everyone in advance for your time.

Ok, in the first picture, I have the broken bearing. The bottom white arrow points to the bottom of the broken bearing. There is NO way I can beat it out from the other side. I tried using a chisel, cats paw, and various screwdrivers in an effort to pry it out. Now all that I have is a bunch of broken chisels, bent and chipped screwdrivers, and bent cats paws.
I also tried heating it up with a torch, and spraying WD-40 on it, and I am now waiting for the smoke to clear from my basement.
I am debating on whether or not to use a dremel with a diamond bit to try to cut the broken bearing to weaken it up. Any comments?

I am at a complete standstill and don't know what to do.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Beginner Class

Thumbs up Re: 400ex bearing carrier help!

Labeled #1 are the peices that I eventually got out. Pain in the
Then you will see on the right is the intact bearing that came out with ease,
and then you'll see the various parts that I had to beat to death to get out.

Oh and then there is the bent screwdriver.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Labeled #1 are the peices that I eventually got out. Pain in the
Then you will see on the right is the intact bearing that came out with ease,
and then you'll see the various parts that I had to beat to death to get out.

Oh and then there is the bent screwdriver.
Did you get them all out??

Some carriers have a step in them while others may have a snap ring in there.

Sorry to hear of the screwdriver!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Beginner Class

Yea, they all eventually came out. The white arrows are pointing to the peices of it. I didn't see a snap ring, nor a step in the schematic, so I hope I didn't mess anything up!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Beginner Class

This is about the worse one I've seen.
Clean it the best you can (inside and out of carrier as well as the inside of your swinger. Grease, grease, and more grease (the extra will come off on your first ride). How about your chain? Renthal makes the best I've used so far.
When you go back together with it use a good grease and seals.
If you haven't got your bearing yet, get the tappered bearing (made to take more load from impact and from the side). If you have just reg bearings they will be OK. I had a buddy help me with mine (I've replaced them before). He showed me how to pop off the seal of the bearings, pack with grease and replace the seal before install (the bearings need more grease, that little bit that they are shipped with will have you down in about 14mths).
He used a tacky blue Yamaha grease. This is about the best I've seen.
Mine are still going and its been 3 years now. Oh yea, grease up everything in that carrier (not just to make a mess but where grease is, the water will not). Clean it the best you can (inside and out of carrier as well as the inside of your swinger. Grease, grease, and more grease (the extra will come off on your first ride). How about your chain? Renthal makes the best I've used so far.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Beginner Class

My chain is fine. I just checked it. I thank you for all of your replies.

So, you are saying that the bearings and the sleeve need to be greased when I put it back together?
Oh, and I just looked over my chain again, and I noticed that for some odd reason, it does not have a master link. Maybe it is just a chain with a different looking master link, but I just cant find it.

One more thing. If anyone wants to know the proper way to tighten the chain on a 400ex, listen up. Measure 14" from the top of the axle to the top of the frame, and make the chain snug. Not tight, but just snug. It's as easy as that, and I find that much easier than guessing. This is for stock suspension only and only for the average weight rider as well. I dont know if that helped anyone, or will help in the future, but little tidbits of info are always useful.

Last edited by jeffibew; 04-18-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yea, they all eventually came out. The white arrows are pointing to the peices of it. I didn't see a snap ring, nor a step in the schematic, so I hope I didn't mess anything up!
Glad to hear you got all the pieces out!
Sponsored Ads
Old 04-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Beginner Class

There was a major sigh of releif once I got the last peice out. Now I'm just waiting on the parts
Old 04-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Beginner Class

Oh, and I took a grinder with a wire wheel on it and polished the whole carrier, and sleeve up. It looks brand new! It's too bad that its all going to get covered in grease tho

One more thing. What is the proper way of cleaning and servicing an air filter? I know it must be oiled, but what type of oil, and how should I clean it? I've always cleaned my air filters with gasoline or diesel. I'm just not sure if that is the proper way. This is the stock air filter by the way. My K&N got all chewed up by a squirrel.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Beginner Class

That chain is a factory chain and it does not have a master link.
I would get a new one (soon)!
The air filter... I clean my UNI with gas, sling out the exsess, let it dry for about an hour (clean out the air box at this time). Then spray it with foam filter spray oil (the red sticky stuff). Let that set before you ride or it seems to choke it down.
The K&N filters I don't like because they allow dirt in. Hold it up to the light and you will see the little pin holes in it. To clean them, there is a paper filter wash out there then a paper oil. I've ran these before and I used WD 40 to clean it or a bucket of Tide with bleach will get it nice and white again. Let it dry then spray it with the paper filter oil.
Now when I say let it dry I mean place in front of a fan or something not hit it with the air hose.
Don't get me wrong I do carry a K&N with me for the night time races as a back up. But not the hot dry dusty day of summer (K&N will let more air in)
Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Beginner Class

Your chain adjusting method.
I don't know about that.
I do know if you pick up the back end off the ground the chain is at is loosest point (as if going off a jump).
All this chain talk make me feel the need to check mine.

All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > ATV/UTV Forums > ATV/UTV - Honda