All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Reviews - Organized Rides - Recreation Areas - Classifieds > Product Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default FMF AOF Pre-Programmed Ignition

Below is my review on the FMF ignition I installed on my bike not long ago. After using it a bit I think I can give a fair accessment of it's performance.

I had never really noticed aftermarket ignitions until I read an article a couple years ago in a MXA magazine when Donny Emler's (FMF head honcho) bike was tested. It had stated that you could notice a difference between stock and the pre-programmed "torque" and "boost" curves.

After that I never really thought about it again. That was until a last month when I noticed a ignition from FMF that was off a 00 YZ125 on eBay. My stock CDI unit was fine, but for $50 the brand-new dual-curved ignition seemed to good to pass up! So I put my bid in and it stayed at that price until it ended.

So after some minor use as well as a 2-day trailride I can happily report that it was a great investment. Huge difference over stock power and the switch block gives my bike slightly higher "bling"!

INSTALLATION
Installation of this little gem was pretty easy. The actual procedure of hooking it up is fine. The only thing that takes up time is making sure the extra wiring is ziptied and routed so that it doesn't rub or interfere with tank and other cabling. The only thing that I needed to do is make one of the stock CDI bracket's hole and little larger so that I could position the FMF unit out of the way. The FMF ignition unit is actually a bit larger in size than its stock counterpart which makes it more easy to see from the outside.

PERFORMANCE
Both ignition curves what the claimed. The torque setting smooth out the hit and the power came on earlier and a bit slower than stock. This was good for stop-start situations, slippery hillclimbs, greasy trails where you don't want to break traction or use clutch. With this setting more gear changes were needed and in my opinion this torque setting was only needed in gears 1,2 and 3. If you were going fast enough for 4th or higher than the boost setting was a better option.

The boost setting was preferred everywhere else. It made the mighty little YZ rev faster hit harder and rev longer. Even though the power came on later in the rev-range, you rarely needed to really clutch it to find it. This is mainly because the bike reved quickly and found the top-end and power quickly. Think of stock plus a quicker revving and longer powerband and this is the boost setting. You could be riding along the transport sections in top-gear revving out in torque then switch to boost and the bike would perk up and rev out further and would take alot longer to drop off the power.

DURABILITY
So far this gadget has held up like new. As you would expect there is no problem for the actaul CDI unit, but the handlebar-mounted switchblock increased chance of damage. This little bugger copped rain, mud, flying rocks and debris, a good 3rd gear highside, and general abuse while riding. After this the switchblock still looks new and even the FMF sticker is looking like new!

Overall, I would recommend this product to anyone that can there hands on one. This will be hard as they are no longer made and distributed by FMF. This will make it harder to find one, however I wouldn't spend the RRP on one. Yes, it does help you change the way the power comes on, but you could spend your money on other more valuable things suspension, schools etc.

But if you find one on eBay or second-hand for cheap, I can assure you that it does in fact make a difference!

Peace out!

Last edited by Aus_Rider_22; 04-13-2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Retired now a House Biatch

Default Re: FMF AOF Pre-Programmed Ignition

I had one on my 99 YZ125 and found it worked even better with Iridium plugs. Don't know why and I don't have any dyno info to show but my seat of the pants test said it ran better.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:34 AM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie
I had one on my 99 YZ125 and found it worked even better with Iridium plugs. Don't know why and I don't have any dyno info to show but my seat of the pants test said it ran better.
That's funny because I usually use Iridium plugs but my local dealership didn't have any stock and I haven't got to try the ignition with the good ole IX's.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:13 AM
ATM Contributor!

Just an update to see how it stands up to regular use/abuse.

The switchblock is in remarkably good condition considering I have taken some good falls since its installation. One that required me to loosen rubber barmounts and re-adjust bar position. And another impact that snapped clutch perch and twisted the switchblock around on bars.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Expert Class

This might help ya in case you may ever need to get part etc for it. Those FMF AOF ignitions are really re badged Wulf ignitions. They thought they'd sell better over in the US under a more familar name brand.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:23 PM
ATM Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamxp1mp
This might help ya in case you may ever need to get part etc for it. Those FMF AOF ignitions are really re badged Wulf ignitions. They thought they'd sell better over in the US under a more familar name brand.
Didn't know that, you learn something new everyday!

Hopefully I won't be needing any parts or further servicing.

On a side note: will finally get to try the Iridium plugs with this system as yzernie believes they run better with them. Also will get to test my new V-Force2 reed block. Can't wait!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default help needed with fmf aof power ignition

i see this post is pretty old but I just bought a nice built 00 kx125 need help has the fmf power ignition setup. but theres no switchblock anywhere to be fined Im trying to get ahold of fmf but they seem really slow to get back to you so I thought Id ask on here. I just need a schematic or diagram for it and does anyone know if they all came with the switch block or were some just one setting. there are somewires he had just put in the air box but I dunno if I can wire a switch block to them or not.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Reviews - Organized Rides - Recreation Areas - Classifieds > Product Reviews