All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Beginner Class

Default RM 250 98 model probs

hi people this looks like a pretty cool site with lots of courtious and helpful people who i hope can help me. the story is.... goin riding on my RM 250 98 model and fuel/gas started spewin from the carby. took apart and found a bit of leaf between the needle and seat so cleaned, but still spewin out the overflow, so i puled apart and though i might as well rebuild the top end with it pulled down this far, anyways cleaned the hell out of the carb and put bike back together. turned on fuel , and it started spewin out the overfow again and get this, kicked it over, hard to start but when it did, she revved her **** off and wouldn't shut down. even with the cut out switch had to dump fuel to stop i have been meddlin for weeks and got no ideas could any one please shed some light on my frustrating problem
thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Beginner Class

Default Re: RM 250 98 model probs

Hi,

only a basic suggestion, but if you have a manual for the bike then i'd start by stripping and rebuilding the carb from scrath. It sounds like the float height is set wrong, this would account for the flowing of the fuel and the high rev of the bike, but it's always worth checking everything.

Cheers
Pete
Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Beginner Class

the float height might account for the excess fuel, but for the revving, you could have a bad crank seal/vaccum leak. is your exhaust sploogey?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:05 PM
ATM! Pro Class

good suggestion on the seal(s). From what the post says, the over revving occured after having the carburetor down, so I am betting on a slide installation problem. Cable case up in it's socket etc.

Combine that with a little bit of a high float and the vibration of a rig running on 10 year old mains will shake fuel out of anything that I have seen.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Check to make sure that the cable isn't hung up ont he top of the carb. I changed clip position one time and when I kicked 'er over it revved to the moon. I found the cable housing had hung up on the top of the carb and held the throttle wide open desite my usual tug to make sure that the cable wasn't bound up.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Intermediate Class

yes, the floatboat hight is set imporperly.hold the carb in upright positon as if it were mounted on the bike and them push the floats to about level and see if it is depressing the valve and make your adjustments from there. High float level will just amke it run horribly rich, and if u tried to jet it with the floatbowl settings incorrect, its a nightmare when u fix the problem. after u have fixed the carb and made sure it doesnt piss everywhere, install it and check the cables as von baron had instructed, I to have done the same :P get a new sparkplug and to plug check periodicly. ride how you normally do for about 5 minutes at a time and check the plug. a mild coca color ranging from a chocolate color to a dark tan color is about in the range. when you have put a few hours on it, if the plugs telling u its too light, go to a colder sparkplug range, and if it is too black, go to a hotter range. your local parts shop will be able to tell you what is hotter or colder from what u have installed. The sparkplug rage should only be changed when u have the bike jetted to its optimum range and it is running near perfect. As for the Air leak... if the trottle calbe was the issue you can skip this part, but i should throw baby powder or soapy water around the carborator boot on the motor intake side and rev it for a little while and see if it moistens or bubbles. and if not, take your magneto cover off and use some carberator cleaner with a red straw that comes with and angle it twards your seals and if the rev climbs up, theres a leak. also check the base gasket of the cylinder with either soapy water or baby powder.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki