All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default no spark 2003 rm125

ive searched the forum and found some really good ideas but still no solition. ive got a 2003 suzuki rm125 and just did a fresh top and bottom rebuild. after install i cannot get it to start. took the plug off and found it had no spark. so far ive tried the following but still no spark:

1) swapped the spark plug
2) swapped the ignition coil
3) swapped the cdi box
4) swapped the stator
5) disconnected the kill switch

prior to the rebuild i had an issue with the rotor/magneto and i think the little "key" got slightly damaged in the process. It still fits in the hole and the rotor/magneto fits over it fine but something tells me this may be the problem. the parts that are listed above that were swapped, were taken from a parts bike that i got when i bought this bike. so maybe they are bad as well. id like to know how to test the ignition coil and stator. id like it in lamen terms if possible. thanks for any advice and i look forward to hearing any suggestions.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM
ATM! Addict

You will need a service manual for the spec's for testing the coil and the stator. They both require OHM's testing to make sure they are good. These are easy test with an OHM meter but the spec's will only be found in the service manual.

Paw Paw
Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Welcome To ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
You will need a service manual for the spec's for testing the coil and the stator. They both require OHM's testing to make sure they are good. These are easy test with an OHM meter but the spec's will only be found in the service manual.

Paw Paw
tks paw paw!!

heres what i found:

in the manual, it lays out the resistance for each piece of the stator:
1) red/white wire - black/red wire= 18-30 ohms
2) green wire - red wire= 75-125 ohms

Im no electrician but, heres what i did. I set my meter to the lowest ohms settings which is the 200 ohms setting. without touching the leads to anything, the meter reads: "1 . " im assuming this means infinite? When I touch the leads to the "red/white wire and black/red wire" the meter stays with a readout of "1 . " on both stators that i have & when i touch the leads to the "green wire and the red wire" i get a readout of "100.1" on one stator and a readout of "100.7" on the other stator. does this mean both stators are bad?

Thanks for your help and thanks for reading.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 PM
ATM! Addict

red/white wire - black/red wire shows to have an open circuit. Look for a broken wire. ( assuming these wires were disconnected from the wiring harness)
The other pair shows good as it's within spec's.

Now, what did you get on the coil readings on the primary and secondary sides? It needs to be checked as well.

Paw Paw
Old 03-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Welcome To ATM

Quote:
red/white wire - black/red wire shows to have an open circuit. Look for a broken wire. ( assuming these wires were disconnected from the wiring harness)
The other pair shows good as it's within spec's.

Now, what did you get on the coil readings on the primary and secondary sides? It needs to be checked as well.

Paw Paw
thks for the quick response.

the wires are disconnected from the harness on the bike. they seem solid but i will inspect them closer. seems odd that both stators would be bad though.

the coils... the manual calls for
1) PRIMARY: white/blue wire - black/white wire= 0.15- 0.45 ohms
2) SECONDARY: plug cap - white/blue= 12-21k ohms

when i test both coils i get the following readings:
coil #1
primary: (with meter set to lowest ohm settings) "0.6" ohms ~wouldnt this be too high as per the manual?~
secondary: (with meter set to 20k ohms settings, due to the manual calling for 12-21K) "1 . " which i again assume is infinite

coil #2
primary: (with meter set to lowest ohm settings) "0.7" ohms ~wouldnt this be too high as per manual as well?~
secondary: (with meter set the 20k ohms settings, due to the manual calling for 12-21k ohms) "5.97" k ohms ~wouldnt this be too low?~

Seems like i have two bad ignition coils as well??

Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:54 PM
ATM! Addict

Default ??????

The secondary readings show some sort of grounded secondary circuit.
The primary numbers show high as well. ( Normal conditions of a bad coil would show a reading that was too low rather than one that is too high. The low reading would show that coil could and most likely would break down under a load. The higher reading you show indicates that there is excess resistance in the coil and it would not create a spark.)
It seems odd that all these parts would go bad as they seldom go bad. I feel like there is something else wrong in the wiring harness that may be grounding these units out or shorting them out.
From here I would do an ohm test on each wire in the harness.

Paw Paw
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Pro Class

Make sure to take all of the little grounding "eyelets" and sand all of the rust and gunk from them and also make sure that the grounding surface is bare metal, as well.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Welcome To ATM

Quote:
The secondary readings show some sort of grounded secondary circuit.
The primary numbers show high as well. ( Normal conditions of a bad coil would show a reading that was too low rather than one that is too high. The low reading would show that coil could and most likely would break down under a load. The higher reading you show indicates that there is excess resistance in the coil and it would not create a spark.)
It seems odd that all these parts would go bad as they seldom go bad. I feel like there is something else wrong in the wiring harness that may be grounding these units out or shorting them out.
From here I would do an ohm test on each wire in the harness.

Paw Paw
hey bud

i ordered brand new ignition coil and stator gotta wait a few days for them to arrive, will update upon arrival. thanks!

heres to taking chances right!

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randog Leader View Post
Make sure to take all of the little grounding "eyelets" and sand all of the rust and gunk from them and also make sure that the grounding surface is bare metal, as well.
thanks for the advice! will be prepping those surfaces in anticipation of arrival of the new parts.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Pro Class

Yeah, it's easily overlooked but if it doesn't have good conductivity, it won't work.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:16 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default 1995 rm125 no spark

Hey guys new to the page, forgive me if i post anything in the wrong place.

I have a 1995 rm125 that has no spark. So far i have

replaced stator (brand new, the third one i have bought from this company)
.replaced cdi ( all readings ohm out within specs)
.new coil pack
replaced flywheel
disconnected killswitch

I have correct voltage production for stator and pulser coil, correct peak volts at spark plug wire, correct ohm and continuity readings everywhere. And no spark. Have tried many spark plugs, with NGK Br8eg, and Br10eg. Not even a shock from spark plug wire until yesterday. Only once but never again. Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

Nosparkrm.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki