All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Welcome To ATM

Angry 2007 rm 250 high idle

help help help..... i have a 2007 rm 250 2 stroke. it is driving me mental. it is overheating,(losing coolant) and when coming off full throttle the idle revs very high but if i let the clutch out to biting point the idle drops to normal. i thought it was the throttle position sensor, bought a 2006 carb off ebay but same problem.i found a slight notch in the rubber between the carb and intake. i replaced this with a new rubber and it runs better but it still has an irregular idle and is overheating really easy. ive tried adjusting jetting but if i richen it out it bogs like an old cow. and if i lean it out it pings and bangs and overheats. i'm pretty sure i have an air leak somewhere else but not sure where. i replaced the crank and seals a while ago. could it be a leak at the stator side?
please help!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default air leaks

sounds like you have a massive air leak. perform a leak down test with the stator and clutch side off. check around the head,basegasket, seals,and especialy the readcage.If all those check out with soapy water(leaks will blow bubles) the only other leak would be the crankcase itself. check for rock damage to the underside of the case and perform a test around the edges. a properly sealed engine should hold @ 8 pounds for an exstended time 10 minutes would be good.some leaks only manifest at tempeture and can be tricky to find.using the propane test should indicate these.BUT I STRONGLY SUGEST YOU HAVE AN ASISTANT HANDY WITH A FIRE EXSTINGUSURE.AS THE ENGIINE WILL BE RUNNING.when the leak is found the engine idle will imidiatly drop.while the gas is aplied(dont light the tourch)
The problem that is a secondary result is a very lean condition that will overheat the engine almost certainly causing piston and/or cylinder damage.
pulling the exuast will tell the story.

Last edited by gaklx250; 02-11-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: adding more details
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default rm250 high idle

hey, thanks gaklx250 for your reply. good news is no air leak.. overheating was down to timing. thats sorted, replaced crank seal, intake boot and gasket, cylinder head o'rings and base gasket, ht lead and spark plug cap and about 3000 spark plugs and new stator. spent the day getting the jetting sorted, runs great, power is perfect but it still idles too high for at least 30 sec then drops down to normal. found that when i unscrew the idle all the way out (slide closes fully) the idle drops down instantly, but this obviously causes the bike to stall.as soon as i turn the idle in any amount the idle runs on too high. this sugests a problem with the pilot circuit. the only thing i have found that is definitely not working is the carb solenoid. this should be on between 2000 and 3000rpm and 9300 and 10500rpm. with the solenoid removed from the carb but still plugged into the wiring harness it does not change state when i run the bike. when i connect the solenoid to a 12v battery it operates correctly so the solenoid itself is ok. i checked the solenoid plug connection with my volt meter and at 2000 - 3000rpm i get about 10v, so this is obviously not enough voltage to operate the solenoid. i'm guessing there could be some damage to the wiring loom, maybe some water got in and causing the volts drop. i have ordered a replacement wiring loom but i'm not sure if the solenoid not working would be the cause of the high idle because between 0-2000rpm the solenoid should be off, which it is(because its not working). the fact that i'm getting 10v at the right rpm makes me think the cdi is ok????????????? if need be, ive found a second hand cdi at a breakers. i managed a compromise with the jetting and idle, so its a bit rich at the bottom end but doesn't stall straight away.... i rode the bike on sunday in some really boggy tough conditions and it never overheated once but its still not right..... any suggestions bud?
Sponsored Ads

All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki