All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Novice Class

Default 2002 RM 250 update/ Clutch nut size??

Hi Guys,
Well I have been taking my time with the bike. I had initially complained of a few things: there was sputter when I was test riding the bike before I bought it; I thought the clutch was not engaging and that there was a lurch when engaging first; I also felt that the kick start stroke dropped too easily. With the help of the Clymer manual and many of the Zuke nuts on ATM + Faded I figured out a lot of things. I took apart and cleaned the carb and jets leaving the needle the same. It came with a sweet FMF Gnarly gold pipe and silencer. I stripped down the silencer and repacked it with 2 stroke FMF packing. I drained the fluids including old premix in the tank from the previous owner; antifreeze and transmission oil. I broke apart the clutch to find serious notching on the outer basket and some visible notching on the inner basket. I decided to save a little and bought a Magnum aluminum billet outer basket ($139) and an OEM inner basket + Tusk friction plates and gaskets. What is the metric size of the big nut on the 2002 RM 250 clutch center??.. 22 mm is too small and 32 is too big (I went to Sears twice today and will have to go back tomorrow). Is it 27 mm????
I know the Hinsons are super sweet, but just a little too pricey at the moment. I have removed the cylinder and old piston/ring/wrist pin and got a Wiseco replacement + gasket set. As I had the head off I decided to open and inspect/clean the exhaust valve assembly. Lo and behold the retaining bolt on the shift arm assembly (per OEM spec and Clymer manual) was missing!! Sputter problem - answer found??!!!??? When I tried to order the OEM bolt, the Suzuki part number was superceded. I found the right size bolt in the Tusk metric MX bolt kit. I shortened it too fit flush since the OEM screw is just not available. The exhaust valve assembly moves beautifully now - at least manually and visually. I plan to try 93 premium gas with Golden Spectro @ 36:1 vs the Clymer manuals 32:1. The new Uni filter is well oiled and in place. Once I get the big clutch nut off the real fun begins.

All the best
Sean
Sponsored Ads
Old 11-12-2008, 06:35 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Sean, sounds like a fun project! It's nice when your finished and knowing that you put the time into getting everything working the way it's supposed to. If you have a caliper, it should give you the mm size of the nut. If not, measure the the nut with an adjustable wrench and use a tape measure to find the size socket. Hope this helps.

-Kevin-

All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki