All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Beginner Class

Unhappy 1994 lt50 quad please help

hi i have just brought this quad and it will not start, i have a good spark, fuel is getting to the plug ,good compression, on the fuel tank there are two pipes 1 to the carb, 1 to the head marked prime when on prime fuel pours into the head and if the quad doesnt start it fills the exhaust up, it says in the manual use prime to start a cold engine then switch over to the other pipe which goes to the carb when started, i have pulled the starter cord so much i have blisters please help thanks dave
Old 02-08-2009, 04:07 PM
ATM Contributor!

whats your plug look like? if its wet, its flooded. let it sit overnight and try a new plug. Has it been sitting a while? the carb may need a little cleaning.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Beginner Class

Default lt 50 wont start

Hi there i has similar problems with my sons lt50 i tried a few things ie remove air filter as it can be very restrictive also every time i start from cold i lean the quad to the left untill petrol comes out of overflow pipe without doing this mines nearly imposible to start as well.as for the air filter only take out to try and solve the starting problems dont run without airfilter for long. Iv put a k&n style filter on with great improvment. id give this a try as mine had exactly the same symptoms/problems starting as yours and this solved it.

Regards iash101
Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Beginner Class

Default thanks do you remember which tube went to inlet on the carb and head

Quote:
Originally Posted by iash101 View Post
Hi there i has similar problems with my sons lt50 i tried a few things ie remove air filter as it can be very restrictive also every time i start from cold i lean the quad to the left untill petrol comes out of overflow pipe without doing this mines nearly imposible to start as well.as for the air filter only take out to try and solve the starting problems dont run without airfilter for long. Iv put a k&n style filter on with great improvment. id give this a try as mine had exactly the same symptoms/problems starting as yours and this solved it.

Regards iash101
thanks do you remember which pipe from the petrol tank went to the carb and head
Sponsored Ads
Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Beginner Class

Default TUBE INLE/HEAD

On mine the vertical outlet on tap goes to the carb and horizontal to the head hope this helps
regards iash101
Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Intermediate Class

The hose that is dumping fuel when the petcock is in the prime position needs to go to the carb. The other hose goes to the intake ( between the carb and the cyl) it is the vacuum supply to the petcock. Fuel only moves from the tank to the carb, not to the intake or head directly. Use the prime position if it has been sitting for a while and you want to prime the carb. Normally leave it in the on position and the gas will flow only when there is vacuum from the engine running. It is designed to work like this because the little ones donít know to turn it off
Old 02-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Beginner Class

Default thanks

thanks i have them round the wrong way will let you no on friday thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Beginner Class

thanks for the replys ,i changed the pipes round but it only fires then cuts out i have to squirt cold start in the carb or nothing fires any answers thanks dave
Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Beginner Class

Default reply to not srarting

Hi there sounds like theres no petrol getting to the carb to me.first of all id remove the petrol pipe from the carb housing then turn on the petrol tap to determine weather you have petrol flowing through pipe to carb.like i said in previous reply on mine it runs best if i turn tap to horizontal position ie running in to the carb not direct in to inlet.if you have fuel running out of pipe then you know the fuel tap is ok.if not iv read about rust in fuel tank blocking the tap id then take tap off and check it out,theres a liitle gause filter in there perhaps that may be blocked.Iff you have petrol flowing out of pipe id then check to see if its enetering the carb by removing needle valve that the pipe fits on to and check that its working .you can do this by reconecting rubber pipe turn on petrol tap .you should have petrol running through streight away and when you press the pin it should stop the flow.if valve is working correctly you could then check the float is not stuck somehow in the up position or check the hieght setting.now iv been having trouble with mine starting it would start but took a while.so i ordered a new float which should be preset at rite level but when i fitted it it just made things worse. so i adjusted the hieght by bending the little tab untill the gap was about 1mm instead of the approx 2mm factory setting after doing that it starts 3rd pull no matter what .im not saying its the rite setting but it works fine om mine also i found leaning the quad to the left untill fuel run out of overflow pipe would help as well

hope you sort it out regards iah101
Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Beginner Class

Default lt50

hi do you mean take the top of the carb of then look down the carb top to see if petrol is getting through ,what pin are to talking about,the gap on the float is that the distance between the top of the float and the metal tag thanks dave
Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Beginner Class

Default reply to dave1

Hi there dave if you take the bottom of carb off by unscrewing the 4 screws youl see the float on a pivot .on the float theres tang that presses on a valve when the fuel level rises the float if the tang is set to high it shuts off the fuel to early and starves the engine of fuel.its easy to see how it works once stripped down.once youve got the carb apart and in your hand reconect the fuel line and turn fuel tap on if you have fuel running out then you know the valve is working when you press the pin in center of valve the fuel should then stop. like i said this caused all sorts of starting problems with mine so its worth a look.

iv enclosed a link for a parts diagram for lt50 have a look at carburetor section no.18 on carb diagram is the valve im talking about and no.36 is the float .
sorry for confusing you not verry good putting things to words lol

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

regards iash101
Old 02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Beginner Class

Default iash

thanks i see what you mean, when i adj the float how can i tell its adj right because you cannot see it do you no the mixture settings on the carb
Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Beginner Class

Default Reply to dave1

If you set it to a gap of about 1mm like i said i bought a new float which was factory set at about 2mm but it messed things rite up for me i think you should be near.its trealy trial and error but if its set so that the fiel level is to high fuel will run out of the overflow if so just use a screw driver to gently prixe open the tang a little as for fuel mixture the lt uses a stacked pilot jet for a restrictor if you look at the carb diagram youl see theres two liitle jets screwed in on top of each other you better off removing the top one and leaving the second one if you hold the carb upside down with cover of under neath the float you see it its tiny about 1.5mm diamiter and down a hole slightly as for setting mixture screw (ie mixture screw nearest air filter )turn all the way in then back off 1and half turns leave like that untill you get it started once you get it started leave warm up then turn in slightly untill engine nearly dies then turn out 8th of a turn until engine revs reach there highest onve done turn back in a fraction then set idle speed with idle screw.another thing to check is to look through the carb from airfilter side and check the slide which goes up and down when you press throttle is returning all way home when you ease off the throttle if its not ease of the adjuster on throttle cable under fuel tank untill it does .also try with out airfilter out as it can be very restrictive once started rerplace as soon as possible not to damage engine.

hope this makes sense iash101
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Beginner Class

Default Hi dave1

Im just thinking it may be easyer if i list in order the way id check it.

1.check fuel coming through fuel line out of tank (clean filter on tap in fuel tank)
2.check that the valve on the end of fuel line is working ie letting petrol into the carb
3. check/adjust float tang to aprox 1mm
4. remove stacked pilot jet (the first one you unscrew)
5. set mixture screw to 1.5 turns out
6. check throttle slide returns all the way home( adjust cable if not)
7. remove air filter (but replace once started)
8 once started replace cleaned airfilter
9.adust mixture screw

ps before i do all this id put in new spark plug for good measure

hope you get it going cos mine done my head in for weeks got there in the end though!!!
regards iash101
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Beginner Class

Default a big thanks

to everyone done what you said and it started 3rd pull,a rattling noise coming from the head,maybe a small bearing needed soon,if i remove the stacked jet will it give more power thanks dave

All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki