All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2006, 07:54 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: More HP for 2000 KX60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henway
You might know how to tune for the dirt, but the requirements for roadracing are probably more different than I originally expected. Try playing on paved roads if you're up to it
Let's see...The short list of FFR riders who roadrace...
Tuned for Jason DiSalvo(presently factory Yamaha) when he was an amateur.
Tuned for Nicholas Cummings(Formula USA Grand Champion and AMA Rookie of the year) both amateur and pro.
Tuned for Mark Burkhart(Factory Yamaha Supermoto) the year before the factory hired him.
Tuned for Hayden Gilliam(Nicky Haydens cousin) who recently podiumed in Spain at an International RR Challenge for mini RRers.
Even though I still contend that asphalt is for getting TO the race track!!!
Tdub
Old 02-18-2006, 10:57 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Hen, please let me help you here. You have apparently gotten mixed up and seem to think you might be the only one with or have ever had such a number plate (1).
Now, if you are racing in a class where the competition is such that you need a 60cc motorcycle engine, powering something on racing slicks that REQUIRES a good low end to it then maybe you should keep the stock carb and porting on that rig. Personally I found the carburetor too small for any kind of racing. Then again as I said we had an agressive 9-10 year old riding it. I have no idea apparently of the competition level where you are at obviously. I am sorry that I went and dug up some specs on the engines that we built. I am sure that caused you some stress to have to read that.
Oh, again, to help clear up confusion, you are not the only one here to have ridden on the pavement either.
Good luck!!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Beginner Class

My only assumption here was people would give their opinion as to what worked for them.
And I got and appreciate the feedback and suggestions. Because of their expertise and experience I hopefully can infer what changes will help me, as my requirements are definitely different than a typical application.
As one of the suggestions, I bought the VForce3 reed block. I'll try to get a dyno chart on it when I get the chance (and there is a free dyno day) and compare it to the before chart so there is something tangible and repeatable. It would seem to be one of the few mods which will affect the power from the bottom to the top evenly.

Look, it's tough figuring out the sarcasm level as we can't see each other. I thought I responded in far less of an inflammatory manner than I was baited on. And I was definitely bainted. Now you're upset that I kidded back?
I'd like to try the dirt again, but the last time I tried it (15 years ago) I ended up with kidney pain that lasted 2 weeks! Do you get used to it or do I just have sensitive kidneys?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:21 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Hey Tryce,,,big deal about all those champions you tuned for! Can you get 17 hp out of an NSR50 Honda??
Old 02-18-2006, 11:36 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Hen
you are 36 not 16 so you get a little different response. No I am not upset you kidded back. But you took on the approach of that other age group I mentioned. Sorry if what I suggested wasn't out of a catolog that you just bolt on. Shucks from your first post I thought you had a real handle on what you wanted. I can see it is pretty special (dont know how to put eye rolls in here.) Again, I just assumed you would be able to put some of that to use. It is a pretty easy little engine to get hp out of since it is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY mild to start with. Drilling the piston is probably the single biggest easy step. If you can get yours out and send it to me I will have my "driller" do it for free (like I said I a scared of things like drills).
By the way,,whose garage are you going to be racing in?
Like I said though, if you are serious about "catalog tuning", put on the part, put on the stickers and FEEEEEEEL the power. Never dyno'd a 60 with a different reed block so I can't wait to see what you found. The ones we put on the 125's and 250's seem to make different response characteristics. No real measureable hp gains. But read what you want and use your own imagination.
On your kidneys, get a kidney belt. Mine seldom bother me, but I like to think I stay in shape too. (Now don't go telling me you qualified for the Olympics.) A GoldSeal belt is cheap and works usually. WOW,,can't believe you made some silly street challenge,,,and asked if I would be up for it LOL, then tell me your kidneys hurt 15 years ago.
There are few people who I hold in higher regard than any motorcycle racer. Please believe I am sincere in that. No matter how confused they are.

Last edited by ossagp1; 02-21-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:06 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Aw shucks Andy, you are such a card!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:15 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Henway, Ossa and FFR aren't making suggestions on what to do and 'hoping' for results. These guys have built these motors and they know what works...and you chose the 'opinion' of a 16 year old over a porting spec from a tuner building bikes to run on a 1/4 mile ice oval that was smoking bikes with a 30% displacement advantage.

What's crazy is that it happens all the time, the guys 'in the know' get shot down all the time for recommending something that will actually work, and they have proof!

No flame intended, just trying to shine some light on the subject. Good luck with your bike, and let us know how those V3's work.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Welcome To ATM

Henway, just to resurrect an old thread, I thought you might like to know the whereabouts of your bike - at least, statistically, given the descriptions above what is most probably your bike. It is in Iowa, about to head to Ohio when UShip shows up sometime around April 10, and will run the F3 class in OMRL this summer. Hopefully... Anyway, just wanted to make contact and see if you would be open to questions about the bike should I encounter them in the future. Best, JE

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Kawasaki