All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Kawasaki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Beginner Class

awesome 1983 KDX 250

For those of you of havent read my last post about the KDX 250, I recently recieved a 1983 KDX 250 in extremely good condition for free. yes for free. I did pay a dime for any thing. One small but big problem. The motor sucked the two crankseals back in 1992. So the bike has been taken apart sense then. Anyways I received the motor in cardboard boxes. I've never assembled a two-stroke engine before but how hard could it be? Afterall I've built many many small and bigblock chevys. I download all the right diagrams from Kawasaki's page and had the service manual from the guy who gave me the bike. There was only ONE part missing out of the boxes that held the engine. A small circlip for the transmission. I ordered one from Kawasaki and was ready to assemble the motor. I sent the cylinder off to LA Sleeve for a nice to sleeve and a Wiseco piston. I havent received the cylinder back from la sleeve but i've been able to assemble the motor. I put everything together and put the motor in the bike. Minus the cylinder and head. re-painted the exhaust and poslihed the silencer, new clutch lever and bracket. And completley re-built the digital trip gauge. everything works perfect on the bike. just cant wait for the cylinder!!! A few things have been bugging me though. the Throttle doesnt snap back as quick is my '00 KDX 200 and the gear shifter lever seal leaks around the case. All the seals are new, the only thing i can think of way its leaking is maybe i screwed up the seat surface on were the seal sits. i've put some threebond 1211 around the seal and the case hopefully it isnt leaking when i get back home tmw. anybody have some comments on that? oh yeah also i was wondering if I can put a front disc setup on this bike. The drums do work well but i'd like to have a disc instead. Hopefully this bike was worth the $500 i've put into it to rebuild it!. I poped for a UNI filter also
Old 05-09-2003, 08:57 PM
ATM Founder

Default Re: 1983 KDX 250

Quote:
Originally posted by Mhzman
For those of you of havent read my last post about the KDX 250, I recently recieved a 1983 KDX 250 in extremely good condition for free. yes for free. I did pay a dime for any thing. One small but big problem. The motor sucked the two crankseals back in 1992. So the bike has been taken apart sense then. Anyways I received the motor in cardboard boxes. I've never assembled a two-stroke engine before but how hard could it be? Afterall I've built many many small and bigblock chevys. I download all the right diagrams from Kawasaki's page and had the service manual from the guy who gave me the bike. There was only ONE part missing out of the boxes that held the engine. A small circlip for the transmission. I ordered one from Kawasaki and was ready to assemble the motor. I sent the cylinder off to LA Sleeve for a nice to sleeve and a Wiseco piston. I havent received the cylinder back from la sleeve but i've been able to assemble the motor. I put everything together and put the motor in the bike. Minus the cylinder and head. re-painted the exhaust and poslihed the silencer, new clutch lever and bracket. And completley re-built the digital trip gauge. everything works perfect on the bike. just cant wait for the cylinder!!! A few things have been bugging me though. the Throttle doesnt snap back as quick is my '00 KDX 200 and the gear shifter lever seal leaks around the case. All the seals are new, the only thing i can think of way its leaking is maybe i screwed up the seat surface on were the seal sits. i've put some threebond 1211 around the seal and the case hopefully it isnt leaking when i get back home tmw. anybody have some comments on that? oh yeah also i was wondering if I can put a front disc setup on this bike. The drums do work well but i'd like to have a disc instead. Hopefully this bike was worth the $500 i've put into it to rebuild it!. I poped for a UNI filter also
Sounds like you have had a lot of fun putting it together! Heck, that should make it worth the $500. You might have just buggered up the seal when you installed it. Try it out and if it continues to leak, replace it.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Kawasaki