All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default New to the shed! 2006 CR125R

This just happened to come up on gumtree the other day! I went to have a look and decided to get it

I've wanted a Honda two stroke for ages and I've been looking for a reasonable condition one that wasn't well overpriced and this one was basically what I was looking for...

The good...
-PWK A/S-just so happened that the owner didn't even know this was a popular mod! Haha I filled him in... Sadly the stock carb didn't come with the bike.
-V-Force reeds, a common bit of hardware upgrade...
-BUD racing head... Although I'm not sure what is achieved by installing these heads it's cool to have one anyways, I'd be curious to know what you gain from one of these heads...?
-full system pipe... Although a little bashed it'll make for a GREAT rough and tumble race pipe lol...
-new brake discs
-new protaper bars
-bunch of oils etc
-near new tires, although a little hard now...

The bad...
-missing hardware
-rough plastics
-fork seals gone
-a bit rough around the edges

Here she is... And let's just say that my love for Hondas is finally rekindled!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

I would be curious to know more about the motor, handling and suspension... I guess I brought with no real consideration for the important aspects lol...
Old 03-13-2016, 11:11 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Nice find!

Per your question, here's what I know about the 2006 tiddler.

Honda had pretty much abandoned their two stroke development by 2003.
The 2006 CR125 is identical to the 2005 CR125 which was identical to the
2004 CR125, etc.

The good news is you've got a nice handling frame with a well sorted
suspension. The build quality is typical Honda as are the ergonomics.

The bad news is the engine is still a 5 speed with a narrow, abrupt powerband.
When compared to the 4Ts you're used to riding, the short powerband will be
especially noticeable.

The bike should be fairly easy to restore back to "like new" condition, especially
for somebody at your skill level, and would make a decent play bike. I wouldn't
recommend racing it unless you are more talented than the rest of the field and
really enjoy a challenge.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:04 AM
Intermediate Class

Bud racing head will give you lower running temps. Plus they have a removable head dome. You can buy other compression options or get your own made up with the correct squish for the fuel you use etc.
I use VHM heads. I get the head domes custom made and also ceramic coated.

What are you plans? Big buget, or low buget build up?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:24 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger315 View Post
Nice find!

Per your question, here's what I know about the 2006 tiddler.

Honda had pretty much abandoned their two stroke development by 2003.
The 2006 CR125 is identical to the 2005 CR125 which was identical to the
2004 CR125, etc.

The good news is you've got a nice handling frame with a well sorted
suspension. The build quality is typical Honda as are the ergonomics.

The bad news is the engine is still a 5 speed with a narrow, abrupt powerband.
When compared to the 4Ts you're used to riding, the short powerband will be
especially noticeable.

The bike should be fairly easy to restore back to "like new" condition, especially
for somebody at your skill level, and would make a decent play bike. I wouldn't
recommend racing it unless you are more talented than the rest of the field and
really enjoy a challenge.
Thanks for the reply Don!
As for the chassis I'm not surprised there, the ergonomics are awesome and I still think the CRs look great!
I'm a little bummed about the motor and sadly I doubt there's much you can do to work out the 'light switch' powerband or just 'increase the bottom end'... A good training tool however and partly why I purchased it
I have pretty much mapped out my plan for the basic restoration...

Suspension-gold valve front and rear/springs/replace worn components ( I'll just send the suspension off instead of fiddling myself )
Chassis and chassis components-Mirror Polish where necessary ( it yields better results on certain parts ) followed with vapor blast on all natural cast AL parts.
Wheel set-probably look at A60s laced to the oem hubs ( can't justify billet hubs...)
Chassis-bearings ( linkage/swingarm etc )check and replace with oem components ( I still don't believe in aftermarket kits )
Hardware-new where needed then potentially look at 'gold' cadium plated then tempered to relieve the hydrogen embrittlement...

Obviously new chain sliders, grips, cables, control levers, seat cover, plastics etc etc
Engine-complete strip and rebuild worn parts replaced and engine cases vapor blasted... I have some cool ideas for the clutch cover and idnition cover.
I'm not too concerned about power but may look at some porting work and jet accordingly...

That's as far as I've thought...

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroke bloke View Post
Bud racing head will give you lower running temps. Plus they have a removable head dome. You can buy other compression options or get your own made up with the correct squish for the fuel you use etc.
I use VHM heads. I get the head domes custom made and also ceramic coated.

What are you plans? Big buget, or low buget build up?
Interesting! I've never used one so this will be something new for me
Plans are 'basically' outlined above... Endless budget because like you I have patience ( I think lol )... I really want to have a pretty 'basic' build nothing crazy but something that goes as good as it looks and it will look good!

I'm thinking of something like a Lucas oil graphics, my colour scheme will be gold-yellow ( the type used by Honda back in the day I guess... ), blue and red...
Old 03-15-2016, 08:08 AM
Intermediate Class

I like my graphics to be differnt to anyone elses.

On the 265, I'm thinking "FigJam" on the shrouds. "Spread it on thick" on the swing arm .
Old 03-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Expert Class

The best thing you can do for the suspension is swap to 04+ twin chambers from a CR250, CRF450, CRF250 etc. It's a direct bolt on. Run a 53 tooth sprocket to help the bottom end response and get rid of that silly green chain while you're at it.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:52 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMV View Post
The best thing you can do for the suspension is swap to 04+ twin chambers from a CR250, CRF450, CRF250 etc. It's a direct bolt on. Run a 53 tooth sprocket to help the bottom end response and get rid of that silly green chain while you're at it.
Thanks for the input!!!
I was wondering about the front forks, so I guess I'll start hunting for a set of forks.... By direct bolt on you mean the brake calliper, wheel and axle from the 125 will just bolt on too?

Yes who in the world runs a green chain!? Better still you should have seen the black plastics and skull/flame graphics I got offered too hahah
Old 03-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Expert Class

Yes, as long as you get 03 and newer forks, it all bolts on. I am running 05 CRF250 forks on my 05.
I am not sure how big an impact this is, but the stock carb has a TPS, which I think ties in the with the ignition mapping. Not sure if you are losing anything in that regard swapping to the PWK. I stuck with the mikuni on mine and it hasn't been too finicky. Seems less picky than it was on my 03 before I sold it.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda