All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Intermediate Class

Default My 96 CR250 Project

As some of you know, last fall I was looking for a project to work on over the winter and I came across this neglected example. On the surface it doesent look to bad, but under the covers it was screaming for help. I temporally threw some new plastics on and rode it a couple times before winter set in and I could really tear into it. Finally some time opened up.

Anyhow, here is how it looked when I brought her home.

Some shots during the teardown

I just got the engine back from Eric Gorr@Forward Motion. Where it was ported and cleaned up. Crank bearings replaced ect. I also put in a Hinson Billet cluth basket.
Talk about a super cool person. I was able to just hang out at Eric's shop here in Madison and discuss just about anything, and get a tour of his shop and other projects. I would highly recommend Forward Motion to anyone. 2 or 4 stroke.

Heres a couple pics of the Engine after Eric Gorrs work being done.

More to come !

PS, I should add that I'm not trying to "restore" it to a certain year or look as it contains elements (and parts) from 93-96 CR's
Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Novice Class

nice, you are going to be so happy with that when its complete! these are great bikes.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Novice Class

nice work there, it looks like it is all coming together.

time is one factor that I never fully appreciate when beginning the good old "i'll just tear it down, give it a clean, service the bearings, and put it back together..."... 6 months on and i still have the suspension off, the cyclinder off etc.

where did you come across the honda racing ign cover? looks a treat.
and any tips on cleaning/polishing the engine, or did Eric Gorr take care of that?

keep up the good work
Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Intermediate Class

Thanks guys.

Yep, always takes longer than expected.

Luke (i assume) The ignition cover was one of the nice things that came on the bike. Eric Gorr named two places that made them back in the day. One shop was in Rockford IL. and the other was out of country. I have no real way of verifying that for sure.

As far as cleaning/polishing the engine, it was soda blasted before disasembling the engine. Also, I think the green scotch bright pads work great as well, because they wont easily "over polish" the engine. They also work great on swingarms and the like.

Jim
Sponsored Ads
Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPH View Post
Thanks guys.

Yep, always takes longer than expected.

Luke (i assume) The ignition cover was one of the nice things that came on the bike. Eric Gorr named two places that made them back in the day. One shop was in Rockford IL. and the other was out of country. I have no real way of verifying that for sure.

As far as cleaning/polishing the engine, it was soda blasted before disasembling the engine. Also, I think the green scotch bright pads work great as well, because they wont easily "over polish" the engine. They also work great on swingarms and the like.

Jim

I happen to have a 1996 as well and I am curious what the magician "Eric Gorr" told you to do for modifications to the motor?

If you would rather the world not know please PM me but I am wanting to look at spicing mine up a little the next time I go through it.

Thanks
Scott
Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodging_roost View Post
I happen to have a 1996 as well and I am curious what the magician "Eric Gorr" told you to do for modifications to the motor?If you would rather the world not know please PM me but I am wanting to look at spicing mine up a little the next time I go through it.

Thanks
Scott
for the average joe they dont need much lol.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by az426 View Post
for the average joe they dont need much lol.
yup... but then again ... I don't consider myself average raced for many years when I was younger and I usually ride a CRF450 bought this one for my 17 yo. son and when I ride it, just feels a little like a dog compared to my 450 that's all.

Oh and did I mention the 450's not stock

Thanks
Scott
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Looking good! What kind of intake do you have? Looks like a
casting with some kind of air splitter/smoother. I noticed the
Bill's pipes silencer, are you going to run his pipe as well? Great
choice, by the way. Which port package did you get EG to do?

What's on tap for the suspension, etc.?

dogger
Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
I happen to have a 1996 as well and I am curious what the magician "Eric Gorr" told you to do for modifications to the motor?

If you would rather the world not know please PM me but I am wanting to look at spicing mine up a little the next time I go through it.

Thanks
Scott
Hey Scott, no worries, Im old and slow nowadays, (well, Ive always been slow, now Im just old too ) so I withhold no secrets.

As far as the porting, I chose to broaden the power everywhere ... more low mid and top, but not focusing on any one area, just making everything a bit stronger. (Eric suggested this was the most popular option and almost all are stoked when done).

We went over alot of options, and I felt this best for what I was looking for. He said he could port it to hit like the Epic 2001 CR250 engine, or pull like a tractor down low, but I felt this was best for me.

I cannot stress how easy going Eric Gorr is in person and on the phone. Give him a call, He can build national level engines if you want them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger315 View Post
Looking good! What kind of intake do you have? Looks like a
casting with some kind of air splitter/smoother. I noticed the
Bill's pipes silencer, are you going to run his pipe as well? Great
choice, by the way. Which port package did you get EG to do?

What's on tap for the suspension, etc.?

dogger
Thanks dogger !
Currently, everthing on the engine (besides the Forward motion work), came on the bike. The intake appears to be a boyesen reed cage. Not sure if its the best choice, but I will give it a try for now.

I picked up a Emig racing, "works" Cone pipe tuned for a 95-96 CR250 engine and will use this with the Bills silencer. I have a PC silencer if need be.

Suspension, I have the 2002 Twin C CR250 forks. I have a RG3 center close to house to send the rear shock (if need be) and forks to if Im not happy.

The frame has been fluxed and checked for any broken welds and the footpeg holes have been welded and redrilled for a tight fit.

More to come !
Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPH View Post
Hey Scott, no worries, Im old and slow nowadays, (well, Ive always been slow, now Im just old too ) so I withhold no secrets.

As far as the porting, I chose to broaden the power everywhere ... more low mid and top, but not focusing on any one area, just making everything a bit stronger. (Eric suggested this was the most popular option and almost all are stoked when done).

We went over alot of options, and I felt this best for what I was looking for. He said he could port it to hit like the Epic 2001 CR250 engine, or pull like a tractor down low, but I felt this was best for me.

I cannot stress how easy going Eric Gorr is in person and on the phone. Give him a call, He can build national level engines if you want them.
Well currently I picked this bike up from a mail man... seriously! $700.00 this past fall it has an FMF fatty and a FMF silencer everything else seems stock, it's quick but not brutal quick.

I want to build just a MONSTER out of it just because I can I want it to eat 450's for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight snack. So I see a cylinder going to Eric Gorr next winter

What about milling the head? I am at about 4200 feet so the air is a bit thin....

Thanks and I look forward to the rest of the build.

Scott
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Well currently I picked this bike up from a mail man... seriously! $700.00 this past fall it has an FMF fatty and a FMF silencer everything else seems stock, it's quick but not brutal quick.

I want to build just a MONSTER out of it just because I can I want it to eat 450's for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight snack. So I see a cylinder going to Eric Gorr next winter

What about milling the head? I am at about 4200 feet so the air is a bit thin....

Thanks and I look forward to the rest of the build.

Scott
There is very little that he cant do to maximize your goals.

If money is no object, I do belive he has a closeout big bore kit there.

I cant even imagine a ported/polished, epoxied, race gased, high compression, big bore CR engine
Now that would be a good time!

Jim
Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 AM
Novice Class

nice going,everything looks pretty good
Old 03-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Intermediate Class

Very nice! I want to send my motor to Eric Gore next winter. His shop used to be here in Illinois about an hour from my house. I met him at the track 5 or 6 years ago What a great guy! Can't wait to see more pics.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Intermediate Class

Thanks guys !

Hey Tuck, where In Illinois roughly are you at ? By Byron by chance ?

Anyhow

A couple more quick updates. Time has not been on my side to make much progress the last few days.

Anyhow, got my frame back from the shop a few days ago. Before it was sprayed though, I had my freind flux all the welds and look for any issues that the naked eye couldent pick up on.

Then we welded the footpeg holes closed so they could be re-drilled to remove any slop that develops over the years.

Also soft mounted are the 2002 CR250 Twin Camber forks. Im using the upper triple clamp form the 02 and the lowers are still from the 96 (saved me buying new bearings as the 02 uses shorter bearings than the 96).

Got the engine put back in tonight and thats where it sits at the moment !!

Spring is here !! But for posterity. My home away from home (yep the garage)

Since this pic was taken bout a week ago its now almost all melted !!!! :

PS, Before you ask, I didnt powder the frame this time around, because Im hoping to have the capacity to do it "In house" by next winter, so I will tear her back down when the time comes !

More to come !
Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Intermediate Class

RCPH I live in Naperville which is about 30 miles west of Chicago. I'm about 2 hrs from Byron.

All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda