All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Beginner Class

Default honda cr250 2001

Hi all ATM members

Please I need your help and knowledge
I have been given a Honda cr250 2001
I am a newbie to this and need your help
I want to strip the bike down to nothing as I know nothing of the history or the service history of bike .... I want to rebuild it completely trying to make the best 01 cr250 that I possibly can, that kicks arse

This is where I need you ....
What exhaust .... fmf / dep / pro circuit .... ?
top / bottom end rebuild .... wesico / namura / pro x .... ?
carburettor ... ive heard the 01 is no good ... ?
needle / jetting / bars / tyres / chain / cogs / bearings / brake pads /

I think you get what im asking lol
Is there anything I should know or upgrade while im doing the rebuild if I upgrade it .... what do I upgrade it to ????

Im in England and I live 547 feet above sea level if this helps im going to be riding track and green fields .... I want to build a kick arse 01 cr250
ive also heard these are very good bikes to keep ... so I want to keep it alive and rocking

Can you please take 5 min of your time to help me build a dream 01

Your knowledge, idea's thoughts and dreams are all welcome

Thank you in advance

3lions

sorry I tried to upload a pic of her now, but I cant seem to do it lol
Old 12-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Novice Class

take it to a bike shop get a list done that's my advice before you strip it to nothing
Old 12-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Expert Class

I've got a nearly identical 2000 CR250... It's a screamer! A lot of those goodies you can add will come down to personal preference. I'm running a Hot Rods bottom end kit, but getting the stock serviced/rebuilt is preferable. In running a Pro-X piston and have no complaints.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Expert Class

Replace carb with a 2000CR250 carb or other PWK airstryker. There is plenty of info about jetting if you do some searches. You will get different opinions from everyone about which piston to run, just like if you ask what 2 stroke oil to run. One thing you can be certain of is that you can't go wrong with OEM parts. Pipe selection depends on the desired type of riding. The FMF and Pro Circuit sites will give info about the applications of their products. Gearing will also depend on desired use. People will even change gearing from one MX track to another so it depends on where you ride. One thing I will say is that I wouldn't run a wiseco crank. Some people have had luck with Hot Rods cranks but OEM cranks are the safest bet. Not worth saving $100 on such a critical part of the bike that can cause major damage (or injury to the rider depending on when it grenades) if it fails.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Beginner Class

Thanks for the advise so far guys ....

I rang my nearest Honda dealer today to get some more info on what to do with the engine as I know nothing of its history or service history ....
He said to do a top end rebuild will cost me 250 / 300 .... and if he done a complete engine rebuild ie split cases etc etc it will cost me 700 / 800 ???
he said he would not do a complete engine strip down with out putting in all new parts as it would not be worth it ..... but I feel that the engine might be ok I just want it all checked out .... can you strip it right down and rebuild with the old parts if there nothing wrong with them ??? ( with new gaskets and seals )
what do you think I should do to the engine ??? the heart of the bike I want to get it right and have peace of mind

what reed valve do you recon ??? vforce 3 / boyesen / ????

thanks in advance

3lions
Old 12-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Expert Class

I know there's a lot of talk about swapping carbs but I had a stock 2001 and had no problems.
Truthfully, a stock 2001 in good order is more bike than most people can handle.
Your money would be best spent on tuning the suspension for yourself.
After that, a pipe will give you a big bang for your euro!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:04 PM
ATM! Pro Class

The '01 CR250 is considered one of the best if not the best CR Honda made. I have an '01 and it has been rock solid for me. It's a very versatile machine and can be set up for any type of riding from off-road trails to mx. The frame is much better than the '97 - '99 but inferior to the '02 - '07. But with the right suspension work it can be made into a good handling bike.

If you are doing a total strip down start with the basics and install all new linkage and swingarm bearings as well as new headstay bearings. (stay away from AllBalls). Check wheel bearings and spokes. Also a good idea to replace cables and check levers and perches.

Engine wise, these things are very stout and chances are the bottom is good but definitely worth checking since you don't have the bikes history. OEM is the best bet for internal engine parts. Many owners have found it necessary to upgrade the carb, I've been able to keep mine running great with the stocker but I probably like to tune more than most.

The '01 porting gives a strong pull throughout the curve, the best combo for me was an FMF Gnarly pipe, powercore silencer, stock gearing and a Steahly 12 oz. flywheel weight.

The best performance upgrade to this (or any bike) is to start with the suspension and get it valved and set up by a good suspension shop (swapping to newer CRF forks is also a good option) Bolting on parts to make it go faster does nothing if the suspension is the limiting factor. Very few riders can use the power of a stock bike to it's full potential so focus on making the motor run good and crisp and maximizing the suspension.

Best of luck and keep us updated with your progress.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:18 AM
Expert Class

Like I said before, the best mods are going to depend on how you intend to use the bike:
Quote:
the best combo for me was an FMF Gnarly pipe, powercore silencer, stock gearing and a Steahly 12 oz. flywheel weight.
Sounds like a solid offroad combo, but if you are planning to ride mx, might want to run a fatty with a slightly lighter flywheel. I am running an 8oz on my 96 motor for mx. As for the PWK vx mikuni, I think the primary advantage of the PWK is that is seems to be less sensitive to climate changes. You will be spending more time fiddling with air screw settings with the mikuni vs the PWK.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Beginner Class

Thanks for the advice so far guys keep it coming in .... all is very welcome

Looks like I will do a OEM top end change for now ( just to be on the safe side ), instead of a full engine strip down and I'll see how it goes the reason for this is I've taken onboard the advice given to me on here and I did know the person who gave me the bike and knew that he did not ride it very often and when he did he looked after it, also the fact it has been in his shed for the past 8/9 years collecting dust lol so it should be in good order .....

Then I ill get the suspension sorted out .... I'm not very engine minded so the change of carb might be a good idea for me at the moment ( ill keep the mik just incase )

So stay away from allballs bearings ok ... got that .. ty

Any ideas on the reed valve do I stick with stock or go with vforce 3 / boyesen ??

3lions
Old 12-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Expert Class

I can only speak to the Vforce reeds.
Had them on several bikes and always worked well.
Nice crisp throttle response.
CR500's and CR250's I've owned.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Beginner Class

COOL
I've read and seen pics of quite a few people putting on vforce 3 .... looks like a popular choice ....

3lions

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

I will post some pics of the bike the way it is now ..... so you can see what im working with ..... and of course some pics of it being done next year and finally when its finished

3lions

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Here she is .... hopefully she will ride and look better in the summer time next year but first I need to gather some info as im a complete newbie to this and I feel like I have to save up a lot of money as well lol .... but she will be worth it

Old 12-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Expert Class

You can't go wrong with that bike.
First it's a great bike even compared with today's bikes.
Plus, parts are plentiful, relatively cheap and all the advise you can tolerate from members on here.
Have fun
Old 12-19-2014, 01:25 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Back to your initial post, "I have been given a Honda cr250 2001"

That's a heck of a steal, bike looks great!!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:40 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I was half expecting a rust bucket .... Not so....probably a few missing parts though...
My advice on a full rebuild is definitely to focus on one area of the bike at a time. I'm more inclined to start with the motor and suspension as these are vital components that require the most money for the 'best' results. While I would be the first to say tackle the suspension yourself, you are probably better off getting a GOOD shop to service and set it up for your weight/ride skill/type of riding etc etc.... Also shock and fork cartridge bleeding is an art.... You want to find a good shop for that!
Motors are easy enough well...............
Old 12-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Beginner Class

Thanks Guys for the Compliments

Your right the bike is good steal ... he said it was a good one when he gave it to me .... the reason he gave it to me is he has emigrated to Australia and he did not want to sell it so I said ill have it .... and here I am ..... but he has gone and I don't know what to do .....lol .... like I said he did not thrash it and he looked after it after every ride, also it was sitting in his shed for 8/9 years collecting dust ...

Yes there are a few things that went missing over the years .... the exhaust was not there, so I had to borrow that dep exhaust off a friend of a friend so I could try and start it up after all these years to see if its worth rebuilding ...

Believe it or not it started on the second kick after I did a bit of work on it ....
First I took off the carb and stripped it down with the help of youtube and rebuilt it, to the owners manual spec ....then I took off the fuel tank and washed it all out to get rid of the old oily fuel that was dried up inside .... I ordered some engine oil, fuel oil, new spark plug, and air filter. off ebay .... When I was waiting for that to turn up I took off all the plastics and fitted the exhaust that I borrowed and cleaned the fuel lines .... I then drained off the oil, fitted the spark plug, the air filter, mixed the oil with the fuel and added the new oil .... then it was all go .... trust me it was a lot of work for me to do this and youtube played a big part in it lol

So Sorry about the bad video ..... But it did start .... Now I know it runs ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuiq...wm_-8g&index=1
Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Beginner Class

Awesome luck! Looks to be a great bike, I love the 00-01 CR.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:47 AM
Intermediate Class

x-2 good lookin bike

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda