All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Intermediate Class

Default CR500AF Conversion Gen 3 Chassis

Hey guys I built a CR500AF this past year and I had a few posts and PM's asking me to share the build... and to be honest when I was building mine I wished I had a couple more pictures to go by... So I figure I share what I did. This is not a bad build at all and can easily be done if you have some fabrication skills and access to a professional welder... I was in luck as I have a friend who is a welder for Knolls Atomic Lab and is a wiz with Aluminum.

First, a picture of the bike that inspired me to do this build. It's a 2008 CRF250R with a 1990 CR500 motor built by one of my old racing buddies.

Now the hunt is on for a CR500 for the motor & Aluminum Chassis - First The donor Bike 1989 CR500 the was rode hard put away wet.

Now unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the roller before I started... but it is a 2002 CR250 Chassis. I wanted something newer but I got a good deal on this one and couldn't pass it up. The suspension had all been redone by Race Tech. In the picture the engine & pipe are fitted and the stock Y cut out. Note: The frame cut and gap just in front of the bottom mount. Also notice just under the pipe in the lower right of the pic are 3/4" aluminum square stock, they slide inside the frame and give the welder something to weld to.

This pic is looking at the Y that had to be raised for pipe clearance. It's all prepped and ready for welding.

This pic is of the welding complete and the welds ground down and polished out.

Coil mount on right frame spar.

Engine fitted to the frame

Coil & Rads mounted

Looking at the chassis from the top with the tank removed. The CDI box is mounted on the left spar where the 250 power valve servo mounted. The coil is on the right everything plugs right in no splicing any wires.

CDI Box looking at it from the left side.

Head stay misalignment - No problem we'll move it.

Engine assembly - Every bearing in the engine and transmission we replaced with OEM Honda. Crank sent to Crank Works for a new rod & balancing. Cylinder sent to California for boring Bill Wallace - Send your cylinder to someone who specializes in CR500's.

I will have to reply to this thread to add the other pic's as I'm limited to 20 Pics
Old 01-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Intermediate Class

More Pic's of build

Here is the finished build

Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 PM
ATM! Pro Class

That is a very cool build!! Great job on the conversion too...
I like how the bike looks stock and that polished frame is just amazing!!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM
ATM! Addict

Thanks, I am going to look at those for a long time. Just saw from a distance how my son helped a friend do one in the hangar they work out of. it was a gen4, now has a snow track on it. made me start thinking again.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Intermediate Class

Hang Time, You did a great job when doing this build. I do have a question. When SH builds these they modify the gas tank. To make sure there is clearance between the sparkplug and tank. Did you do this also. If you did was it difficult to get the clearance? I failed to ask Dogger this question as when he did his CR500af. If I had any complaints about the SH CR500af. The gas tank would be my only camplaint. Goes emty real fast.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
JOATMON

Did you have to mod the pipe at all to clear the frame and line up correctly? Anything you'd do different if you were to do it again?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
novice

sharp bike
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossagp View Post
Thanks, I am going to look at those for a long time. Just saw from a distance how my son helped a friend do one in the hangar they work out of. it was a gen4, now has a snow track on it. made me start thinking again.
You should do one... they aren't that difficult especially if you choose one of the easier chassis such as a Gen 3 CR250. I started doing this on the cheap... ended up doing everything to it. Meaning if the part was questionable in any way I replaced it or rebuilt it. The only bearings in the whole bike that are original are the steering head. It was actually a lot of fun to build. I got a lot of my info over on the CR500 Riders forum... there are guys over there that are just scary smart on the 500's... I see a few of them lurking over hear as well. There is also a lot of You Tube stuff... search "Groutone" he's got a 11 part video on the Gen 3 build.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane one 316 View Post
Hang Time, You did a great job when doing this build. I do have a question. When SH builds these they modify the gas tank. To make sure there is clearance between the sparkplug and tank. Did you do this also. If you did was it difficult to get the clearance? I failed to ask Dogger this question as when he did his CR500af. If I had any complaints about the SH CR500af. The gas tank would be my only camplaint. Goes emty real fast.
Thanks Insane... If you choose a Gen 3 CR250 chassis no tank mods are required. Mine has the stock CR250 tank. Plenty of room for the spark plug. Now if you look at the first Pic... that is my buddies Gen 4 CRF250R Chassis conversion... now he did have to mod the tank and use a shorty spark NGK plug.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Intermediate Class

That's funny I have watched all of Groutone's video's. One of the ones I like best is the one that he call's CR500 Earth Shaker. Have you seen that one? He has his bike on the stand. Running at idle speed. He has styroform cups on the ground withj water in them. Placed I believe every 5 feet out to 20 feet away from the bike. You can see the ripples from the vibration in the water. All the way out to 15feet. He placed them perpendiculare of the bike. I thought it was funny and amazing.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Intermediate Class

looky here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
Did you have to mod the pipe at all to clear the frame and line up correctly? Anything you'd do different if you were to do it again?
Cowboy... That is a factory CR500 pipe from Pro Circuit... no mods to the pipe. It gets very tight at the back of the pipe as passes between frame & the shock. It required me to fab a custom bracket to support back of the pipe but I used all the stock mounts on the pipe... which was my goal. (I understand SH makes a special PC pipe that moves this bracket and makes it a little easier to work with) The only other change was relocating the front pipe bracket (On the frame not the pipe) I just cut it off and moved it up a 1/4" or so... then used the stock CR250 front mount between the frame and pipe. As for doing anything different... Honestly... on a Gen 3 probably not... only because I did everything to this and am very pleased. I even purchased a new 39.5 PWK Carb... so it even idles nice!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 PM
JOATMON

Good to know, I know on some of the CRF based builds guys have had to make minor tweaks to the stinger portion of the pipe. I just can't decide which I like best, the Gen3 or the Gen5 conversions.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane one 316 View Post
That's funny I have watched all of Groutone's video's. One of the ones I like best is the one that he call's CR500 Earth Shaker. Have you seen that one? He has his bike on the stand. Running at idle speed. He has styroform cups on the ground withj water in them. Placed I believe every 5 feet out to 20 feet away from the bike. You can see the ripples from the vibration in the water. All the way out to 15feet. He placed them perpendiculare of the bike. I thought it was funny and amazing.
Yeah... I've watched them all... watched every CR500 Vid on the tube multiple times... some are stupid but other are great. Hey I see you are from NY where are you at?

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Good to know, I know on some of the CRF based builds guys have had to make minor tweaks to the stinger portion of the pipe. I just can't decide which I like best, the Gen3 or the Gen5 conversions.
If I had the money I'd love a Gen 6... they look really sharp and lots of room for the 500. The SH Gen 6... is spectacular!.. with a price to match! To me the Gen 3 is a really solid economical platform to work with and you have a really nice modern bike when your done.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 PM
JOATMON

I don't know why, but for some reason I find the Gen5's very visually appealing. The Service Honda Gen6 IS a thing of beauty, no doubt about that! I've never seen one in person but from all the photos floating around out there in interwebz land it looks like they do a good job of creating a very clean, factory look with their conversions. But then you've got guys like dogger315 that do amazing work as well...
Some day I hope to have an AF conversion. For now I'll just have to settle on being happy to own a 500.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Intermediate Class

Hang Time I sent you a message earlier today. Did you see it? I live in central NY. A little town called Red Creek. It has a post office and a school and librairy. That's about it. haha. Give me a shout so we can rip up the local tracks. And you can help me get faster. I need the extra motivation these days.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

This I would have to agree with as well. The Gen 6's styleling seems to have a smoother flow. Plus it looks smaller and slimmer.
Quote:
I don't know why, but for some reason I find the Gen5's very visually appealing. The Service Honda Gen6 IS a thing of beauty, no doubt about that! I've never seen one in person but from all the photos floating around out there in interwebz land it looks like they do a good job of creating a very clean, factory look with their conversions. But then you've got guys like dogger315 that do amazing work as well...
Some day I hope to have an AF conversion. For now I'll just have to settle on being happy to own a 500.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

I still can not make up my mind as to weather or not I like the Airbox access door. I find myself looking at the right side of the bike more than the left. haha
Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Yeah... 500's are getting rare... When I ride I'm surprised by the attention it gets. It actually intimidates some... a lot of these young guys haven't seen a 500. Some of my friends that ride (good riders) either won't ride it or those that do get off it and say things like "whoa... that's a mans bike" "That has stupid power" "How do you ride that... it don't quit" "That's a 450 with a very bad temper" "Dude... Your insane". LOL! Yeah a Gen 5 is nice too... you should build one.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:52 PM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Time View Post
Yeah... 500's are getting rare... When I ride I'm surprised by the attention it gets. It actually intimidates some... a lot of these young guys haven't seen a 500. Some of my friends that ride (good riders) either won't ride it or those that do get off it and say things like "whoa... that's a mans bike" "That has stupid power" "How do you ride that... it don't quit" "That's a 450 with a very bad temper" "Dude... Your insane". LOL! Yeah a Gen 5 is nice too... you should build one.
Some day, some way, some how I will have an AF conversion... but it will be a while unless something miraculous happens. I've been watching pretty regular and I see 500's for sale quite a bit, but guys are asking 2-3k for worn out bikes with the "but it's a CR500!" disclaimer. I saw a post on TT yesterday, guy was wondering if 5K was too much to pay for a "mint, low hour 01" that wasn't all that mint!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Intermediate Class

Talking

Quote:
Some day, some way, some how I will have an AF conversion... but it will be a while unless something miraculous happens. I've been watching pretty regular and I see 500's for sale quite a bit, but guys are asking 2-3k for worn out bikes with the "but it's a CR500!" disclaimer. I saw a post on TT yesterday, guy was wondering if 5K was too much to pay for a "mint, low hour 01" that wasn't all that mint!
Yeah... I know what you mean on the price of the 500's... I got lucky found one and the guy was only 45 min away. He wanted $800... got it for $700... that is the second picture. It started and ran and I only really wanted the motor. Picked up the Gen 3 roller for $750 that had new tires, new seat, nice pro taper bars (I used them on my CR125) and the suspension was all redone Race Tech stuff. Then the insanity began...
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Time View Post
Yeah... I know what you mean on the price of the 500's... I got lucky found one and the guy was only 45 min away. He wanted $800... got it for $700... that is the second picture. It started and ran and I only really wanted the motor. Picked up the Gen 3 roller for $750 that had new tires, new seat, nice pro taper bars (I used them on my CR125) and the suspension was all redone Race Tech stuff. Then the insanity began...
Those are some great prices... I paid $1k for my 91 CR500 and I've spent nearly twice that in upgrade parts for it.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Intermediate Class

[quote=insane one 316;705527]Hang Time I sent you a message earlier today. Did you see it? I live in central NY. A little town called Red Creek. It has a post office and a school and librairy. That's about it. haha. Give me a shout so we can rip up the local tracks. And you can help me get faster. I need the extra motivation these days.[COLOR="Red"]

Hey Insane... Your PM just came thru a little while ago... I'll PM you back. Yeah I know where Red Creek is... been there... I used to live in B'ville.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Those are some great prices... I paid $1k for my 91 CR500 and I've spent nearly twice that in upgrade parts for it.
Yeah... now you know why I couldn't pass up the Gen 3. Hang in there and keep looking... the catch with the good deals when you see them you gotta jump quick... but they are out there. Are you familiar with Bikefinds.com ? A great website for finding used bikes.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Intermediate Class

Hey do you know John Provo a.k.a. JP.? He said he new of a guy in B-ville who had a CR500af. He really wants to ride my CR500af. He never got a chance to last summer.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda