All Things Moto! Web Forums

All Things Moto! Web Forums (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/)
-   2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-31/)
-   -   Which CR should I get? 250 vs 500. (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-31/cr-should-i-get-250-vs-500-a-62714/)

ossagp 01-22-2014 08:13 PM

Will he notice it missing?

CRSparky 01-23-2014 12:33 PM

Hmmm, he might not notice it's missing. I'd rather just ask him for it, he would probably just give it to me. He hasn't done anything to it for months.

ossagp 01-23-2014 01:09 PM

well since you are looking for work you might ask him how you could work off the cost of the bike?

Faded 01-23-2014 01:35 PM

I started building a CR250 out of leftover parts I had lying around. It started with a motor out of a ’96 and an ’04 frame. What began as an experiment to build a bike out of spares has turned into a full tilt project bike. The suspension was lifted off an ’06 CRF450 (first year of the ‘short’ legs), the triples are off an ’08 so I can use a HPSD, the front master cylinder is the newer link-style and the carb is a PWK off a later model KX250. Most of this stuff was picked up on the cheap in the last 8 months and I think I have enough to actually start putting the bike together.

The point is it’ll be a nice bike, but it wasn’t built overnight and if it was the only bike I was building it wouldn’t have been budget friendly. Restoring what you have is ultimately going to be cheaper in the long run.

Hang Time 01-23-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRSparky (Post 706293)
Hmmm, he would probably just give it to me.

Hmmm... I'd jump on that then... mow his grass... wash his car... I'll tell ya a little :secret he who snoozes loses!

CRSparky 01-23-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossagp (Post 706297)
well since you are looking for work you might ask him how you could work off the cost of the bike?

I'm looking for work to save up for a CR500. $3000 is the price of that 2000, and I don't even know if it'll be on there when I finally do save up the money. And hopefully I can talk him down.

BTW, is $3000 a good price for a 2000 CR500? I can post the CL ad, and see if anybody can view it.

cowboyona426 01-24-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRSparky (Post 706319)
I'm looking for work to save up for a CR500. $3000 is the price of that 2000, and I don't even know if it'll be on there when I finally do save up the money. And hopefully I can talk him down.

BTW, is $3000 a good price for a 2000 CR500? I can post the CL ad, and see if anybody can view it.

$3000 is steep unless it's absolutely pristine.

ossagp 01-24-2014 11:45 AM

seems really high since the ultimate plan is to get a donor motor

Hang Time 01-24-2014 04:55 PM

Yeah... I have to agree it would have to be really clean ride for 3K... but if your really into an AF you might better find one that is beat up at a really good price. Then you can freshen the motor with the extra cash. Then if your not into doing the conversion yourself I've seen converted chassis being sold less motor. Some guys upgrade their rides to newer chassis and sell their old one. Check out [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]

CRSparky 01-24-2014 08:57 PM

I don't even think I'm gonna get a CR500 anymore. Not a single person has said ANYTHING positive about me buying it. My parents think that as soon as I start riding it, I'm gonna kill myself. My dad thinks I won't like it, and not a single friend or family has said a positive sentence about me and this dirtbike. It's always a, "Have a fun hospital visit!" or "You're just gonna kill yourself on that thing." My mom even told me she doesn't even want to hear me say 500 around her. It's absolutely ridiculous, and I don't know if I can put up with all this useless talk about me and this dirtbike. I wouldn't care if it was a random person, but this is family and friends. It really demotivates you.

Hang Time 01-24-2014 10:29 PM

Not sure what to tell ya sparky... I hear the same thing from my buddies... LOL:lmao. But all kidding aside a 500 isn't for everybody... and they can spit you off quickly! :mod How much riding experience do you have:whoops? Having a 250 isn't a bad thing.

cowboyona426 01-25-2014 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRSparky (Post 706373)
I don't even think I'm gonna get a CR500 anymore. Not a single person has said ANYTHING positive about me buying it. My parents think that as soon as I start riding it, I'm gonna kill myself. My dad thinks I won't like it, and not a single friend or family has said a positive sentence about me and this dirtbike. It's always a, "Have a fun hospital visit!" or "You're just gonna kill yourself on that thing." My mom even told me she doesn't even want to hear me say 500 around her. It's absolutely ridiculous, and I don't know if I can put up with all this useless talk about me and this dirtbike. I wouldn't care if it was a random person, but this is family and friends. It really demotivates you.

Sounds like you need to wait until there's a bit more fuzz on your peaches to take on the 500.

ossagp 01-25-2014 07:55 AM

that cr 250 would make a wonderful rig, then later you can watch for the donor motor you want. it the year 2020 an aluminum framed cr 500 will still be a great rig.

CRSparky 01-25-2014 08:39 AM

I've been riding since I was 7. But lately I only have ridden maybe 5 times last year
I want the CR500, I guess just to say I have it
I want to prove I can ride it. I might just secretly get it. I have a friend who'd be willing to take me to see some when I get the money, and his truck can fit the dirtbike in the back. I'd have to ride it for a couple of minutes to see if it really is too powerful, but I got this idea in my head that if 250s are the same price as 500s, why get the 250?

cowboyona426 01-25-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRSparky (Post 706384)
I've been riding since I was 7. But lately I only have ridden maybe 5 times last year
I want the CR500, I guess just to say I have it
I want to prove I can ride it. I might just secretly get it. I have a friend who'd be willing to take me to see some when I get the money, and his truck can fit the dirtbike in the back. I'd have to ride it for a couple of minutes to see if it really is too powerful, but I got this idea in my head that if 250s are the same price as 500s, why get the 250?

Great idea... try to hide it from your parents so that when you do get hurt on it, you'll be in real deep crap.
You're not ready for a 500 so get over the thought of it. Get a 250 and learn to ride it and ride it well, you'll have more fun and be a better rider in the end.