All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Beginner Class

Default 96 cr125 rebuild

Hey guys, new to the forums...after lurking for some time I realized this would be the best site to join when it comes to dirt bikes So I decided to make an account.

Anyway I picked up a 1996 cr125 a couple months back as a project bike, I have owned several dirt bikes however I had never rebuilt one. So I figured id grab this one and try it out!

I plan to make this an on going thread as I work on the bike, I figure this would be the best way to ask questions as I go

Heres a pic of the bike before the tear down:

[IMG]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/whythe****iseverythingtaken/DSC02549.jpg[/IMG]

I wish I had taken one as soon as I got the bike...this thing was in really rough shape, but I was to eager to start cleaning and throw on the new set of tires that came with it...then snap a picture, so that is the "before" picture.

Despite the bad looks, this bike ran quite well during the test drive. Although I could tell the compression was low the kick startor had a decent amount of resistance so after inspecting the whole bike I grabed it for $500

I had some problems with flooding and Im fairly certain it was the incorrect float hight. I have reset it but have yet to test it as the bike is still apart.

A couple pics of the tear down...

[IMG]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/whythe****iseverythingtaken/DSC02564.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/whythe****iseverythingtaken/DSC02587.jpg[/IMG]

After getting to this point I removed and cleaned the carb, inspected fuel inlet needle and seat, then checked and reset the float level.
Then checked out the reeds, I was happy to see a set of boyseen carbon fiber reeds in great condition...no pics of these yet.

I then took of the procircuit pipe....this will need some work; a couple of big dents and very rusted. I picked up some naval jelly for the rust, and was thinking of trying the dry ice method for dents...Alternative suggestions would be great to hear.

So I removed the cylinder to check out what was causing a loss in compression, hmmm:

[IMG]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/whythe****iseverythingtaken/DSC02835.jpg[/IMG]

Makes sense to me, a pretty large score on the exhaust side of the piston along with multiple scratches on the walls, wear marks on the skirt, as well as a easily visible worn ring...that would do it. I bought a new vortex piston as a replacement.

I was hoping the cylinder would be fine however it turns out the nickasil is wearing off the walls. I will be sending it out for replating, its almost completly stripped down....This leads to my first question; In the power valves on each side there seem to be "seals" or "washers" they are made to guide the pivot shaft while it rotates. I am unable to remove these and have not been able to find them on any exploded diagrams of both the power valves or the cylinder. I am sure they are a different part simply because they are made of steel.
So any tips on removing those would be great, or a heads up if I dont even need to remove them before replating.

Heres a pic:

[IMG]http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k596/whythe****iseverythingtaken/DSC02832.jpg[/IMG]

The metal ring right above the "M" is what I am refering to.

I will continue to write and add pictures to this thread as I go along, any tips or advice would be great...this is my first rebuild so im trying to learn as much as I can right now.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

hmmm I guess some advice on uploading pictures would be helpful too...
Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Beginner Class

You may have to load them to another site with a username that doesn't include a "bad" word, as ALM censors the F word so it doesn't show the correct photo path to display the photo.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Beginner Class

yep, i cut and pasted the pic links with F*** and they showed up fine =)

you may want to change that directory name.

i also have a 96 cr125 that i rebuilt. i took it down to the frame and rebuilt it. the engine wasn't taken completely apart just the cylinder and up.

the powervalve part that you are referring to looks like it stays put. i took apart the powervalve completely and don't remember that piece coming out.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Beginner Class

Okay thanks for the heads up, I'll get that username fixed.

Its cool to hear about other rebuilds of the same bike, what was your reason to rebuild it? Im also hoping to leave the bottom end the way it is...

Alright thanks for the input on the powervalve, I was thinking it was meant to stay there...im just not sure if the part would be hindered after replating the cylinder.

Thanks guys,
Kevin
Old 05-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Beginner Class

the bike was running poorly, really bad low end power. the high rpms were great, lots of power in the powerband. there were a lot of things i wanted to improve on my bike so i decided to take things apart and learn stuff about my bike and it ended up being a rebuild.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda