All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Beginner Class

Default 96 cr125 project

Hey guys this is my first post on the forums, been lurking for a while and awaiting activation for what seemed to be even longer hehe.

So I recently picked up a 96 cr125 that needed some work, this is my first real project as far as rebuilding goes so I figured I could use some advice along the way.
The bike ran when I bought it and I was able to test it out; seemed to start fairly well, clutch felt solid, I could tell compression was kind of low pretty quickly although the kickstarter had some good pressure so I figured it wasn't too bad. After shifting through all the gears and testing brakes multiple times I rode back to look over the bike. Although she was in rough shape on the outside, mechanicaly it seemed to be working well for the most part.
So I grabed it for 500 and was on my way.

The first time I tried to start it my self....it wouldn't, I tried everything but she was completly flooded. I ended up shutting off fuel valve, pulling the plug (wet), drained the carb, and took the fuel line off the carb.
After letting the bike sit and air out like this for 2 days I put it back together, started it up with a couple kicks and took her for a ride....only problem was this happens every single time I want to ride.

So far I have narrowed the problem down to the floats/ fuel inlet needle/ needle seat...for now I inspected those parts after cleaning the carb, and have resest the float height. I have yet to test the bike again as I have gone further into the rebuild....do you guys think I have covered what could be causing the flooding?

Next question: I tore down the top end, found a score or "squeak" on the exhaust side of the piston...already purchased a Vortex piston.
The cylinder looked fairly smooth and consistent however it had lost its "shine" so I took it to my local shop, the owner recomened I get it replated. So I am now in the process of stripping the cylinder down before sending it out. I have gotten everything off exept for the power vavles...
I do not have a service manual yet, and these things seem fairly complex. I am looking for some tips on how to remove them without breaking them of course. I have found an exploded diagram and that did help to see what I was working with but something like a video tutorial would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, sorry for such a long read...

Kevin
Old 05-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Beginner Class

Well... the power valves are actually pretty simple to take apart but, all you need to do is really remember how you took it apart my 14 year old son did it to his 1997 cr 125 by himself in a few minutes, the only thing you need the book for is to know how to adjust it.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:02 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Since you are talking about a 15 year old bike, I think a carb rebuild
is in order. You can get a rebuild kit from this site:
CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT: HONDA CR125R (1996)
It should cure your flooding problem. It's also a good idea to turn the
fuel petcock off just prior to shutting down your engine. This helps
keep the bike from flooding in case some debris gets into the float.

Next up is either a Honda or Clymers service manual - you're going to
need one to keep the bike in good shape.

As far as the cylinder, it's not suppose to be shiny. The cylinder is lined
with Nikasil and should have a dull Silver look. You may need nothing
more than a hone to clean it up and re-crosshatch - hard to tell without
seeing it though. I don't recommend removing the power valve without
a manual, too many gotchas.

dogger
Old 05-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Beginner Class

When you remove them be extra careful with the valves because they are 300 bucks to replace so don't drop them. If you buy new valves it will run like new.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda