All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2017, 11:46 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default 2002 XR200R Bogs Down On Throttle

I am in need of some help. I bought a 2002 XR200R that had been setting in a garage for about 5 years without being hardly ever ridden. At first it would not idle for more than 5 seconds before dying. I've taken the carburetor off and cleaned it, it was very dirty inside! The pilot jet was clogged and I couldn't get it unclogged, so I bought a brand new one at the local shop and got it put in. The main jet was also clogged, but I was able to clear it out by soaking it in some gasoline. The float needle was also a little stuck at first, but I gently removed it and soaked it and the float in gasoline, too. I also cleaned the inside of where the needle goes as best as I could. Other things I've also done are clean out the air box and replace the air filter, change the spark plug and change the oil.

Now, the bike will crank no problems. I don't even have to use the choke to get it started. The issue is when I'm riding it and twist the throttle. Starting off, no issues. But getting into the higher RPMs in any gear, it starts to bog down. BUT, I can let off of the throttle and twist it at full throttle again and it seems to pull through and be fine.

I don't know where to start. Could the main jet still be partially clogged? I'm not too familiar with this carburetor. Does it have different adjustment screws for the air/fuel mixture? Or just an adjustment screw for the idle? (Which, starting and idling isn't a problem.) The intake boot is on pretty good as best I can tell. The one thing I haven't checked is to see if there is any blockage inside the boot between the air box and the carburetor.

Other than checking the main jet again, to clear the carburetor as the cause for problem, am I better off just replacing the whole carburetor? Because I know that thing has more holes in it that fuel flows through. Those could be clogged, too, maybe?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:36 AM
ATM! Pro Class

If your jets were clogged, then so will be the very small passages in the carb. A good rebuild is in order including the float valve.
Speaking of which, the float will need to be reset.
The fact that the bike starts with out the choke indicates you are rich.
The bogging with throttle tells me lean.

Paw Paw
Old 04-14-2017, 09:51 PM
Welcome To ATM

I found the problem. I hadn't used brake cleaner and an air compressor on the disassembled carburetor up until after this post. There was some trash stuck inside the fuel inlet "tunnel" that's inside the carburetor housing. A little bit of brake fluid and a puff of the air compressor blew it right out! Now there's no bogging/hesitation whatsoever! Thanks for the help!!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda