All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Pro Class

I meant to say "Gnarly" instead of "Fatty" in the previous post.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:00 PM
ATM! Addict

Lion, I think you are talking to people who have no idea at all about what that particular clutch is and "semi automatic"LOLOLOLOL. your ability to feather the clutch isn't changed on the model i have, you can use the clutch as before or let it do the work and you still shift. i have been riding a pretty long time and my own feathering of the clutch very seldom beats the action of the Rekluse. VERY seldom. But if you already have your mind made up, then you already have your mind made up!

I just haven't found a single thing in the 10 years plus we have had a cr250 in the garage that works as well for what I described. I do get amazed by the responses to it from those who haven't used one
Old 06-02-2012, 08:42 AM
will fall over

Yeah but you prolly suck at using the clutch tho
and artherits in your finger or you are gay
Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Novice Class

Exclamation

Ok wfo250 I don't think anyone is gay for using a reckluse ? I think is a great thing and in sure I would want one if I ever got the opportunity to try one BUT they are a lot of money and it's not something I see myself getting in the future.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
will fall over

Oh sorry, I was just trying to have a bit of fun aimed at ossa.. Guess I
kinda shot a stray bullet there! No offense lion!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Novice Class

Wfo don't worry I was just trying to keep peace lol.

Last edited by Lionrider250; 06-02-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 AM
will fall over

I like to cause trouble!!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Novice Class

No worries I think we all do from time to time
Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 AM
will fall over

Hope you have gobs of fun on the bike dude! I'm not sure about a
mod you can do to keep from falling over, but if you find one,
let me know!!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Banned

Going down definitely hurts but it is a good thing and lets you know you're pushing it like you should! Also keeps stewart in check believe he broke his wrist today in Colorado. If Dungey is the leading guy, you know it's going to be a snoozfest the rest of outdoors :/
Old 07-26-2016, 05:06 AM
Welcome To ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCR25098 View Post
That's a hell of a first bike! I would know my first bike was a 1998 cr250r that I used for trails and it is still my primary bike riding MX to this day. I actually sold it and then randomly bought it back, but that's a long story

I have the OEM HONDA 97-99 CR250r Service Manual I can email you to download for FREE. These are the original honda manuals that contains essentially everything you'd ever need to know about servicing that bike of yours. They run about $50 average for the actual book, so if you do not have a service manual, this is a MUST...

As for actually riding it in the woods, one of the best things you can do is change the gearing so that the new sprocket will place the meat of the power lower in the RPM range and make the slower trail riding infinitely easier. Guys also use flywheel weights, rekluse auto clutches, and all kinds of other gay non-sense (jk) but mainly:

#1 Learn the power of the bike and decide if you want it more on the lower end or the top end, but more IMPORTANTly, always RESPECT the power. These bikes will take off and kill you if the front wheel happens to be pointed at the wrong thing. Make sure your cables are always serviced, the manual tells you how to do.

#2 Learn how to properly use the clutch. 2 strokes often involve a TON of clutch work, especially the smaller the cc's but a 2 stroke will still need plenty of feathering and slipping when you are in slightly too high of a gear. This happens a ton in trails when crossing roots, small up hills, big up hills, ditches, basically every scenario out there.

#3 Jetting - Make damn sure you're jets are right and not too lean or rich. Always set your premix ratio @ 32:1. My 98 LOVES Klotz super techni-plate and it is by far the best smelling as well.

#4 Ride the tits off it and be sure to keep EVERYTHING maintained and at least in good condition or else it could kill ya or at least have you spending a ton of $$$ rebuilding whatever exploded or wore plum out!!!

The GEN1 (97-99) CR250's have amazing power, and at just the right spot, for trails and MX...Very strong powerband but most importantly, these motors were some of the most reliable of all the generations of CR motors out there.

Here is a little write-up Eric Gorr did for ALL years of CR250's. Simply scroll until you find your year. He lists certain problems that were unique to your year, which I believe a 99 had something that often failed ICU or CDI but I could be wrong. This is a great read for you, and may help you out a ton one day down the line. I know it did for me on my rebuild.

If you have any other questions regarding your bike, just ask, and if you don't have a service manual send me a private or visitor message with your e-mail address ASAP and I'll send you the download FREE

Griffin

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Btw, I noticed your last post you say you're falling over in the "rocky stuff"...

ANY offroad/trail rider has to have one of these, and even myself on a MX track need one. I'll be ordering mine here before too long. (Skid Plate $80)

Another HUGE upgrade I just added was a Magura Hydraulic Clutch:

This doesn't take away the clutch usage at all like those sissy rekluse things! (jk) It basically is just a hydraulic system that makes pulling the clutch like butter. No more cable cleaning and lubing, automatically adjusts, never fades later in the day or late in a race. The stock clutch was a PITA to pull with 2 fingers. I found that I could do it with 2 fingers, but as the day and laps wore on I found myself using all 4 fingers and only having the side of my thumb to grip the bar...Not cool.

Now it's a 1 finger pull all day long, and I have all 4 fingers to grip the bar on that side. It's great for slipping it in corners or at the base of jumps or all over really, since we ride 2 strokes. My clutch usage goes up even more when I ride trails and single track as well. It's a little over $200, but I won't not have this installed on any bike I own anymore.

Sprockets - be sure to check what you have and switch to something that either makes each gear shorter by going up a few teeth (more low end power) or makes each gear longer, going down few teeth (more top end power)

Your lucky your bike actually has the best carburetor for ANY 2 stroke ever made already installed. It came stock on the 99 and 2000 cr250's. My carb was junk and causing an air leak making the motor surge. I bought a brand new PWK from a 00 cr250 and the difference was infinitely better in all areas. No more spooge, no smoke when warm, crisp clean revs, and throttle response. So that's $150 at least saved, since you already have it. Just thought you should know!

Cleaning your air filter every ride is directly most important thing you can do to ensure good motor life. Be sure to clean it with gas or mineral spirits or a good brand filter cleaner before washing it with dish soap and water, let it dry completely, and re-oil it. I use PJ1. I went through several brands and finally found this one. Both their cleaner and oil are awesome.

Gear oil..Super important..alot of guys just use Automatic Transmission Fluid, as did I when I first owned the bike. Now I run 10w40 valvoline the motorcycle brand and the one that is designed for wet clutches. It has been great. Most important is to change it often. I do mine every other ride. It's about $5 a change and it will say how much your gear box holds on the case of the motor under your fmf pipe. Mine is 850cc, yours should be exact same.

Just had to throw those other bits of info in since I have and know these GEN1 cr250's so well.
I just wanted to thank you for all of the information here dude. A big shout-out from Cape Town, South Africa!

I registered here, after finding your segment in response to this post, just to say thanks!! If all goes well, I will be taking collection of a 99 CR250 next week which I am going to use on the trails, as well as mess about on the local X track.

*amped*
Old 07-28-2016, 04:56 PM
will fall over

Well, if you only registered to say thanks to blkcr98 you wasted your time! He's long gone and not missed. You however are welcome to from Texas USA
Good luck with the bike.

Ossa on the other hand is missed
Old 07-29-2016, 01:38 AM
Welcome To ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wFo250 View Post
Well, if you only registered to say thanks to blkcr98 you wasted your time! He's long gone and not missed. You however are welcome to from Texas USA
Good luck with the bike.

Ossa on the other hand is missed
Hey man!

Thanks for the welcome!

2 things:
1 I am now the owner of a CR250
2 I tried to send that other bloke a PM and see why you say he's not missed. Looks like he stole a lot of money from people

I'm going to have a look-see through the Honda section now - time to learn!!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Honda