All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Novice Class

Default yz250 gear oil

Tranny lube question
my 04 y250 manual recommends 10-30 oil, but most of the 2stroke gear oil is 80 wt. Whats the difference?
Also, I changed the oil, I warmed it up and when i refilled, it started coming out of the check hole at about 500ml. It says that it takes 750ml. Should I just ignore the check hole and add 750ml, or is there 250ml of old oil left behind?
Thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 04:05 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: yz250 gear oil

10w30 is about 80 wt. 15w50 is about 85 wt.

It sounds like you didn't get it drained all the way because it should of taken 750 ml's. Are you sure your using the correct check level plug???

If you end up using regular car engine oil, make sure it doesn't say Energy Saving or Engery Conservative in the API rating circle. Energy Saving means its has friction reducing modifers in the oil which will cause your clutch plates to slip and burn out. A good oil is Mobil-1 15w50 red cap or Valoline or Castrol. But just make sure you look at the API circle.

I use Bel Ray Gear Saver 80.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Novice Class

I didnt realize WT was different from viscocity rating. I am sure that i drained it completely and was using the correct check hole!?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:58 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Avan,

Now when talking about gear oil, 85w-90 and 85w-140 is ALOT thicker than 15w40 engine oil. So remember the difference between talking about engine oil and gear oil.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:10 PM
ATM! Addict

The way the two types of oil (engine and transmission oils)are measures is really different. You get lots of opinions and arguments on transmission oils,,,most come with little other than advertising "memories" to sway them. I don't see a whole lot to be gained by running anything that your manufacturer did not suggest. The mere fact that most tell you to use motor oil would suggest that there are no real pressing needs that your transmission has that would benefit from the additives found in gear oils. With something like they suggest you can afford to change often.

On EC oils: I have yet to have trouble with one. As of 2003 Hinson clutches was still suggestiong 5-30 in two strokes and 10-40 (valvoline in both cases) in two strokes and 4strokes respectively. If you want to avoid the EC ratings it is getting harder to do. I have not looked on the latest 10-30 Delo diesel oils to see if they are non EC rated. I still run the EC rated ones in some old 4 strokes I have, and so far no clutch problems.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Intermediate Class

i have a 2003 YZ250 and the cap. is NOT 750ml it IS 750cm3( is that the same? i suck at liquid conv.) or between .75L-.80L or 0.79-0.85 US qt. or a little bit less than a quart of oil (33.8 flo. oz. or 1.056 U.S. qt. 1liter) pull your drain plug, lean the bike from side to side and move it forward and backward put the drain plug back in pour your qt. of oil or tranny fluid in the fill hole and leave a "little" bit of fluid in the bottle ,start it up and let it warm up, then kill it and pull your check plug and it should only drip a little bit, OR you could just pour the whole qt. in, and the pull the check bolt out, and adjust it that way, i change my tranny oil about every 2 or 3 rides, but it also depends on the cond.'s
I use all of Maxima's stuff, i really like it, so i use the Maxima MTL 80W (10W-30), i have also used Spectro,i have heard all of the stories on the do's and don't's of using oil versus tranny fluid, and i have used both, but i settled on motorcyle 2-stroke specific tranny fluid because its "better to be safe than sorry"-lol, i will use a thicker tranny oil when i really put a strain on my YZ, like when i go to the dunes etc.

Last edited by YZ-in-the-sand; 03-06-2004 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:48 PM
ATM! Addict

cm3 translates to cubic centimeter, which happens to be the same as a mililiter or ml.

I am still waiting to find an OE manual that calls for anything other than motoroil,,,kind of makes me wonder why we try to find something else.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:12 AM
Intermediate Class

i have always heard that motor oil can not with stand the gnashing of the tran. gears ,and that a "plain" oil will froth and bubble, without the additives that alot of comp.'s put in their tranny oils, not sure if its true or not, but i would prefer to run a specfic tranny fluid with the anti-frothing additives, than to take my chances......

Last edited by YZ-in-the-sand; 03-11-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:37 AM
ATM! Addict

Motoroils nowadays are probably at least as well equiped not to froth or cavitate as anything you will find. See how well marketing can work??
Old 03-12-2004, 03:10 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally posted by ossagp
Motoroils nowadays are probably at least as well equiped not to froth or cavitate as anything you will find. See how well marketing can work??
i suppose so, but i don't wanna bet my tranny on "probably" when i don't mind spending the extra couple of $'s on a bottle of tranny oil, although.... i would really like to see a study on the differences (if any) between oil and tranny fluid, because i change my tranny enough, that if plain oil would work just as well, i could just buy a case of oil, does anyone know if there is any study on this subject?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:30 AM
ATM! Addict

Oh sure there have been,,just read the brochures. You know the stuff the marketing depts print for people who will spend more money because someone told them about "nashing" etc, oh and the foaming part,,,everyone knows that the only thing that wont foam is that transmission specific oil,,the guys that tell you about "nashing" nearly invented it I think.

Don't want to bet your transmission on "probably"??? How do you know you aren't already doing that?

Seriously. Don't you think the manufacturer did just a little bit of studying about that before they printed the manual,,,I mean just a weeee little bit??? And if there was anything to gain at all (and I am not sure what that would be) don't you think they would have at least presented it as an alternative? Don't you? Or do you buy into the bull---- about how they can't wait for your bike to wear out? That they all are in that agreement together to make sure your transmission wears out before it's time?? I keep hearing things like that, and it convinces me that people do not understand what lengths a brand will go to to build loyalty. Since some of you have Sporbikes, you may want to read Kevin Cameron's book on them. He is very astute, and he addresses the subject better than anyone I have seen in plain english.

Sorry to be so sarcastic, I just keep being amazed by people who do things and don't know why. If you stop to think about it, so many decisions are made just like that. I know that I have made them too and still kick myself sometimes. If you like the way it shifts on what the factory recommends, then use that. If you like the way it shifts on something else and you want to pay for it, then buy that. Just dont expect any more measureable life out of something that wasnt even specified. Buy what shifts the best for you, and some like a different feel than others.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:57 AM
Intermediate Class

i can see i'm not the only night owl, thanks for the info but as i mentioned in my 1st post, i'm not sure if its true,but my manual does suggest that i use oil ,YAMALUBE oil,go figure......why would they want me to buy Yamalube???? (sarcasim) but i'm being serious, i would like to see an actual unbiased study on the differences IF ANY between the 2, thats all i'm saying, no more, no less, and i know all about the "rumors" around the motorcycle industry,and the lengths which comp.'s go to make people spend a few more bucks on their product based on "rumors" for example the rumor that you should never run a synthetic oil in a bike with a wet clutch, or it will "glaze" the clutchs, i ran synthetic Mobil 1 for years in my 99 R-1 and never had any problems with the clutchs or anything else, do i spend a few more bucks $ on my bike than i need to? sure, but to be honest, i'm not sure what name brand of oil, i can use, can i just walk up to the synthetic Mobil 1 and buy a case of 10W-30 and run that, or does it have to be a standard petro.?
Old 03-12-2004, 01:02 PM
ATM! Addict

To see anyone spend too much on us for a study is probably unrealistic. My bottom line has been that almost anything will work pretty well, and part of that is based on the motoroil that they specify along with the brands they suggest are pretty mundane. So you can choose your oil by what shifts best for you. So many of the MC products really arent even rated or addressed by standards. We buy by reputation. Transmissions are smaller now, and work better and last longer than ever. Somehow their manufacturers keep the same suggestion for lube.

Get the book by Kevin Cameron if you dont already have it.

On synthetics, a man who was the head of Honda Racing in America showed me what was getting dumped into Bubba Shoebert's flat trackers and road racers in the 80's. It was Mobile 1. I have used their auto oils in my 1982 Sabre since he showed me that. Still do. No clutch problems either. It worked wonderfully in my XR's, and still does.

YZ, I could tell what you are saying, and having the temperment you do, I knew my approach wouldnt ruffle you. Much of my diatribe stemming from the late hours, you noted. I shouldnt try to think then, but I was buring off a long day and the caffeine that went with it.

I think the manufacturers have given us lots of leeway and built a really good product. Changed often I supose cornoil would work.
Sponsored Ads

All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha