All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Beginner Class

Default Yamaha RT180 problem

hey everyone one

im looking for some help.i bought a used 98 yamaha RT180 a few months back for $50 and the guy said it needed a gear.He said it doesnt run at all.i gave him the money hopped in the back of his truck and kicked it over.i was amazed.it started second kick.so i get it all ready to ride and i test it out.i rode for about 2 hours with alot of down time to let the motor cool.then i went to ride it again and i heard a thunmp then a whislting noise.took apart the top end.what do you know i put the piston in backwards and a ring clipped the exhaust port and engraved it into the piston.so i had it bored out and put a new wiseco piston kit in it.Today i finished it up and tried to start it.i had to put gas in the carb to prime it.it starts and redlines.it got so loud i had to shut it off.every time i did tried to start it i had to prime it and it redlines.a few hours later my neighbor got home and he started it up and it would want to shut off he reved it really high like it would rev up down up down up down.then he shut it off and i noticed oil was everywhere.i couldnt find were it was leaking.i did notice a threaded hole were a nuetral indicator switch goes.i think the oil came from there because that was the only place there was oil and it is right above the transmission.so if someone could please let me know what you think.im really wanting to go riding this weekend and this is my first dirt bike.thanks
Brandon
Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Intermediate Class

pics definitely help. also what exactly is it you are asking? im confused.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Beginner Class

more or less.how i could fix the starting problem.i have to prime it to get it started.then when i do get it started itr just runs full throttle but the throttle is all the way down in the carb.i know the carb is getting gas.plus i just cleaned it out.blew air through the jets.ki dont know if its the way i put the new piston in or what.i follwed all the directions.maybe the idle or the air mixture screw?please help i just really want to ride.thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Intermediate Class

maybe when you installed the throttle slide it didnt slide down the pins and isnt closing all the way. that happened to me on my old rt100. it wouldnt have anything to do with the new piston. try looking up the stock jetting and carb settings and go back to stock with the carb. i know if the dry side seal on the crank is bad it can lean out the mixture and cause a high idle, but what you are describing sounds more like a stuck throttle tube.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Beginner Class

the throttle slide seems to go all the way down.othere than a gap thats fairly small.it looks normal.the needle goes in like it should.do you know what the stock carb setting should be?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Beginner Class

i found out the problem with the oil.then i found out why it was overrevving.we rode it around and broke it in.it ran great.then i went to change the oil and i adjusted the clutch.went to start it it started and immediateley started overrevving again.nothing is stuck in the carb.could it be my right side crankcase gasket?it does have some oil leakage everynow and then.also another thing is i mixed the gas pretty rich.it smokes a good bit.im not sure.what do yall think.thanks for the advice
Old 04-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Welcome To ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrider180 View Post
.also another thing is i mixed the gas pretty rich.it smokes a good bit.im not sure.what do yall think.thanks for the advice
What do you mean by "I mixed the gas pretty rich"?

More oil in the gas mix will make the bike run leaner. (Less gas to air mixture since there is more oil.)

You said you fixed the problem with the bike revving then it revved again the next time you started it... How did you fix it the first time?

You also mentioned having to fill the carb with gas in order to get the bike to start.
I am thinking this is an issue with the carb float or valve. If the float and valve are not set properly, the carb bowl will not fill with gas and the bike will not start.
By putting gas into the carb manually, you allow the bike to start, however if the float and valve don't let the bowl refill, the bike will became extremely lean and rev very high.
Good luck,
Mike

Edit, I just realized this is an old post... hopefully this was already solved and may help someone else with a similar issue.
Later,
Mike

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha