All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Beginner Class

Default Clutch probs- clutch wont dis engage. HELP

I need help asap, im suppose to be leaving to ride at 11am friday jan 30th.

anyway heres the prob, my g/f's 2003 yz125 clutch wont dis engage. when i try to shift from neutral to 1st the bike jumps and stalls as if im dumping the clutch (with the lever pulled in) I tried adjusting the star adjuster on the clutch lever but that didnt fix it. any other ideas on what the problem could be? HELP PLEASE. I will be up late tonight if someone sees this and can respond I would really appreciate it.

soooolow@aol.com
Jay
Old 01-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Re: Clutch probs- clutch wont dis engage. HELP

could be shot, the basket could be grooved - hanging up the plates, the actuater could be worn. But it's a pretty new bike....
have you changed the oil regularly... or recently?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Expert Class

when you pull in the clutch lever-does it feel like it`s actually pulling the plates apart?...does it feel like it usally does when pulling it in?...i think you should drain the oil if you havent allready-it`s best to change it often-i do after 2 hours use...5 hours max...you should too...that`s your call...i`d pull off the clutch cover and check it out...you`d get more help with this from members if you actually answered questions and were around...i wasn`t gonna waste my time after seeing you didn`t answer gear graphics...maybe i`ll see later if you respond...maybe your question will get bumped and unnoticed...best wishes
Old 01-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Beginner Class

the bike has baout 3 hours on it so i doubt the clutch is toast. the guy that we bought the bike from put on an a/f perch and lever so im assuming the guy didnt have it adjusted properly. when i test road the bike the i would pull the lever in and give throttle and the bike would bump a little as if the clutch was wanting to engage so when i adjusted the wheel at the perch that did soemthing to make it stay dis engaged 100%. i adjusted the wheel back to where it was and still no luck, i tried adjusting the slack out of the cable without any diffrence so no wim stumped. when i took th ebike home it had about an inch of play...to much so I wanted to adjust that for her and all i did was make it worse, but the clutch was border line of engaging with the lever in anyway which i felt wasnt safe for her. if anyone has anymore ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

Paul...I wasnt around because it was late and I own a business and need to be up early. however i was up and online untill about midnight. I left my e-mail so if someone knew the prob they could respond that way i didnt have to check the board every 10 mins hoping someone would answer. thanks for the response though, i appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:52 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Paul,I thought that was kinda harsh IMO:

Elitedetail,Sorry I didn't see this sooner. My friends RM80 had sit all last summer without being rode or started....One day a few weeks ago his dad let him get it out and ride with me...He brought it over to my house and said when he put it in gear it jumped forward very fast and stalled...So I started the bike..pulled the clutch in and put it in 1st...it would VIOLENTLY jump forward. I adjusted on the adjuster by the perch(star adjuster as you stated)and finally got it to where it would not do it. Put the bike in gear,leave the clutch out and roll the bike back and forth until it wants to turn the engine over...Sometimes my CR will drag the rear tire when in gear and that will stop it..I guess sometimes maybe the plates get stuck together?

My clutch is new..basket has no grooves and the plates are not worn out. Good Luck
Old 01-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Beginner Class

thanks matt. Im yet to figure out this prob but now thats it not to early to piss my neighbors off im going to go mess with it some more and see what the deal is. If all else fails I guess its off the the dealer I go so they can charge me a fortune to fix what is probably a minor prob.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Expert Class

yeah,i didn`t mean to be harsh...just reality...if a guy wants some answers...it helps if he`s be gonna be around to give information...that`s just the reality...at least i was nice enough to search for this post again....hay,that paul guys nice sometimes for such a mean guy!....also,the post will get bumped and not be on the homepage where others can respond...this`ll kick it up front where folks can see it to help....of yeah,elite detail...you might have gotten more responces had your problem not been gone idle...3 hours is more than enough time for some folks to fry the plates...however that would make`em slip-not stay disengaged...couldn`t tell you without opening it up...sounds like adjustment is outta whack...didn`t mean to sound harsh!-my computer takes 5 mins to page load-dial up-and locks up alot...me bad...lets see what folks think-theres 85 members online and this`ll bump it to attention
Old 01-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro Class

what happens if you start the bike with the clutch all the way out and its in gear ?
Old 01-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Intermediate Class

I had the same problem with my cr125. it sat for a while and there must have been some condensation in the gearbox. The plates had all stuck together. All I had to do was disassemble it, clean the plates up, and lube them as I put them back in. It worked fine after that.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:17 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Paul,Yes...if someone posts they need to be around to give info...BUT you can't always be at the puter to type a reply to give more info. Sometimes I will post a thread and have errands to run and won't be back on for hours at a time and I give any additional info that someone needs at that time.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha

« Chain??? | Rebuild? »