All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Novice Class

Default 2001 Yz 125 clutch and throttle problems.

Hello I am a 16 year old who just got his first motocross bike! i had it for all of 40 hours and the motor exploded http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/images/smilies/cry.gif i got it home and took the bike apart. then sent the motor to Florida to my uncle. I just got it back and it starts up one kick in 20 degree weather. After that I put in to gear and it stalled I took the clutch cover and adjusted it by one notch. Started it up then popped it in to gear DID NOT STALL! Went for one ride down the driveway and what do you know the clutch is not letting out all the way. (Not disengaging) i came to the conclusion that if I kept riding it like it was i was going to burn out the clutch.

Help! What do I do?

The bike does not stall when I switch gears with clutch in (good)
does not completely disengage when clutch handle is completely out. (Bad)

Now for the throttle: i have the bike almost completely turned to the left and it races because the cable is being pinched. Turn to the right it id fine. i just need to know the exact path it is supposed take.

feel free to call me with some tips! 1203 448 8456

or email [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

thanks,
sean9224
Old 12-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Retired now a House Biatch

The throttle cable routing goes from the twist grip to the frame by the steering stem, then along the right side of the frame rail under the tank to the carb. Make sure when you put the tank on that the front mounting brackets do not catch the cable and push it under the frame rail.

The clutch could be any number of things but the first that comes to mind is the adjuster on the handle bar clutch lever or the in line (on the cable near the actuation lever) are out of adjustment.
- How did the clutch work before the rebuild?
- Is the adjuster on the handle bar all the way in or out?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
The throttle cable routing goes from the twist grip to the frame by the steering stem, then along the right side of the frame rail under the tank to the carb. Make sure when you put the tank on that the front mounting brackets do not catch the cable and push it under the frame rail.

The clutch could be any number of things but the first that comes to mind is the adjuster on the handle bar clutch lever or the in line (on the cable near the actuation lever) are out of adjustment.
- How did the clutch work before the rebuild?
- Is the adjuster on the handle bar all the way in or out?
i think that i put the throttle cable on the left side of the fork vs the right. (ill fix that)

and the clutch did work before the re build but it jumped even if the cluch handle was fully retracted.

and the adjuster by the clutch is fully in.
Sponsored Ads
Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9224 View Post
i think that i put the throttle cable on the left side of the fork vs the right. (ill fix that)

and the clutch did work before the re build but it jumped even if the cluch handle was fully retracted.

and the adjuster by the clutch is fully in.
My YZ125 jumped a tad when I put it into gear. Other than the jumping did it run ok? Try backing out the adjuster at the clutch lever a little bit at a time. From what you are describing am I correctly believing the clutch is slipping when in motion?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Novice Class

Quote:
My YZ125 jumped a tad when I put it into gear. Other than the jumping did it run ok? Try backing out the adjuster at the clutch lever a little bit at a time. From what you are describing am I correctly believing the clutch is slipping when in motion?
yes it is slipping too much because i adjusted it i cant get it back to normal.

i am going to see if i have the correct length of cable.

does your cable go from the left handle bar to the right side of the bike. and does your throttle cable go from the right side of the bike to the left?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:43 PM

I haven't had the 125 for a couple years now but I want to say the clutch cable went in front of the steering stem and then along the right side of the frame under the tank and then down to the actuating lever. The o/a length adjustment of the clutch cable could make a difference but unless it got changed or readjusted during the rebuild it should be ok. Were new clutch plates installed during the rebuild?

I remember the throttle cable routed as I described in the above post. Check your manual and it will show the proper routing.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Novice Class

looky here

Quote:
I haven't had the 125 for a couple years now but I want to say the clutch cable went in front of the steering stem and then along the right side of the frame under the tank and then down to the actuating lever. The o/a length adjustment of the clutch cable could make a difference but unless it got changed or readjusted during the rebuild it should be ok. Were new clutch plates installed during the rebuild?

I remember the throttle cable routed as I described in the above post. Check your manual and it will show the proper routing.
clutch was cleaned but not taken apart i am going to buy manual.

i think it is the length of the cable

as for the throttle i believe i miss routed it! ill get back to you if i need more help thank you i am going to check everything right now.

All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha