All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Novice Class

Default SST???

Hey guys, who's running an sst? i found one on ebay for $120 I currently have a fatty/stock/sparky. But i am looking to upgrade to SST/Turbine core. I'm looking for more snap to get the front wheel up/More revving. I have the six days of michigan trail ride coming up. Is this a good pipe for wide trails/MX/Maybe a little dune riding? Tell me what u think of it. Is the torque any worst then a Stock pipe?
Thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Re: SST???

SST is all top end. The SST is also bad for your engine, and it is adviseable to run something else.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Novice Class

whats so bad about it?
My buddy has one on a Cr 85 and loves it. But thats also an 85...
Old 07-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Intermediate Class

I just put the sst on my 05 cr 250. I love it. And it is not just top end. There is a power diffrence all the way through. Yes, it does give you more overrev. But as far as a good pipe I am satisfied. That is a good price for that pipe. I got mine for 180 and i thought that was cheap. sirfallsalot what is wrong with that pipe. I havent had any problems with my motor. I think it is a great pipe. But maybe thats just me
Old 07-06-2005, 12:34 PM
ATM! Pro Class

SST is designed with a large return in mind but involves certain "risks". If you're not planning on jetting to the ragged edge and/or increasing cylinder pressures through porting/head mods you might be okay. I'm not brand bashing the pipe, but the design can create certain problems.

FMF SST

Last edited by Faded; 07-06-2005 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Novice Class

I love the sst it does mainly give a lot more on the top end but it gives alot more than stock on mid to bottom end as well, i think you will like it. Some of my friends have it and they think its the best thing you can buy! But its pretty much garenteed that it will be better than stock no matter what, you have nothing to loose! Hope this helps!
Old 07-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Beginner Class

Why do you say it will be better than stock. The stock pipes on current bikes are pretty damn good. I've had a load of different ones(on same bike) and now back to using stock on mine. It just has the most allround power, it is quicker and just pulls that bit harder no matter where in the rev range. Summary on YZ250(ported,carb mod,VF etc etc).(with respective silencers).

FMF SST
Pros..... Eeeerrrrrm uhh Oh yeah it's shiny for a few weeks. Then poor chrome plate starts coming off and small rust spots show through. Good seller on E**y.
Cons....(wrecked the piston due to detonation). Had to use large jets to stop pinging so then less power than stock everywhere.

DOMA.
Pros. Engine jetting easy. Gained over rev.
Cons. Lost bottom end so needed much more clutch work. Might work if geared down.

DEP.
Pros. Best of the lot. Very Similat to stock. Slightly more overrev.
Cons. Still Slower out of a corner so slightly less bottom to mid.

Stock with DEP tailpipe

Pros. Flat hauls everywhere. Easy to jet.
Cons. No bling or BS factor.

When I bought the bling pipes they were all the best thing since sliced bread, hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Missing the days of riding

wouldnt running a higher octain fuel have stopped the pinging you were experiencing?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Intermediate Class

faded, that is the best explanation I have ever gotten about 2 stroke exhaust pipes. I knew maybe 5% of that before I read that and the rest of the posts in that forum too. That helps explain so much to me.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Beginner Class

CRDude.
With the SST I tried race fuel but it still did not eliminate the detonation issues fully. In deep mud and loamy sand it was a right pain. My motor is tuned quite high so maybe that is the main issue. Perhaps on bog stock bikes it is O.K. Perhaps this is also why you never see an SST on any factory bikes(correct me if I'm wrong!!). As faded said the bulge in the stinger causes a larger pressure wave that causes all sorts of problems if it is not in perfect tune with what the rest of the engine wants.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Stimps, which "race fuel" did you try? Just curious... Heard of this happening more than once.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Beginner Class

Hi Faded,
It was supplied by VP, and using castrol TTS oil at 40:1. I also tried the highest grade pump gas using silkolene pro boost at various percentages. In the end I swopped pipes and the problem instantly went away. I can run straight pump fuel now with no issues. Now more piston damage either.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Novice Class

i have a kx 125...144 eric gorr. Ported. Raised Compression. Maybe i should talk to eric and see if he thinks the pipe would work for this motor? He recomended an FMF to me and i currently have a fatty thats been dented to hell and back
Thanks for the reply's and keep em' coming
Old 07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Intermediate Class

i have it on my 02 rm250- it is a great pipe- i haven't had any problems yet- the SST made the whole powerband wider- i think i is great- i ride it in the woods, and race motocross- i would recommend it
Old 07-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Novice Class

man ur RM sounds sweet! i just read ur sigg. how do i make one?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Novice Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimps
Why do you say it will be better than stock. The stock pipes on current bikes are pretty damn good. I've had a load of different ones(on same bike) and now back to using stock on mine. It just has the most allround power, it is quicker and just pulls that bit harder no matter where in the rev range. Summary on YZ250(ported,carb mod,VF etc etc).(with respective silencers).

FMF SST
Pros..... Eeeerrrrrm uhh Oh yeah it's shiny for a few weeks. Then poor chrome plate starts coming off and small rust spots show through. Good seller on E**y.
Cons....(wrecked the piston due to detonation). Had to use large jets to stop pinging so then less power than stock everywhere.

DOMA.
Pros. Engine jetting easy. Gained over rev.
Cons. Lost bottom end so needed much more clutch work. Might work if geared down.

DEP.
Pros. Best of the lot. Very Similat to stock. Slightly more overrev.
Cons. Still Slower out of a corner so slightly less bottom to mid.

Stock with DEP tailpipe

Pros. Flat hauls everywhere. Easy to jet.
Cons. No bling or BS factor.

When I bought the bling pipes they were all the best thing since sliced bread, hope this helps.
The Reason I say its better than stock is because it is! I have had 4 RMs, with FMF pipes and silencers on them which were 125s and 250s. They all the after market FMF pipes and all of them gained much more power all around whether it was with my Gnarly (for torqe and bottom to mid), and Fatty (general gain all around) on my 250s or my sst (mid to mostly top) and fatty Gold series on my 125s. The stock pipes on the bikes i had and some i still have were no comparasion to the FMFs. All my other buddys that have aftermarket FMFs have had basically the same experience as me. Stock pipes just dont have it and thats a fact! Plus there ugly! Hope this helps clear the fog up!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Novice Class

Ya i think i'm goin for the sst. i've always done what ppl have told me not to do. nothing against the guys that told me not to, but it's something i feel i must do....lol
Old 07-07-2005, 08:15 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx144
Ya i think i'm goin for the sst. i've always done what ppl have told me not to do. nothing against the guys that told me not to, but it's something i feel i must do....
That's okay, it's not my bike so I'm not too worried.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Intermediate Class

Well I'm sure we'll hear from ya in a month saying,"I'm having dentonation problems, please help me," or something like that but like faded said and I agree, it ain't my bike and if you like it go for it.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Beginner Class

Joerider,
I was merely wondering what your comment:-"But its pretty much garenteed that it will be better than stock no matter what" was actually based on. If you think the designer and manufacturer of your bike does'nt have a clue about expansion chamber design or what works best for all round power then you are pretty much mistaken. We're not talking about some hot potch road car with a built to cost exhaust system meeting stringent noise regualtions.
Almost all tuning (assuming same capacity) is a compromise and what you lose in one area can be gained in another. Some of the pipes I have give a bigger hit and therefore the impression of more power, some of this percieved gain is actually due to the loss of power lower down. I'm not saying that they cannot improve the power for you (they can) but to expect an Awesome Power boost throughout the rev range just is not going to happen.
The fact you say they are ugly is probably a pretty good indication of why your stock pipe is so inferior to that of an aftermarket pipe manufacturer...
At least KX144 is going to use is head and speak to Eric like he said!!!!!!!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums