All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Clutch Question

Today when i got home from college i went up to our camp to take my bike for a ride and after i let it warm up and got my **** on when i went to take off i let the clutch out and the bike was only rolling at like 1 mph max, i shifted to 2nd and it just about stalled out. So what i think is wrong is the clutch is slipping and i need new clutch plates and thats what one of my other friends thinks aswell BUT my dad keeps telling me that he's almost positive it doesn't need a clutch because when the plates go bad they will lock up and you wont be able to shift it into a gear he thinks the cable is out of adjustment which it isn't because i ****ed with it for about 20 minutes tightening and loosening it and still had the same result. So in your guys opinion what do you think is wrong? I need a new clutch kit? or?

Thanks for your help.

-Dan
Old 11-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Re: Clutch Question

When you give it gas,does the rpm,s increase but no wheel speed?Or no forward motion.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:23 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman87 View Post
Today when i got home from college i went up to our camp to take my bike for a ride and after i let it warm up and got my **** on when i went to take off i let the clutch out and the bike was only rolling at like 1 mph max, i shifted to 2nd and it just about stalled out. So what i think is wrong is the clutch is slipping and i need new clutch plates and thats what one of my other friends thinks aswell BUT my dad keeps telling me that he's almost positive it doesn't need a clutch because when the plates go bad they will lock up and you wont be able to shift it into a gear he thinks the cable is out of adjustment which it isn't because i ****ed with it for about 20 minutes tightening and loosening it and still had the same result. So in your guys opinion what do you think is wrong? I need a new clutch kit? or?

Thanks for your help.

-Dan
Sounds like it! lay your bike over and take off the clutch cover, and follow these instructions up to removing the plates. If they are black and glazed or without much fibre on them it's fried.
Project: Hinson Clutch
Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMudslinger 250 View Post
When you give it gas,does the rpm,s increase but no wheel speed?Or no forward motion.

Yea thats what happens, there is forward motion but i mean such a small amount that you might as well say there is none, and yes your right when you give it gas it seems like you still have the clutch pulled in and it'll only go about 1 mph at most.

Pjg351: Thank you for the how-to link i will do that tommorow with my dad, he still wants to mess with the tension on the clutch cable, he knows a ton about OLDER bikes but not the newer ones so i think thats what miht have him confused about the clutch systems, he rode in the 70's and the bikes back than were very differant in comparison to my '98 lol.

Thanks all for your input, only been a user of this forum for a few weeks and everyone seems very helpful and no matter how simple my questions are noone seems to laugh at me and always are willing to help out

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums