All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2017, 10:34 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default 99 cr125 ran fine now it won't start

Hey guys, this is my first post here, I've tried everything I can think of so any feed back is much appreciated.

Recently replaced both crank seals. After the bike started up easily and ran fine, i did not have a chance to ride it because iit' snowing. After everything was back together I realized I forgot to install the pin which holds the powervalve arm on, so iI removed the exhaust and iinstalled the pin, i also removed the left exhaust valve cover to inspect it, when I removed it a good bit of premix/ sploog ran out. I also replaced the waterpump gasket because it had a very slow drip. Replaced grips with locking grips that required changing the throttle tube, Changed the transmission oil and Put everything back together and now the bike will not even try to start, here's what iI've tried so far,

checked spark out of cylinder- looks nice and blue

Cleaned the carb twice, replaced both jets and needle ( had a jd kit for it)

Replaced fuel line

cleaned all electrical connections, grounds ect.

tried starting it with the silencer removed

Igave it a sshot of starting fluid in the spark plug hole and it fired one time but i iimmediately shut it off because it revved up real high

Tried putting a tiny bit of premix in the spark plug hole and nothing, doesn't even try to fire

inspected reeds , which are new anyway

Tested compression- 150 psi cold

disconnected kill switch

checked for broken wires

The mix gas Ihave is a couple months old but since it was just running fine, iIfigured that wouldn't be a problem

I'm out of ideas, tthe only thing i can think of is that the plug isn't getting spark when it's under compression? Maybe a bad coil or stator? How would Igo about testing the spark while its in the cylinder ?

Or maybe I somehow created a large airleak? Which I am not sure how that could have happened by only doing those few small repairs,

I'm very confused because the bike started so easy only a few days before i did those things to it, but nothing i did seems like it would cause this issue,

I have yet to try and bump start it since there'sa foot of snow in my yard, any help would be great guys. I have to much time and money into the bike to give up on it
Old 02-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default fixed

After pulling my hair out for all night I think i have it figured out, all I did was remove the airbox and blocked the carb intake about 90% and it fired. I figured Imay have a big air leak since starving it for air was able to get it going. So i assembled everything started it up and it went like the throttle was wide-open, so I shut it off and began to check for leaks, didn't see anything so I put some slack in the throttle and turned out the idle screw a bit. Now it starts right up first kick. Kind of odd, i swear i kicked the thing a hundred times and it showed no signs of life untill i choked the carb

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 2-Stroke Dirt Bike Forums