All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > Dirt Bike Restorations and Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Beginner Class

I was able to able to finish up most of it last night. Still need to do the front brake but I was able to at least attempt to get it started.

I went with Guts tall seat foam and an Evo-MX tall cover. Not super thrilled with the fit but it will work for now. The cover was a little too big and required me to pull it towards the back a little farther than I would like. Makes the Honda logo too far back.

I'll get some better pics when I have a minute.

As soon as I turned the fuel on the carb flooded and I wasn't able to get the bike started last night. It only did it once but it dumped a bunch of gas in the cylinder. This morning I pulled the carb back off and made sure the float was set right and the float needle valve was closing properly. I put it all back together and got it started finally. No choke and a little throttle. It won't idle but it runs ok down the street.

Here's a quick video of when I started it up this morning:
https://youtu.be/8QOBUJlTL_c

Dogger, it looks like I may be ordering a PWK before I anticipated. I've now rebuilt this carb twice and you're right, they just don't run quite right, especially at idle. I know you've tried both the 38mm and 39.5 PWK. What are your thoughts now that you've had some time on them both? Are you running the 38mm Air Striker or just the regular 38? I've got the 38 Air-striker on my 93 250 and it's damn near perfect. Very crisp and responsive.

Last edited by MtBiker14; 11-10-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:58 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Wow sooner than expected!!! Looks fantastic! I especially like the finish on the motor.

Even thoughtfully carb isn't great the bike still sounds good! There is nothing better than a big bore two stroke!! That PWK will just finish off the motor nicely.... As for which one... Let Dogger answer that one
Old 11-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Expert Class

What is your intended use for the bike? MX: 38mm PWK airstryker. Off road, 39.5mm PWK.
JMV
Old 11-11-2016, 12:45 AM
Intermediate Class

very good rebuild, looks great!

one last thought, it needs a good spoke clean up to shine them a bit

about the PJ you're all right, i'm using on my 250 and about the idle problems i think i've found a partial solution, not that it will hold idle for long time but it will for half a minute or so after testing it. Just used a #58 instead of #55 idle jet (using same air screw setting, needed a little idle adjustment from choke knob) and now it seems to run a bit better low down and idle (carb is fully rebuild with new slide). Now once i gun the throttle and let the rpms drop, the engine doesn't stop running but tries to hold idle and after 3-5seconds the rpms rise back up a bit and runs idle. There is a "design flaw" on the slow/idle circuit which doesn't work properly because it combines these two circuits to work together, having the choke knob partially open to adjust idle makes the slow circuit not working properly because air is now drawn through that circuit (so it cannot draw fuel properly from slow jet) instead it bypasses by the choke/idle knob.

Hadn't had the time to go for a ride or adjust the air screw though, maybe turning out the air screw would make it work. Best bet would be a PWK though, different and proven to work slow circuit/idle design... if that extra money is out of concern.

Was thinking to put a #60 in it and give it a go... then lean out by the air screw the idle mixture.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:49 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Turned out nice! Another 500 brought back.

You can still salvage that seat cover by removing the staples and pulling it
forward and down toward the Black part of the color. Get it lined up the way
you want using the "Honda" logos and keeping the Black to Red line straight,
then re-staple.

On your start up video, the engine is jetted too lean. I recommend you up the
pilot jet one size especially during break in.

As far as PWKs, For the kind of riding you're going to do (trails, enduros), a
38mm Air Stryker is the best fit. You'll get very good throttle response, good
off idle to low and good low to mid out of that size which is where you will
spend most of your time. You can use pretty much the same jetting you have
now and just fine tune as needed.

Quote:
about the PJ you're all right, i'm using on my 250 and about the idle problems i think i've found a partial solution, not that it will hold idle for long time but it will for half a minute or so after testing it. Just used a #58 instead of #55 idle jet (using same air screw setting, needed a little idle adjustment from choke knob) and now it seems to run a bit better low down and idle (carb is fully rebuild with new slide). Now once i gun the throttle and let the rpms drop, the engine doesn't stop running but tries to hold idle and after 3-5seconds the rpms rise back up a bit and runs idle. There is a "design flaw" on the slow/idle circuit which doesn't work properly because it combines these two circuits to work together, having the choke knob partially open to adjust idle makes the slow circuit not working properly because air is now drawn through that circuit (so it cannot draw fuel properly from slow jet) instead it bypasses by the choke/idle knob.
The problem with that solution is all you're doing is masking a design flaw with
the PJ. I've never cared about idle characteristics since I'm a MXer and two
stroke MX bikes aren't supposed to idle. That may be why Honda decided it
was OK to slap a PJ on every one of their MX bikes when all the other companies
went with PWKs. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that if you are
looking to do more than MX, you're going to need something other than a PJ.
Now that the PJ has gotten old and NLA, I've extended that to no matter what
you plan to ride, you need something other than a PJ.

Quote:
Best bet would be a PWK though, different and proven to work slow circuit/idle design
I see you have already reached that same conclusion.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Beginner Class

Thanks for all the feedback buys. I really appreciate all the insight.

Quote:
What is your intended use for the bike? MX: 38mm PWK airstryker. Off road, 39.5mm PWK.
JMV, I plan mounting up a Timbersled snowbike kit during the winter and maybe some faster trail/desert riding in the spring/fall.

Quote:
one last thought, it needs a good spoke clean up to shine them a bit
Totally agree Byronk. Since we're going into winter I'm pulling the wheels off in a few weeks to mount up the timbersled. Over the winter I'm going to powder coat the hubs black and lace up new rims with new spokes. These ones are too corroded to clean up nice enough.

Dogger, I'm gonna try and fix that seat cover or just order a new one if I can't get it right. Admittedly, seat covers are my nemesis. It's my least favorite thing to do.

I got out for a short ride today to play with the jetting a little but I'm having no luck. This thing just won't idle and wants to just die when I clutch and slow in the corners. The weird thing is the idle adjustment just doesn't seem to do anything. I'm still starting it cold with no choke and a little throttle.

I didn't mention it before but I'm at about 4000 ft and it's about 55F outside during the day. I have the stock 1368NS needle in at #3 clip position, 175 main and was at a 55 pilot yesterday but put in a 58 today. That didn't seem to help anything. Messed with the air screw from 1 to 2 turns out in small increments. It's just the idle to 1/8 throttle. I think I'll throw in the towel on this carb unless you guys have any other thoughts. The 38mm PWK is pretty cheap and well worth the money if it will run better.

On a positive note, this thing put a huge smile on my face today every time I cracked the throttle. I've never owned a big bore 2t so it's already making me want to start yet another project and maybe build up an AF for MX. So. Much. Fun!

Also, I'm so glad you guys talked me into balancing the crank, I swear the 500 doesn't vibrate much more than my 250's, maybe not at all.

Here are a few completed pics before I went in the dirt.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:38 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I'll say it again! Seeing those final pictures out in the forest... This bike looks amazing!!! Is there any reason you opted for a high seat?
Old 11-12-2016, 12:52 AM
Intermediate Class

beautifull bike!

you can adjust the idle by the choke/idle adjuster knob by turning it anticlockwise, i believe these make a click note at 6 steps per revolution, try two clicks at a time.

about the seat cover, i believe that the Honda logo should come out nicely on a normal seat foam, but since you have used a tall foam it needs to be matched with a bigger cover to get the logos correctly.

now forget all these and let it RIP the gravel!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:42 AM
JOATMON

I think most guys running Timbersleds are using the PWK38 with Pulse Injection, but don't quote me on that. This bike turned out great, very nice job on the resto!
Old 11-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo450 View Post
I'll say it again! Seeing those final pictures out in the forest... This bike looks amazing!!! Is there any reason you opted for a high seat?
Thanks Stevo. I'm 6'4 with 36" inseam so I have to run tall foam on all my bikes if I actually want to ride like a normal person

Thanks for the input Cowboy, I've heard about those pulse injectors but don't know much about them. I'll have to check that out.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > Dirt Bike Restorations and Builds