All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > Dirt Bike Restorations and Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2016, 05:16 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Nice job!

The engine looks brand new, and that powder coat is a perfect color match.
Very good call on the Hinson basket. It will outlast the OE casting by two
or three times. One caution with the clutch pack, stay away from the
Kevlar fiber clutch disc some of the kits come with. Kevlar is a nice
durable material, but it will wear out even hardened billet baskets in no
time. I recommend using stock Honda clutch disc and plates. Another
"suggestion" is to replace that plastic ignition cover with an aftermarket
casting. The plastic is notorious for leaking in sand and water. If you want
to keep the OE look, just be aware that you will have to remove the cover
after every ride and clean the stator and other parts with an aerosol cleaner
then dry with compressed air.

Now that you have the engine and frame done, what's next?

Really looking forward to your next update.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Beginner Class

Thanks Dogger. As always, your tips are much appreciated. I'm not sure what clutch plates are in there, they may be Tusk but it was one of the few things I haven't replaced yet since they were well within spec.

I totally agree on the ignition cover, I do like the OEM look and my OCD kicked so I didn't want to run the boyesen covers since I wasn't running anything boyesen haha. If I could find a good HRC or Pro Circuit cover I might do that.

As for the rest of it, I'm still waiting for a few more parts to get it finished up. I'm debating on whether to go with some 05-08 CRF forks or just stick with the stock KYB. I will be putting a timbersled snowbike kit on this for the winter so think I'm gonna want some better forks, but we'll see what I can find.

I'll post more pics as I make progress.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Beginner Class

It's starting to look like a motorcycle again. It's been just parts in boxes for the last 5 months. I got the engine in the frame and did a mockup with the plastics and seat cover.

A couple questions for you guys: Handlebar choice? This thing has oversize bar clamps but I'm wondering about running the Renthal twinwalls vs the standard 7/8"? Any noticeable difference in vibration? I want to stick with Renthals and preferable with a cross bar.

The other thing is flywheel weight. It had a 15oz Steahly weight on it so I'm curious of any thoughts about running it vs not.

The plan is to put a yellow shock spring on in the spring after the Timbersled comes off, but I need to just test ride this thing so I'll run what it came with.

The variation of reds just kills me. It's so hard to get things to match. I'll go crazy if I stare at these things too long. Acerbis front fender, UFO rear fender, stock 97 Honda seat, EVO-MX 96 seat cover, throttle jockey 95 team honda graphics. The pics don't show the color differences very well but in person, and especially under fluorescent lights it's very noticeable

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:49 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Colour differences are such a bummer! I was faced with that when I did my frame.... It's not a deal breaker but I know what you're not happy about.
It's looking really clean! The motor in the frame looks so so clean!
Old 10-23-2016, 01:33 AM
Intermediate Class

Looks fantastic. Great job!

I'm cleaning up a 96 250 for a mate ATM, we just got the same graphics kit. Did you try to locate a matching seat cover at all?

JFYI, too late I know, but Polisport do a complete kit, so no miss matched color, in the plastics at least lol.
My problem is a stained and nasty looking tank, and an owner who doesn't want to spend $$. I can't even leave it on the bike. It has to go. If he doesn't buy a new one, I will lol.
I spent hours sanding the swing arm by hand with wet and dry.
OCD sucks aye?
Old 10-23-2016, 09:39 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Color matching can be a PITB.

The easiest is to pick an item that dominates the color (seat cover, radiator
shrouds, etc), then match all the other items to that. I exclusively use UFO
plastic. They are the only company that makes true color matched plastic
for the steelies. Unfortunately, OE Honda plastic is one of the worst at
consistent color. There were at least 5 shade variations between 92-97.

Also, don't sweat minor variations, they existed on these bikes when they were
brand new sitting in the showroom.

As for the bars, I'm a big fan of Renthal Twin Walls. You'll get some vibration
because the bar mounts are solid without bushings. If you want to get rid of
that, swap your upper triple for a 97 to get the rubber mounted mounts. Also
that crank balance will help with the vibration level.

There's a guy on EBay UK that sells a cast copy of the Honda Racing ignition
cover if you want to go that route.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Beginner Class

Now that I've been staring at this thing for a couple days it's kinda growing on me

2stroke - I did try to find that matching seat cover with the "flame" extensions from the '95 graphics but no luck. The closest I could get was Ceet racing that would make the cover in the 95/96 OEM colors with Honda printed in black instead of the CR. I had already ordered the cover from Evo-MX so I'll probably run that for now but the red is quite a bit brighter than my other Ceet cover on my 93.

Dogger- thanks for the tip on the HRC covers. I'll see if I can find those.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Beginner Class

Getting real close to finishing this thing. Really looking forward to firing her up.

Gnarly pipe, airbox and shock installed. Not sure if I'll like this pipe but since it's what came with the bike I'll give it a try.

Stock PJ carb cleaned up and installed. The choke was broken in half so I had to rob one from a spare carb I had laying around.

New frame guards

Found a little pin sized hole in the bottom of the radiator from the shroud rubbing through the aluminum. This was a replacement I had bought off ebay. I don't think I've found a single used part off ebay that was actually in good condition. This one was straight but apparently didn't hold water. I patched it up with some JB weld so hopefully it holds.

Almost there...

All I have left to do is install the controls, cables, chain and rebuild the front brake caliper. I should have it finished up this weekend.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:33 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Looking real good.

You might like that Gnarly pipe. They weigh a bit more due to the trails specific construction, but make a nice fat bottom end boost.

Those frame guards are great. They were originally designed to smooth the area around the frame/subframe junction so your boots didn't get hung up, but they are even better at keeping the paint from being rubbed off.

Quote:
Found a little pin sized hole in the bottom of the radiator from the shroud rubbing through the aluminum. This was a replacement I had bought off ebay. I don't think I've found a single used part off ebay that was actually in good condition. This one was straight but apparently didn't hold water. I patched it up with some JB weld so hopefully it holds.
This is why I always fill my coolant system with plain ol' water the first time even if I'm using brand new components. Prevents the loss of expensive coolants like Water Wetter or Engine Ice along with the mess made from
that stuff spraying out of a pin hole or loose fitting.

Don't know if JB Weld will do the trick. If it starts leaking again, take the radiator down to your local radiator shop and have them weld that hole shut. Also, you can buy a set of radiator guards from Works Connection that
will protect the radiators in the event of a crash and against any more damage from the shrouds.

Just thinking out loud here, but if that OE PJ still works well, it will be somewhat of a miracle. The problem is age and wear. Even if you put a rebuild kit on it, the castings are notorious for wear especially around the float
pins and the throttle valve cavity. What that leads to is inconsistent and even poor performance. PJs are a decent carb when new but 38mm aren't made anymore and with the readily available and superior PWK, nobody's
missing them. I had to find a new 38 PJ for my showroom CR250 project and it was next to impossible to do so. I ended up spending a ton of money and assembling one from NOS parts. A new PWK should be one of the
first things on your list for future upgrades.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:31 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Such a clean simple build! I like it! It's always rewarding putting everything together and I bet firing it up for the first time will put a smile on your face

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > Dirt Bike Restorations and Builds