All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > Dirt Bike Restorations and Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 09:42 AM
will fall over

Absolutely not saying it would be a time waste. Of course we well know that if you were trying to run a restore on the cheap and sell for profit business that project selections would have a much different criteria. It is an obvious labor of love here, and pride in the end result and razor sharp resto skills are not acquired by admiring other people's work
Good on you Stevo I will enjoy following this
Old 07-27-2013, 10:08 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Awesome!! Yea this is definately a labour of love...some great surprises lift my sprits when find great deals on random stuff...like NOS airbox/cheap OEM rims/engine parts that you never thought you'd find....plastics kits, nuts and bolts, rubber grommets ....I think I could write a complete list of the parts finches....man it's great fun!!!

Parts order shall be aced soon enough...matter of fact I already have these:
Gas tank
Seat cover
Rocker arms
Carbs

Lining up NOS cylinder head

Soon my extremely LOOO NNG list of parts will be order in sections to ease the blow of being a massive bill.... List comprising of quite literally every thing on the parts diagram bar what I have etc....

Sigh, can't wait to get ordering parts

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Btw thanks for following/commenting sometime I need inspiration.....lots of it
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Intermediate Class

Good progress stevo. Do all the mid 80's xr250's have the dual carbs? What are the years to have? I am liking the looks of these. If the current 230's are based off this motor, I am sure it's fun and reliable.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Beginner Class

1984/85 XR200R
1984/85 XR250R
1984/87 XL250R
1983/84 XR350R
1983/84 XR500R
1985/87 XR600R
Old 07-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Intermediate Class

use a thread chaser if there is powder in the theads retapping seems to cut too much
Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Small update! First parcel arrived!!! :) :)

It's always exciting when a you get a note to go pick up a parcel from the post office!!!.....
Well not that exciting but hey, it's a start....

SEAT COVER - a replica of corse - I like the colour of this one, I'm getting a replica tool bag in the same material should look good even says 'XR' YEA

I'll have to get it fitting to see what it really looks like on the seat...should be alright tho....

I also paid a visit to a shop that does anodising, haven't left any parts yet....but they look decent.
The guys I saw to do the ceramic coating on the exhaust headers was, well not too helpful....
I'll snoop around- heard good things about a guy in auburn WA USA who runs performance coatings ....waiting to hear back from them.

No engine updates just yet.....
Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 AM
Beginner Class

I had my rims anodised and stainless spokes fitted.

The first time I rebuilt my XR I went with all new oem nuts bolts, later on I swapped 'em out for stainless; as your finding out, the bolts can be pricey from Honda.

I powdercoated (got my own kit) the engine cases,covers, front calliper etc.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

When you fit that seat cover, try to use stainless staples. The normal ones have a tendancy to rust over time.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

RAL 2002 is a good match for flash red (powdercoat)
Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default ENGINE UPDATE!!!!

Before I start, thanks to all those who are watching this thread!! The advice is great too and so is the encouragement ( at times much needed )!!!

On to the engine....
Well as you may or may not have known that the engine that came with the bike was in VERY bad shape and checked out to be no good!

I took a gamble on an engine I found on eBay which could have potentially have be money down the drain!! Well.....

I purchased the engine with mixed feelings....
Seeing that the engine was in the states and I am in Australia I decided to send the whole motor to dogger315 for a tear down and inspection to see if the engine could be salvaged!! At this point I would like to thank dogger315 for doing an awesome job so far...without him I think this project would have terminated long ago as I would have had no donar engine!!
I am very happy to report back with most great news about the motor....so far we have struck gold!!! Amazingly the cylinder head is NOT cracked and can be restored and used again!!!!!!!!! For those that know these bikes they'd know that the heads are usually cracked so you must know how happy I am at this point.

A few of the bad points:
The right case cover is cracked and not usable

Thankfully I already have a useable candidate for restoration from the motor here in Australia. I'll be sending this to dogger315 for restoration along with the rest of the motor....

Oil cap is cracked

Case guard is toast

Clutch basket is notched but will be filed as replacements are pricy

Here are a few picture of the good bits that have been cleaned up by dogger315...

Here is the cylinder head after hot tank...sight for sore eyes and spirit lifter at this time-NO CRACKS IN HEAD!!

For now that is all I have on the engine. I am busy deciding on the route to take with the motor. While in dogger315 shop I figured getting the 'works' done would be good. I'll update with the final decision.

As for other parts, I'll be starting parts ordering in a two weeks.
I'm awaiting various micselanious parts and will update as parts arrive. Most things will now require funding and I'm juggling the following things:
PC for frame and swing arm.
PC for misc. parts ( foot pegs etc )
Zinc plating of bolts and misc. parts
Awaiting carbs to restore.....
Reanodize the shock.
Restore the fork legs.
PC hubs and locate misc. replacement parts for each.
Awaiting gas tank to begin restoration of that....
Recover seat.

This is just an endless list of things...I'm not really trying to do this in any particular order as the motor is top priority! As and when time and funding is available I'll work on stuff that can be restored and then boxed and stored until reassembly.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Been a while.... ENGINE TEAR DOWN COMPLETE!

Well I haven't posted an update for a while..... Parts are still making their way to me......
But the motor is now completely torn down and looking GREAT!! Thanks again to dogger315 and his work! Overall the motor looks fantastic tranny looks good and will just be reassembled with replacement bits, the cases look good and are ready for restoration. As for the right case cover, cylinder head cover and stator cover-they are now in transit to the US to be in the good care of Dogger315s' shop getting a full on face lift and through check over.... Work will also be taking place to the cylinder which merely needs a hone, decking and cosmetic far lift before being reused. Alright enough of my blabbering........

Here are some pics

This is the old cylinde cover....damaged
My good one is no en-route to replace this one....

Here are the parts now being sent to replace broken parts....

A few other parts have been sent out, the headers have gone to get a fresh ceramic coating, the misc. nuts and bolts and parts have been sent for zinc plating and should be ready in a week....
As for the body parts....the frame, swing arm, misc parts etc are booked for blasting and PC'ing as soon as I get the PC powder in.
I'm tackling the carbs soon too..... pictures to follow as I planned a special restoration for those ( your going to want to WATCH THIS SPACE )
Also still waiting on the manual so I can get the forks and shock apart to get those restored.......

I guess nothing really interesting is happening, this is all the slow but steady work laying down the base for things to come......after I'm in no rush as this is my project hobby
Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Tank arrival and carb update.

Today the tank arrived...it's in need of a refresh but it's still in reasonable condition I'll be restoring it at a later stage:

Not bad shape, I'll replace the stickers after I've cleaned it up, should work well!

AND I got stuck into the carbs....

It was messy in there, lots of work ahead. I have 3 sets of carbs to piece together one carb. Seeing that most of the carb parts are NLA I decided to get a selection to make up one good carb both functionality wise and cosmetically. However getting there shall be 'fun' I'll probably get a start on them tomo, doing a preliminary clean and inspect. I'll be choosing various parts to make up a good primary and secondary carb. I'll post up pictures of my final pick of carb components. I then plan to get the carbs cleaned and the external metal arms tabs and brackets send for gold passivate to mimic the carb as it would have looked from keihin when first manufactured. It should look and perform beautifully!
Anyways enough blabbing and here are pics:

What.....?!?!?!?!?

And finally my work bench is covered in carb parts.......

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike Knowledge Base and Build Threads > Dirt Bike Restorations and Builds