All Things Moto! Web Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Beginner Class

Default Stupid Question on DR350

Got a 95 DR-350, first 4 stroke Suzuki I have owned. Question is this, is the drain plug for the case that tiny a$$ one on the lower right hand side near the kick start input? If it is that is friggin ridiculous. The hole can't be more than 3/16" if that. The last thing I need is a 3 hour oil change because only .00001 quarts per minute can drain out. Anyone know if this is the case or am I just stupid?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Expert Class

Default Re: Stupid Question on DR350

Is there any way you can post pictures?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Beginner Class

Not any time soon. I got a digital camera but I'm at work all day then I'm heading out ridin' later, other bike of course. Well when I take the plug out oil dribbles out and its the closest thing to the bottom of the case so it must be it. It's just a pain in the a$$, I just picked up the bike and didn't even have time to drain all the oil out of it last night. I'm a 2 stroke guy but I figured it would be cool to pick up a cheap thumper so I grabbed this girl.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:11 AM
Expert Class

Just a guess, but shouldn't the drain plug be located on the bottom of the motor? If all else fails you can look up a parts diagram at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] -- that will usually tell you what parts go where.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:21 AM
ATM! Pro Class

yeah the one your talking about is an oil check hole. Pull that little bolt out when you go to add oil to the gear box. When oil comjes out the little hole your gear box is full. Also you can check it here by just pulling the little plug out and then leveling the bike to see if oil drains out, if it does you have plenty of lube. The actuall drain plug for oil changes will be on the bottom of the motor. (as was already stated)
Old 10-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Beginner Class

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't see a plug on the bottom of the motor but 75% of the bulbs in my garage are blown out so I can't see crap usually. I'm used to Honda XRs where the plug is in plain view on the lower left of the crank case.

So now I'm kinda confused, the check hole makes sense since the gear box on my last RM250 had one, but is there two seperate fills for the engine and gear box on this bike? The oil fill is on the top of the frame rail right behind the steering pivot. Should I just pull the plug on the case and fill her till oil starts coming out the check hole.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Intermediate Class

No do not fill it that way.
The DR350 is a dry sump motor. What that means is that most of oil is not carried in the cases of the engine. There should be a frame rail drain bolt. My XR600R is a dry sump and has one oil fill location. It is right behind the steering head. The oil drain is on the down tube of the frame from the head set right at the location where the frame splits to form the engine frame rails. I also have a case drain bolt to drain the motor.

The oil pump has a check valve to maintain oil pump pick up level, not over all oil level. The oil level on my XR is checked by a dip stick in the oil fill neck up by the steering head.

The way to fill a dry sump thumper is drain the oil (frame and motor), put the drain bolts back in. then add one quart of oil. Start the bike and let the oil circulate. Turn it off. check the oil level. Add oil to the recommended level (in your case a level check bolt). Start the bike again. Check again, add again, start again and so forth. Do this about 3 to 4 times and you should have the correct level.

If you just pour the oil in until it come out the level bolt more than likely you will underfill the oil.

The other thing to be careful of is check valve leak by. If I went right now pulled the fill plug/dipstick it would read low. I would be inclined to add oil. What I really need to do is start the bike, give it time to warm up a little, then turn if off. As soon as I turn it off I need to check the level on the dips stick. At that point the dip stick would indicated true oil system level.

This issue shows up even more with a hot engine. As the oil heats up it thins. If the check valve leaks a thinner fluid will leak by faster and easier.

This happended to me on my XR. Came back from riding, parked the bike, got a drink and took a little break. It was a very hot day and an XR600R run hot enough by itself so I wanted to make sure the oil level was correct. So before I went riding again I checked the oil. It read low. I mean off the dip stick low! I had ot add almost a whole quart of oil to bring the level up.

Right then I should have stopped and checked the muffler and the plug to see if they were black from buring that much oil. I did not. What I did was over fill the system. It sure burned oil after I did that.
Sponsored Ads
Old 10-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Beginner Class

Thumprding, thank you man.

All Things Moto! Web Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Suzuki