All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Specialty Riding Forums > Offroad Riding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Expert Class

Default Why Do I Ride?

That's a question I not only get asked alot but that I will also ask myself, from time to time. It's hard to put into logical terms, especially when the question is not only why do I ride....but more to the point, why do I ride "the way" that I do. To be honest, I don't have a clue.

Why do I even bother to gear-up, knowing that by the end of the day I'll be hot, tired, dirty and half beaten to death? Whether at the track or on the trail, it's always understood between my riding buddies and me, that we're all probably gonna' finish the day with anything from minor cuts, scrapes, bruises and sprains, to "dude, ya' really oughta' have stitches" or "ya' know, it might be broke". Why do I postpone a trip to the ER on Saturday night, 'coz I'm afraid there might be a cast or splint involved and that might interfere with our riding plans, on Sunday?

Why do I call these guys my riding "buddies", when we take every op to stuff the other guy in a turn and send them "searching for Bigfoot" (crowding them off into the bushes or infield)....or purposely roost the guy behind us, pelting him with rocks, mud and on a really good day, large amounts of animal droppings? How can I laugh hysterically, after seein' my "buddy" violently crash his brains out (you know, after makin' sure he's relatively ok) and expect that "as a friend", he'd do the same for me?

Why would I wanna' ride with a buncha' guys that are gonna' razz me about bein' a squid, while we're waitin' for the ambulance or that will wish me a speedy recovery, you know....hopin' that I'll get back out there and do it agian, 'coz they missed seein' it the first time? How can we be buddies, when we mess with or race against each other harder than we would, with our enemies or the guy that's leadin' us in series points.....and how in the hell, can we call that "playriding"?

Why is it that I won't let my wife touch my truck but my riding buddy, whom I've probably spent the day making obscene gestures at and likely, thrown my helmet at once or twice.....well, he can lean his bike up against 'er, any freakin' time he wants? How can I be so beaten, tired and sore on Saturday night and still be so anxious to do it all again, on Sunday? Why do I so meticulously clean and prep my bike, just to blast it through mud and muck all day? Why do the comfortable hours of my life seem to drag incessantly but when I'm sweating and literally riding my a$$ off...time flies by like a cop on his way to a donut sale?

No, as I said, I have no clue as to any of it. This is probably something best left to the experts to ponder. Maybe I'll print out a copy of this and take it to the information desk, at the mall. Then again, maybe I don't wanna' know....maybe some things are best left unanswered?
Old 02-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Novice Class

Its addicting! why does a cokehead relapse? Ijust tell myself im crazy time to time. im sure their is a better philosophy to the reason.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Intermediate Class

Its all about being WFO.....
Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 PM
cha cha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide369 View Post
Its all about being WFO.....
...Up and over the big off-camera turn, only to have your so-called friends bring it up time and time again?

I ride because I do not wish to reach the end of my time here on earth only to wonder what it feels like to finally clear that double or have to say "I wish I would have". Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed. I just want to be able to say I really lived.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:01 AM
Intermediate Class

I over shot the landing yesterday, and my back is killing me. I prolapsed L4 and L5 in my back a few years ago now and casing on flat ground just does me no good. I'll be off my bike for about a fortnight (hopefully).
Will I get back on and go straight back into my form of riding with the chance of it happening again? Hell yeah I will!
If I could go back in time, would I stay home yesterday? Hell no I wouldn't!
Why do I do it? Because I have experienced riding once, and that's all it take's to be hooked.

Gotta love this sport
Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Beginner Class

I drove 40 miles to go riding today and it was pouring down rain, 25mph wind and snow on the ground and I had a blast. most "normal" people would call me insane, but the whole time I was out there I was totally at peace even when the wet slimey roots were trying to take me out. You just can't explain it.

Nate
Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Novice Class

That is so true, to me, there is just no other feeling in the world! I ride year round in the rain snow whatever. I got a Refrigiwear freezer suit from work, so I use it as my riding gear in the winter
Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Novice Class

I go riding when ever i am invited to go with my cousins. I go riding cause i forget about everything else in the world and focus on one thing. ( The huge root sticking a foot out of the ground 3 inches infront of me ). I go riding cause i get some nasty bruises and cuts and i get to brag about them to friends and family. I go riding cause I FEEL LIKE IT!!!!!!!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Specialty Riding Forums > Offroad Riding