All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Mini Dirt Bike Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 01:03 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Questions for the parents here

So Jacob is finally ready to get back into riding. He started riding around 3 1/2in the desert and he did great. Steered well and the throttle wasn't too bad because of the soft sand. When we took him to the track he seemed to floor it and that was scary so we took a small break for him to mature. He also had a surgery recently and wasn't able to get back on it for awhile. He has had the clear from the Dr. for a few months so we are ready to go now.

I won some boots on ebay this week and I am in the process of getting gear, etc. for him. I have some questions for you. He has a brand new chest protector but it is a little bit big. Is this a problem? Where do you order neck rolls and is that the best and safest for a 5 year old. I don't think they make the Leatt that small do they? Anything else we should know about safety equipment for him. Any tips from experienced parents here? JJ started later on and we mostly rode in the desert so all of these things didn't really come up as much.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:31 PM
cha cha

Default Re: Questions for the parents here

Tina,

That's awesome Jacob is ready to ride again! I really don't know on the chest protector. I wonder if it wouldn't be a case of something is better than nothing?

As for neck rolls, I think ya'll need to hop in the van and take a drive on up to Chapparral. If you didn't want to buy it there, you could at least have a look at what's available. I loved walking through that place...I'm just sorry they had to follow us around with a mop to wipe up all the drool.

Thank you come again.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:42 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Too funny Char. Yeah that would be great. I think he is going through a growth spurt so I don't think it is going to be too big for long. I am thinking it is okay. Do you attach the neck roll on the chest protector? How?

He is WAY pumped to be be getting out there. I want to take JJ and Jacob this summer while they are out of school. Becca even told me she wants to ride. We shall see on that one but maybe she will get on it someday too. She wants a PINK motorcycle of all things. like I said...we shall see on that one.

I think the hardest thing is keeping them in gear. JJ is just starting a growth spurt again and he has gone through two pairs of boots this year alone and then Jacob's boots. Holy Smokes! Looks like we should just have the paychecks made out to Chapparal.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Missing the days of riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imahoot393 View Post
She wants a PINK motorcycle of all things. like I said...we shall see on that one.
Sounds like a future Honda rider! Apparently my bike looks pink from a distance... I'm going to have to do somthing about that.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I have some input about the chest protector issue. A couple weeks ago Jude had a race and My husband left offshore with all Jude's gear in the truck!

luckily, a lady had gear to sell. The gear was for her 11-12 yr old boy, Jude is 6. The helmet was fine, but the chest protector was huge. The neck opening hung all the way down to his elbow on one side (if he let it).

I was really worried about what to do. I thought letting him wear it may interfere with him riding. Well after a few test runs, he never complained about it so I just let him wear it and I prayed!

BOY I am glad I did, check out this clip of the crash that happened. Its just like Char said, Its better than nothing at all.

Jude was the second bike down. He rolled over a rider that fell in front of him. I think he would have been injured with out the protector.

I need to look into the neck rolls my self. I just recently discovered them.

http://www.allthingsmoto.com/photopo...php/photo/9105
Old 06-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Age is a state of Mind

Yeah, don't worry about the chest protector, something is better than nothing in this case for sure.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Beginner Class

I don't think the 'roost deflector' (manufacturers avoid the word protector)help youngster much - I mean how much roost does a minibike throw up? I also find them cumbersome. It's more a case of other parents thinking I'm irresponsible if he doesn't wear it. I'm busy investigating the ice-hockey shoulder pads/protectors because I think it is of more value - I hurt my should recently and was wearing a top of the range Thor. In my earlier MX career I used to wear a Jofa ice-hockey shoulder 'protector' and believe that my injury would not have been as severe.

The EVS RC3 race collar is a very good product it also recieved an excellent rating by MXA magazine ***** stars. I've bought one and finally found a use for the roost protector - to anchor the race collar.

I would also like to mention that the lightest possible (DOT approved) helmet (that fits properly)is a must. I see some parents putting huge helmets on their kid's heads that often don't get tightened properly - you need to make sure it's tight and he can't move his head when you hold it and he tries to move his noggin...
Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I shopped at hockey shops for my son's original gear. They have things that are more adjustable. The problem is that most of what they had then wasn't all that well ventilated. They have newer stuff now that is very light and it is better ventilated.

The price on used hockey gear really beats what we pay for bike gear which is harder to find used, and is a good alternative for the growing riders. Who knows, the kid might get interested in a new sport ;-)
Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
I don't think the 'roost deflector' (manufacturers avoid the word protector)help youngster much - I mean how much roost does a minibike throw up? I also find them cumbersome. It's more a case of other parents thinking I'm irresponsible if he doesn't wear it. I'm busy investigating the ice-hockey shoulder pads/protectors because I think it is of more value - I hurt my should recently and was wearing a top of the range Thor. In my earlier MX career I used to wear a Jofa ice-hockey shoulder 'protector' and believe that my injury would not have been as severe.
Not to disagree with you, but chest protectors are good for a lot more than deflecting roost. Any time you hit your chest (handlebar end, falling on your back, etc) you are a lot better protected. Roost is not the reason I wear one, nor is it the reason my Boys wear one. And believe me, all of them are glad to wear them. One even has stories behind why he wears them.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 AM
cha cha

Interesting perspective, no doubt the hockey stuff would work well. I'd like to hear what you decide on.

That being said, I feel the same as Woody about my kids wearing theirs. It's never been to protect them from roost. I guess it's to try and help them avoid some of the lessons I learned way back when...

I crashed once without wearing mine and got all kinds of scraped up..and that was just a simple crash. I did break my collarbone once while wearing one (although I honestly believe my helmet was a contributing factor), the protector was pretty darn beat up afterwards...and my back/shoulders thanked me.

Is a chest protector the best solution? Maybe not, but I do believe it's better than nothing.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > Mini Dirt Bike Riders