All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/)
-   What Dirt Bike or ATV (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-213/)
-   -   What size bike for 7yr old and 12yr old boys first dirt bike? (http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-213/what-size-bike-7yr-old-12yr-old-boys-first-dirt-bike-62626/)

jd-gtown 12-16-2013 09:50 PM

What size bike for 7yr old and 12yr old boys first dirt bike?

Hi All - I'm hoping to get some advice to help me get my head straight. We recently moved to the country and have about 5 acres of property (some grass, some brush, some tall weeds, a fair amount of trees, etc). I wanted to get my boys some kind of dirt bikes or atv's to give us something cool to do in the yard. I'm starting to lean towards dirt bikes instead of atv's because i've read so many horror stories of atv's rolling on the kids and causing major injuries, plus since we only have a few acres I think a dirt bike would probably provide more fun in that smaller space than atv's. Anyhow, I'm having a heck of a time trying to determine what size, make/model bikes would fit the bill. My 7yr old is 4' tall and 60lb. 12yr old is 5' and a pretty thin 75lb. They've rode bicycles, but not dirt bikes before. I'd rather have something easy for them to learn and have fun in the yard on vs something thats "race ready" as I don't see that in the very near future. Also trying to find something on the lower side of cost/used, but not a chinese knock off as I'm not too savvy on engine repairs.

I was thinking something around the 50cc mark for 7yr old and 80cc for 12yr old. Assuming 4 stroke. Wondering if those would be physically too small for them though?

Thanks for the advice - JD

char393 12-16-2013 10:18 PM

Do you have a bike shop nearby? If so, take them in and have them sit on different bikes.

I like the four stroke idea. I'd have a look around for an xr70 or 80. Your oldest may fit an xr100 well. The newer models nowadays are called crf100, 70's, 80's...etc.

Good luck. Dirtscooters are a great behavioral modification tool... Seemed to work well with my kids while they were interested in riding. Don't forget to get yourself something too!

1989kawasaki 12-16-2013 10:42 PM

Get a z50 mini trail

Mainjet2001 12-23-2013 09:09 PM

Hey jd....Welcome to :atm
You already have good selections.

Like Char said have them sit on some bikes as the most important item is that they feel comfortable on the bike. This means the bike should not be to high when they are starting on it and if it does not fit right it will compromise their feeling of safety....which is very important at a young age.

All suggestions above are good and best of luck.

Keep us posted on your results. :headspin

stevo450 12-23-2013 09:28 PM

Low maintence=Honda XR's
Very reliable and a lot of fun-hey even I still ride my XR100 :)
Of corse for your 7yr old perhaps an auto clutch would be good? You can also start your 12yr old off on the same auto clutch bike then introduce the XR100 with a clutch and more gears.......
Can't remember which of the 'little' Hondas have the auto clutch tho :hmm

cowboyona426 12-24-2013 12:52 AM

For kids just learning I would lean toward 2 strokes myself. Less weight, but you also can't get them with a magic button if that is what you are after. The smaller 2 strokes are oil injected so no worries about having to mix fuel. Plus 2 strokes are just simply cool :D
I have 9 and 6 year old girls and they are riding a Yamaha PW80 and a Yamaha PW50 (respectively). The PW80 is a 3 speed with an automatic clutch and a great learning bike. If you're worried about the kiddos going to fast just put it in first gear and don't explain the shifting part until they get the hang of it. Learning to control the throttle, brakes, and steering will keep the curiosity down. The PW50 is full auto and probably the most produced, most common starter bike in the history of dirt bikes. It basically hasn't changed other than color since they started selling them in the early 80's.
The trouble with the starter bike market is the gap from the beginner bikes to the more advanced bikes. There is very little between a bike like the PW80 and the next step up without going HUGE or going to a 4 stroke. 4 strokes are great bikes but I don't like the weight for kiddos trying to learn. Compare a PW50 (2 stroke) to a TT-R50 (4 stroke) and the difference is very apparent. The older Honda XR's and the CRF's that they have morphed into are very reliable little bikes and will provide years of enjoyment though and is probably the best thing after the PW's.
Whatever you do, make sure to get a bike yourself like others have suggested so you can have fun WITH your kids and teach them as you go! A lot of my best childhood memories involve 2 wheels and family, and I'm hoping to inflict the same on my children :D

Woody_YZF 12-26-2013 09:58 AM

I just moved my 5 year old (he's 55 lbs.) to a TTR 50. He loves that thing (we had a JR50 before that). I have an 9 yr old and 11 year old that share a TTR110. It fits my 9 year old well (she's about 5 ft tall). It's getting too small for my 11 year old (she's 5' 4"), but the auto clutch has been good for them. I would get a 50 and a 110 (or a 90) myself for your size kids. On the Hondas, anything 80 and bigger have a clutch (which would probably be fine for a 12 year old). My first bike had a clutch when I was 11 and it was fine once I got used to it.

ossagp 12-26-2013 11:13 AM

[/COLOR]almost anyone that has the skills to make use of a pw80 in our crowd has the ability to ride one of the xr80's or the kx60 (both with clutches). once they learn to shift and ride at the same time the clutched bikes seem to be less intimidating. starting someone out on a clutched bike is more challenging.

when they first get on one i suggest one that is geared down low enough that it takes off on its own on hard flat ground. set the idle up so that it is hard to kill. killing one and having it die is too frustrating at first.