All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Beginner Class

Default what is a good enduro/trail bike with low maintenance?

So im looking at KTMs but with how frequent I ride its going to be expensive. I mean I ride 3x a week and sometimes up to 10 hours.

honestly for KTMs 15 hour oil changes every 2 days lol.

is there anything that offers a little more?

I do have a dual sport and they are great but heavy for technical riding. but im keeping my drz for more open / easier trails. cant really beat 2000 mile oil changes haha! well I do it every 1000

i was looking at the 2019 CRF250RX this seems to be a good enduro trail bike, but unsure of the the maintenance. I mean if I can find something 500 - 600 miles, thats perfect for me!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 AM
JOATMON

From my experience, any of the modern bikes are going to require frequent oil changes because they are high performance motors and hold very little oil. If you are really after something you can ride a ton and not worry about, find yourself an old XR250 or XR400. Heavier and maybe a little underpowered compared to something like the bike you mentioned, but reliable as a brick with very little maintenance needed.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyona426 View Post
From my experience, any of the modern bikes are going to require frequent oil changes because they are high performance motors and hold very little oil. If you are really after something you can ride a ton and not worry about, find yourself an old XR250 or XR400. Heavier and maybe a little underpowered compared to something like the bike you mentioned, but reliable as a brick with very little maintenance needed.
darn! so most things are 10 - 15 hour oil changes? or is there something out there with like 400 - 600 mile oil changes?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Low oil on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewithwill View Post
darn! so most things are 10 - 15 hour oil changes? or is there something out there with like 400 - 600 mile oil changes?
Remember that these bike only carry a small amount of oil and thus they require frequent oil changes. Also in most cases, the trans oil and the engine oil are the same and thus clutch particals get into the oil and that can damage engine parts.
So your choice may need to include a 2 stroke and or a duel purpose dual sport type bike.

Paw Paw
Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 AM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewithwill View Post
I doubt you'll find anything with a recommended service interval that long. The closest thing I could think of off hand is the old XR's but I wouldn't even run one of those out that long without an oil change. Remember you're talking less than a quart of oil in most cases.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Expert Class

If oil changes are out of your budget just wait until you have to do some real maintenance (clutch, top end rebuilds, bottom end rebuilds, etc.)! Seriously, Rotella is around $12-$14 for a gallon and most bikes take around 1qt of oil. That equates to about a $3 per oil change...
Old 12-12-2018, 01:34 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusco View Post
If oil changes are out of your budget just wait until you have to do some real maintenance (clutch, top end rebuilds, bottom end rebuilds, etc.)! Seriously, Rotella is around $12-$14 for a gallon and most bikes take around 1qt of oil. That equates to about a $3 per oil change...
so im a little new to oil changes on 2T dont know anything about them. The way im looking at this is, a 7$ 1qt bottle of oil from mobile ( i never cheap on oil)

an oil change every day for 3x a week $21 then 4 times for the month 84 a month...which actually aint too bad tbh. i thought for some reason i was hitting the 200$ range a month haha.

unless 2T are is different oil? sorry for my lack of knowledge. i just got into the 2 stroke marker. can some educate me on oil capcity, type of oil
? is it the same as say my klx250? just 1 qt of latest API SM/J etc oil?
Old 12-12-2018, 05:30 PM
Expert Class

You can run whatever oil you'd like that's approved for your bike... A lot of people on here run Rotella. Inexpensive and cheap are similar but not necessarily synonimous. I run it on every bike I've owned since around 2012. For premix, I've run Lucas semisynthetic, Maxima 927 and klotz (I forget which specific type). They've all worked well for me.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM
JOATMON

The thing to be aware of, on a 2T the oil only lubricates the bottom end, clutch and trans where as on most modern 4 strokes, that same oil gets pumped up to the head to lubricate the cam(s) and top end components and also the piston. So, if you stretch your oil change interval you are pumping dirty oil contaminated with clutch material through the rest of your engine and accelerating wear to the entire rotating assembly. There are some exceptions to this (some of the Honda 4 strokes had separate oils for transmission/clutch and top end) but you are still running a relatively tiny amount of oil through a very expensive motor. An extra oil change is a lot less expensive than a new top end!
I don't know what the recommended gear case oil is in the 2T's like the KTM, but basically any quality engine oil from a car will work fine as long as it does NOT have friction modifiers. You don't want to run any oil that says energy conserving, resource conserving etc.

This little label will be on every bottle of oil. Look at the back of the bottle of oil, if there is anything in the bottom part of that circle you should choose a different oil.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:20 AM
Expert Class

I think you can extend your oil changes if your videos are a good representation of your rides. The oil change recommendations are given to account for a more aggressive riding styles than that. Plus, as an engineer, there is a safety factor in there too. If your that concerned you can have your oil tested to see. That'll give you the best info on how long you can extend your changes. Frequent oil changes can help head problems off at the pass though. Seeing excessive sediment can alert you to impending disasters before they get expensive. In the end, no matter how much preventative maintenance we do, if it's going to break it's going to break. I'm confident that the transmissions in these modern bikes will go thousands of hours on one oil change. The crank and top end are a different story! The debris from the clutch and normal wear and tear can wreak havoc there. Those areas require a constant source of oil and sometimes have small access holes to allow this. Having those or the filter plug up will starve them of oil.

Make sure you're using the right oil too. Some have friction modifiers that aren't friendly to the clutch in a motorcycle. They're great in cars....but motorcycles are a different story.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV