All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default Should i buy this non running 09 yz450f?

Hey guys, i have been offered a 2009 yz450f for an asking price of $800.00 . I know the guy who has it. He got it in trade. He owns a auto salvage yard. I will go to see the bike this week. What ive been told is the engine will turn but it doesnt have compression. I am up for a repair job at that price . I have a garage to use and a decent amount of tools ive used working on cars (not motor rebuilds). I havent owned a dirt bike since the yz125 i had in 2003 when i raced hare scrambles. Be sides that i ride on the road with a triumph speed triple but have only done oil changes and chain maintenance on that. He claims the rest of the bike is in great shape (we'll see). If the rest of the bike checks out, what do you think ? Is there any way i can tell if it is just a top end or if ill be splitting cases to do the bottom? This is a job id be willing to do on weekends for the winter and would like to be out riding when im through, im not looking to flip the bike for any prophet just hoping to get some thing to get back in the dirt on. Any advice would be hugely appreciated ( What to check, what to expect on having to replace besides what i can inspect externally) Thanks guys!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:33 PM
ATM! Pro Class

You may be hard pressed to turn a profit on these bikes if the engine needs much work. Remember it is 10 years old and may have been neglected. With the known expected resale price of a 10 year old bike, the original purchase price and repair cost that could exceed $1500, it would be hard to show a profit. If , however you are just wanting to have a bike to fix up and use, then go for it.

Paw Paw
Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Pro Class

I flip bikes to make an extra buck and 4 strokes are always a tough call. Rebuilding the head correctly can be PRICEY and it's usually beat to put a new piston and crank in once the engine is torn down for inspection anyways. It could be anything from valve shims to a full rebuild and the cost of the latter is more than the bike would probably sell for. As Paw said... not bad for a keeper.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 AM
JOATMON

At $800 I think I might take the gamble, if the head isn't destroyed and the rest of the parts are in decent shape you could probably at least break even parting it out. If there's internal motor damage, you might be stuck with an $800 pile of parts or a hefty repair bill. It's at least worth looking at, try turning the motor over several times and listen carefully for any odd sounds and if for some reason it stops turning over you'll know you're looking at bigger problems.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 AM
will fall over

Well?

Maybe it has no compression because it had a hard time starting due to varnished fuel and the po took out the spark plug because that’s all he knew and went to buy a new spark plug and on the way to the motorcycle store he got hit by a train and then his family traded it to the salvage guy whos in the business of crushing not fixing, so there it sits without a spark plug and will be a great running bike for about $809.

...or po sat at the bottom of a hill he couldn’t make it up despite repeated attempts and boiled that ho (it’s easy to do) and melted the piston and it will be a great running bike for about $1,809.

Either way I’d pass for a keeper cause I had an ‘09 YZ450F and I didn’t care for it at all. Great motor but didn’t like to turn. It will not remind you of your 125 at all, like a new neighbor who seems ok at first and then irritates the heck out of you every time you see him.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 AM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1128 View Post
Hey guys, i have been offered a 2009 yz450f for an asking price of $800.00 . I know the guy who has it. He got it in trade. He owns a auto salvage yard. I will go to see the bike this week. What ive been told is the engine will turn but it doesnt have compression. I am up for a repair job at that price . I have a garage to use and a decent amount of tools ive used working on cars (not motor rebuilds). I havent owned a dirt bike since the yz125 i had in 2003 when i raced hare scrambles. Be sides that i ride on the road with a triumph speed triple but have only done oil changes and chain maintenance on that. He claims the rest of the bike is in great shape (we'll see). If the rest of the bike checks out, what do you think ? Is there any way i can tell if it is just a top end or if ill be splitting cases to do the bottom? This is a job id be willing to do on weekends for the winter and would like to be out riding when im through, im not looking to flip the bike for any prophet just hoping to get some thing to get back in the dirt on. Any advice would be hugely appreciated ( What to check, what to expect on having to replace besides what i can inspect externally) Thanks guys!
i think that is good idea, to buy it
Old 04-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Beginner Class

I’d check it out at the least because on the off chance the PS doesn’t know how to maintain a bike it could be something simple like a top end.. if the crank is damaged or main bearings or anything like that I’d back out. You’ll know once you go see it. Don’t be afraid to back out on a deal your just “checking it out” ya know?

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV