All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Intermediate Class

Default I'm getting a blaster any things i should know?

Hi guys i'm getting a 1998 yamaha blaster and i'm just wondering if there is anything i should really know. i know that the suspension and rear brakes are supposed to be crappy. but is there anything else i should know? also i was wondering wat i should get for it when i decide to upgrade. if it helps any i will be riding trails that are often soaked in mud. any help will be appreciated im just a begginner

thanks,
david
Old 04-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterdude14 View Post
Hi guys i'm getting a 1998 yamaha blaster and i'm just wondering if there is anything i should really know
Yep, it's got too many wheels.

That's about all I know about r wheelers. We had a 90 a couple years ago and it was a blast to rip round the property on.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Expert Class

If it's running the stock "ballon" type rear tires you should replace those with some good trail/mx tires as soon as you can. The stock ones make the quad a bit tipsy. Also, watch for signs of air leaks around the airbox/intake (erratic revving, etc) seems they're prone to leak around that area as I recall.

Make sure you're a-arms bushings are tight and lubed as they will wear.

Do you know when the top end was last rebuilt (piston/rings, etc)? You want to keep the top end fresh (compression to spec).

Basically, keep it cleaned and maintained (get a manual if you don't have one) and it'll be good, otherwise you'll have trouble.

As far as what you can get for it really depends on it's condition. Top dollar for a Blaster of that year in good maintained condition I would guess to be in the $900 to $1200 range.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if you want to upgrade the suspension cheaply do some research on putting Banshee shocks up front and a Z400 or 400EX shock in the rear. My bro did that to his when he had it way back and it improved dramatically.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_CR View Post
If it's running the stock "ballon" type rear tires you should replace those with some good trail/mx tires as soon as you can. The stock ones make the quad a bit tipsy. Also, watch for signs of air leaks around the airbox/intake (erratic revving, etc) seems they're prone to leak around that area as I recall.

Make sure you're a-arms bushings are tight and lubed as they will wear.

Do you know when the top end was last rebuilt (piston/rings, etc)? You want to keep the top end fresh (compression to spec).

Basically, keep it cleaned and maintained (get a manual if you don't have one) and it'll be good, otherwise you'll have trouble.

As far as what you can get for it really depends on it's condition. Top dollar for a Blaster of that year in good maintained condition I would guess to be in the $900 to $1200 range.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if you want to upgrade the suspension cheaply do some research on putting Banshee shocks up front and a Z400 or 400EX shock in the rear. My bro did that to his when he had it way back and it improved dramatically.
thanks man do u know where i can find those shocks besides ebay?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Novice Class

Hey theres a place right in ohio. It's called Cycles R Us (330) 769-2629. Huge inventory of atv parts. All makes and models. It looks like they have hundreds and hundreds of bikes also. Big bone yard! Good luck with that
Old 04-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Anything you should know?

Yes.

After exactly four rides, you will wish it had:
1) a longer wheelbase
2) more power

If you are a two stroke fan, the Banshee is the answer.

If you are open to four strokes, there are a bazillion quads that will answer the power and wheelbase issue.

Myself: after riding various sport quads over the years... I have two favorites:

1) the Banshee
2) the 400 Suzuki/Kawasaki/Arctic (all essentially the same machine)

c
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillridin View Post
Hey theres a place right in ohio. It's called Cycles R Us (330) 769-2629. Huge inventory of atv parts. All makes and models. It looks like they have hundreds and hundreds of bikes also. Big bone yard! Good luck with that
thanks i'll check it out when i get the blaster
Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Yes.

After exactly four rides, you will wish it had:
1) a longer wheelbase
2) more power

If you are a two stroke fan, the Banshee is the answer.

If you are open to four strokes, there are a bazillion quads that will answer the power and wheelbase issue.

Myself: after riding various sport quads over the years... I have two favorites:

1) the Banshee
2) the 400 Suzuki/Kawasaki/Arctic (all essentially the same machine)

c
well i can make the wheelbase better with a new axle and a-arms and i can increase the power with a big bore kit and a pipe and arent most 2 strokes more powerful. and i dont have the money for a banshee
Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Novice Class

the blaster is a great quad! parts are very inexpensive to get, and doing maintenance on them is a breeze

some great sites for after market parts:
Factory Seven ATV - Online Store
Project Blaster - Online Store
http://www.lsracing.com/yamaha-blaster.htm

If your looking to widen the rear, look into the G-Force axle it adjustable to i believe +2 and +4 and its very durable
G-Force Adjustable Width Racing Axle | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

And as Kev CR said, ditch the bubble stock tires, they SUCK
I HIGHLY recommend Kenda Klaw XC tires, they lasted me hundreds of hours of abusive trail riding and also proved to do well in the sand, great all around tire, just make sure to get the 6ply!

Kenda Klaw XC | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Novice Class

also for some great blaster info and a great bunch of helpful people

join over at BlasterForum.com
Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Novice Class

just thought ide drop a pic of my old blaster after many hours of modding and a lot of love lol

i do miss her...

hope all goes well with ur blasty!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan151 View Post
the blaster is a great quad! parts are very inexpensive to get, and doing maintenance on them is a breeze

some great sites for after market parts:
Factory Seven ATV - Online Store
Project Blaster - Online Store
yamaha atv yamaha blaster ATV Parts and Accessories | Lonestar Racing

If your looking to widen the rear, look into the G-Force axle it adjustable to i believe +2 and +4 and its very durable
G-Force Adjustable Width Racing Axle | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

And as Kev CR said, ditch the bubble stock tires, they SUCK
I HIGHLY recommend Kenda Klaw XC tires, they lasted me hundreds of hours of abusive trail riding and also proved to do well in the sand, great all around tire, just make sure to get the 6ply!

Kenda Klaw XC | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
k thanks man ill be sure to check out that blasterforum site and that blaster pic of yours is awesome

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV