All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Beginner Class

Default bike for my son

Took me a bit of time to find a site dedicated to trail/dirt bike riding. The reason why I registered is because I been out of dirt biking for a number of years but in my younger days my Pop got me a Suzuki (something 50cc) and then a Yamaha 125cc or so Trail Bike. This was a good 30 years ago and I now have a Harley Street Bob

My boy likes riding on my Harley and inquired about getting him a dirt bike. Hence my search...found a KDX85 that someone wants for $500. Since its hard to compare bikes especially something that is several years old I am wanting to know if this is a good deal? Pic shows it to be in good shape. My boy is 9 years old and has never riden and this bike has a clutch etc and two stroke which hauls *** according to the owner

Am I going overboard with a bike of this size. The problem is buying a new bike is going to be something like $1500 to $2000 and I thought maybe used market is the way to go since kids grow up fast.

Has anyone known of a 9 year old boy learnign to ride dirt bikes with a clutch first? Is this too much to ask for something like this? We will go look at bike tomorrow so we will see how tall the bike is etc.

Another question I am concerned about. Since its a 2 stroke bike obviously gas and oil needs to be mixed. I've seen 2 stroke chain saws scored because someone screwed up with the oil mix in gas. Obviously the bike if it runs then should be ok but should I be concerned about abusing these type of bikes? Would there be parts availability if I have problems eventually?

Any input on this would be greatful. As you probably know...not easy to find used bikes that I am looking for so this bike may be my only choice. But if boy cannot "toe" the ground or flat foot this may be out.

Thanks for input you all throw my way...and BTW I read the post about one father buying too much bike for his son and I am hoping to avoid that...
Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Expert Class

Is it a KX85 or a KDX80? I don't think there is a KDX85. If it's a KDX he should be fine, because even though they are a 2T they are a trail bike. If it's a KX motocrosser it could very well be too much for him to handle. Depends a lot on how big he is! As far as mixing gas, ect. I can't see what could damage an engine except cold pinning or forgetting to mix oil in. Parts should be available on Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay,http://www.bikebandit.com/kawasaki-o...ffroadKawasaki http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/KAWASAKI or maybe craigslist. Have fun
Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Beginner Class

sorry...I goofed. It is a KD80X. This KD80X has the two stroke so should be able to haul pretty good although not like those KX's.

I stopped at a dealer and the guy told me the KX are really powerful bikes and typically not suited for first timers.

So it looked like the KD80X may be a good bike for my boy's first bike. Hard to find any prices on them anywhere which initially concerned me. What would one in the late 80's be worth? This one is an 1989 and looked to be in good shape.

Saw on CL a a 2005 Kaw KX65 with the guy asking $1,110 and I know these are not the same bike so hard to compare.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluridge View Post
sorry...I goofed. It is a KD80X. This KD80X has the two stroke so should be able to haul pretty good although not like those KX's.

I stopped at a dealer and the guy told me the KX are really powerful bikes and typically not suited for first timers.

So it looked like the KD80X may be a good bike for my boy's first bike. Hard to find any prices on them anywhere which initially concerned me. What would one in the late 80's be worth? This one is an 1989 and looked to be in good shape.

Saw on CL a a 2005 Kaw KX65 with the guy asking $1,110 and I know these are not the same bike so hard to compare.
i wouldn't go with a 1989 kd80 due to parts availability . alot of parts are no longer being made
Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Expert Class

Right here:Dirt Bike Parts & Accessories, Motocross (MX) Parts & Gear | MotoSport That's a OEM page for a 1989 KD80X. After I look at some pics I think that's a cute little bike! I sure think a 9 yr old could easily handle it. This is what it looks like:http://www.cyclechaos.com/images/thu...een-7310-0.jpg right? According to what I see on Classified ads - Yakaz $500 is a good price. I would sure go for it
Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 PM
ATM! Addict

I think he will outgrow anything with minibike wheels pretty quickly, if you have someone following him on the short side it will be a pretty good pass along bike though. i would just as soon probably see him on a pw80 if he was mine and just learning, as they are very easy to sell in six months.

if you can find a clean example of a kdx80 I would say go for that instead. DS 80's are great too and cheap usually. the other two I would steer you to are honda xr80's and xr100's. the newer ones call them selves crf's but are pretty much the same as the xr versions.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Beginner Class

Yamaha...what is a 2T you are saying?

I think I saw a PW80 on my local CL ansd they wanted $850 and its a 2005 model. Will have to go check if this is the correct model.

Oh crap...too much choice nd the like.

Do you guys think a 2 stroke is a good bike for a 9 year old...saw someone mention a Flywheel weight to cut down on the power until they get a handle on the bike. Would this Flywheel weight be available for all models or only for Kawaasaki?

Anyone know where there is a forum dedicated to NO VA dirt bike sales? May even check dealers but can usually get bikes from private parties cheaper.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Expert Class

Quote:
Yamaha...what is a 2T you are saying?
2T is short for 2-stroke. 4 stroke; 4T, 2 stroke; 2T. Flywheel weights should be available for all brands.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:48 PM
ATM! Addict

850 sounds high for here, I would keep looking. a pw80 is a very hard bike to hurt. if it looks good, it likely is good in other words. they do resell at a good price everywhere. fyi that is more like the price of a 5 year old xr100 up here.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Beginner Class

here is the update. the KD80X was kinda small for my boy. I wanted to get something that was a little bigger for him. The guy had a XR70 if I remember correctly...it definitely had a 70 in the plastic but not sure if it was XR too. My boy can almost flat foot the ground but it was a 4 stroke. Guy gave him a ride on it with my son in front ansd explained the clutch and gas grip and gear shifting.

Guy said if it was him...he would start my boy out on a clutch and that I could ride behind and on the bike with my son as I demoed to him and that he would prolly pick up fast but I would still need to monitor my son's training for a while.

Oh yeah the guy said Hondas are good bike but seem if you store it for a long time like through the winter...it does not start up well and you have to clean the carb. But his Kawi KD80X starts right up after long storage.

So I am on my quest to find a XR80 or CRF80 or even a XR70 bike and see how it feels for my boy. Whats the difference between a CRF and XR? And does Honda make any 2 stroke bikes...I want something that is easy to fix and cheap because someone said the 4 strokes cost more for repair.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV