All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Expert Class

Yeah the XR is the 4T. The RT100 has a foot clutch and hand brakes, but the XR has a manual clutch. Info on the RT here: Yamaha RT100 Specs | eHow.com and XR here: Specifications for the Honda XR100 | eHow.com The XR80 has a seat height of 28.6 inches, the XR100 30.5 and and the RT100 is 28.7. So, if he fits on an XR80 he should fit on an RT100, but possibly be too small for a XR100.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:21 AM
ATM! Addict

FOOT CLUTCH??? Haven't seen one in a long time. i do miss my cushman!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaRT View Post
I'm not gonna argue anymore Lesson learnt. I would get a 2T. Don't get me wrong, I own a 4T also. But, an average 2T engine has 600 moving parts, whereas a similar sized 4T engine has 4,400 moving parts (if I remember right). 2T's are a lot lot lot simpler to work on. Also lighter. But do whatever I would go XR100 or RT100. Both real good, but one is a 2T and the other is a 4T. Kdx 85 - Yakaz Motorcycles Kdx 85 - Yakaz Motorcycles Kdx 85 - Yakaz Motorcycles Kdx 85 - Yakaz Motorcycles P.S. the links all say the same thing but they're not Kawas.
Yep can't argue 2T are much simpler
Guess that if cheap maintenance is important then yea 2T awesome cheap as to fix
I'm no 2T expert tho as I'm yet to own my own 2T I do rebuild my cousins rm's and Yz. So if 2T the go then I'll leave those more informed about them to advise a bike
Old 09-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Intermediate Class

not sure what pm means but i'm in Pa zip is 17519 you can map it to see how far you acctually are the pw is my pop inlaws bike but we have no use for it anymore it's just collecting dust i'm sure he won't mind getting rid of it or if you wanna go with the yz, as long as he can get use to the clutch he should be fine my, son rode the pw til he was 10 then we got him rm85 was too much for him at first then he was fine and that got stolen so i got him the yz80 which was nice but slightly slower then the rm so i found rm85 for him and selling the other he still can't touch the grouund with both feet but when he get's on he goes lol

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossagp View Post
I think he will outgrow anything with minibike wheels pretty quickly, if you have someone following him on the short side it will be a pretty good pass along bike though. i would just as soon probably see him on a pw80 if he was mine and just learning, as they are very easy to sell in six months.

if you can find a clean example of a kdx80 I would say go for that instead. DS 80's are great too and cheap usually. the other two I would steer you to are honda xr80's and xr100's. the newer ones call them selves crf's but are pretty much the same as the xr versions.
yea pw sells easy they get passed on pretty quick too cause it dont take long to learn
Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM
ATM! Addict

the pw 50's and 80's i have been around the most have been passed on a bunch. great bikes if you plan on having more kids.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Intermediate Class

My first bike was a 1985 kdx 80 and the thing was a blast. Not really fast but my buddies kx 100 wouldn't beat me by much. I think it's best to start out on a bike with a clutch so you do not have to re-teach yourself how to shift once you get a bike with a clutch. He will have to learn sometime anyhow. I was scared of the bike for like a week and then I was fine with the power and shifting(My first clutch experience). I would go for it. I never had a problem with the motor either.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

And I forgot to mention, the seat height is shorter on the kdx also.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Beginner Class

just ride it- a pm is a personal message...like you get in your inbox on this site etc. I just sent you a pm...asking you to send me pics to my email addy. you stated you have a yz80 and a pw...send me pics of those. Reading is not really that far but probably less than 3 hr drive one way. I need to go look up the yz80 and see the specs on this bike.

CAT...my first indication is probably to buy a bike with a clutch...like you said they will eventually have to learn anyway. but with an auto clutch my wife and daughter can learn too so all family will be riding etc. I really prefer to get a clutch bike as I think my boy will pick up fast. If I had to give up something it would be a 2T but again I prefer a 2T. And I prefer a bike slightly bigger for my boy such that he toes the ground when stopped.

I've replied to many ADs and not received any replies except for one dealer in Baltimore that has a CRF80 or something. Would not rather buy from dealers but I may have to cuz no one is replying to their damn ADs...lol.

Those that bought from dealers...are they competitive in price or do they sell for alot more than private sellers? I think I can get a bike frim private sellers for like $400 cheaper for the same model. Do you guys make offers to dealers for bikes that are competitive and they are willing to negotiate?
Old 07-08-2020, 03:10 PM
Beginner Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluridge View Post
Took me a bit of time to find a site dedicated to trail/dirt bike riding. The reason why I registered is because I been out of dirt biking for a number of years but in my younger days my Pop got me a Suzuki (something 50cc) and then a Yamaha 125cc or so Trail Bike. This was a good 30 years ago and I now have a Harley Street Bob

My boy likes riding on my Harley and inquired about getting him a dirt bike. Hence my search...found a KDX85 that someone wants for $500. Since its hard to compare bikes especially something that is several years old I am wanting to know if this is a good deal? Pic shows it to be in good shape. My boy is 9 years old and has never riden and this bike has a clutch etc and two stroke which hauls *** according to the owner

Am I going overboard with a bike of this size. The problem is buying a new bike is going to be something like $1500 to $2000 and I thought maybe used market is the way to go since kids grow up fast.

Has anyone known of a 9 year old boy learnign to ride dirt bikes with a clutch first? Is this too much to ask for something like this? We will go look at bike tomorrow so we will see how tall the bike is etc.

Another question I am concerned about. Since its a 2 stroke bike obviously gas and oil needs to be mixed. I've seen 2 stroke chain saws scored because someone screwed up with the oil mix in gas. Obviously the bike if it runs then should be ok but should I be concerned about abusing these type of bikes? Would there be parts availability if I have problems eventually?

Any input on this would be greatful. As you probably know...not easy to find used bikes that I am looking for so this bike may be my only choice. But if boy cannot "toe" the ground or flat foot this may be out.

Thanks for input you all throw my way...and BTW I read the post about one father buying too much bike for his son and I am hoping to avoid that...
Hi there, I'm in a similar situation and have been looking at a few guides too.
I'm looking to get my nephew a Yamaha TTR-50 as there's been a few second hand in my area and it's auto which makes throttle control easy for him to pick up(he's a newbie)

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV