All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Default 2005 YZ450F Ride Report & Some Pics from the adventure

Today, mxerhale and I met at one of our local tracks (Tooele, UT), for some riding and I got to ride his bike ('05 YZ450F) back to back with mine ('03 CRF450).

To start, let me just give you my general thought on the bike.

1) No valve problems
2) 4 speed
3) Power/engine
4) Suspension
5) Ergo's
6) Woody_CRF's new bike in '06=YZ450F

I think you can already see where this is going.

Starting
Not an issue at all. Started first kick, and was as easy as my CRF.

Tranny
Oh man, I LOVE the 4 speed. After riding the YZF and then getting back on my bike, I could tell right away that the 4 speed is THE WAY TO GO. I really liked mxerhale's 450sx that I rode last year (4 speed as well). However, with the engine package, mated to the 4 speed it was just awesome.

I also found something very peculiar (sp?) about this 4 speed. Jumps that I was not completely clearing on my CRF, I all the sudden was on the YZF. I've thought about this and think it's because I've trained myself to twist the throttle a certain distance, and hit it. With the YZF, I was doing the same, but it was faster in the same gear... I'm not completely sure why this is the case to be honest, I only know I was downsiding stuff that I was not on my CRF. Again, 4 speeds are AWESOME! I really think Honda is at a disadvantage here -- at least on an MX track anyway, which is all I ride.

Engine
Oh baby. I didn't feel like it was any faster then my CRF, but you have to remember that it has 4 gears, so it should actually rev slower, since the gears are longer. This is not the case at all.

I've not ridden a previous year YZF, so I have no idea what everyone refers to when they say it has a "kick" to it, as the motor for '05 doesn't have one at all that I could tell. Nothing different then my CRF. Very linear, and FAST! BUT, mxerhale gave it to a guy on a CRF450 on a straight, so it probably is faster, it just didn't necessarily feel faster to me.

However, the bike has some very good low end torque. I was actually able to almost crawl around a very tight hair pin turn in 2nd and roll on the throttle, and she acted like it was in 1st. Very impressive Motor, with the added benefit of NO VALVE PROBLEMS!!!

Suspension
The new KYB twin chambers are really nice in stock form. mxerhale did adjust the clickers to his liking, but they worked great for me. I could not tell very much difference (if any) between my revalved/resprung pro-action suspension and his... They are that good. Some guys have complained about them feeling stiff. When i rode them, they were not at all. mxerhale did mention that initially they were pretty stiff, but after about 5 hours of seat time, they have loosened up. I thoght they were great when I rode it.

Some other interesting notes. Externally from a distance, I don't think they look quite as sharp as the showa's (I'm talking forks now). However, when you take a closer look, they have some very nice changes that IMOP are better then the showa's.

The roost deflector over the fork shafts really wraps around the shaft providing great protection. They look kind of goofy, but functionally, they are better IMOP.

On the Showa's their is an aluminum ring that protects forks from the roost guard. On the KYB's they have this same thing, however, it has (I'm going to guess that's what it is) a nylon ring on the top and botton of the aluminum ring, which I'm sure will help it last longer

The compression and rebound adjusters are now like the showa's (comp on top, rebound on bottom).

The cap on the top of the forks is also Aluminum vs the soft brass stuff on the showa's. This component looked pretty cool too.

They are also 48mm vs 47mm on the showa's.

Ergo's
My only complaint, and it's a weak one, is that I needed taller bars, but we all know that's rider pref Period, and most of us go buy different bars anyway.

It is no thinner feeling then the honda (feels about the same actually, so I'd guess the '05 CRF would feel thinner with the new 4th gen frame).

Seat - hot dang this thing is nice. The gripper is sweet. it grips well. The sides are really ... I'd almost say sticky. When you grip the bike with your knee's, it doesn't move. Very nice. The seat is also really flat, and goes a LOOOOONG way forward. You can get so far forward on this thing, that you could rack your goods on the gas cap pretty easily, although I didn't, and don't see it being a problem, as I loved how easy it was to move around.

Brakes
No better or worse then the Honda's. The reach on mxerhale's was farther then mine, but I actually liked it. You could however, adjust either of them to your liking, so no biggie their.

The CR style routing seemed to really make a big difference, since all other YZ's I've ridden has pretty crappy brakes. Not the case for '05.

Misc
Some really cool stuff I liked about the bike.

The engine is really easy to get to.
The carb is easier to get to.
It comes STOCK with engine guards/skid plate
The rear brake is already wired to the case so it won't snag on anything
Footpegs - Ti mmmmm, they worked well too. mxerhale said they are also tilted inward (which I didn't notice when riding) which according to him is to help you hang on better with your knee's. I did hang on well with my knee's on his bike, but probably the combination of footpegs and sweet gripper seat made it pretty nice.

Some things I didn't care for (very short list)

If you get back at all on the seat, it seems to have a pretty thin amount of foam. When cornering, I would hang my cheek off the edge and I could feel something other then foam, I do not feel this on my honda. mxerhale gave me crap about it, asking how far back I was sitting, and told me not to sit that far back. To that I say Bottom line, their's not much foam in the back of the seat.
stock chain - wow, seriously a rubber band. mxerhale has already adjusted it 5 (maybe it's 4) times in 3 rides. Get a new chain ASAP is you buy one of these. But this is pretty much the case with all bikes, so no biggie at all.
Oil - I personally like the split engine and tranny cases on the honda. Yami doesn't have this and I wish they did.

Final analysis - I wouldn't think twice about buying one. Great bike indeed. Hopefully, at some point I can ride an '05 CRF450 and YZ450F back to back and see what I think.

All in all, don't be surprised if I own a YZ450F come '06. -- Not sure what I'll do about my user name Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Default Re: 2005 YZ450F Ride Report & Some Pics from the adventure

Some pics of the bike in action - mxerhale is the pilot, and yes, he can fly.

Old 10-03-2004, 04:28 AM
ATM Contributor!

Awesome write-up and review Jonathan!!

They sound very impressive this year!!
Glad you like it and maybe coming over to blue!!
Old 10-03-2004, 07:46 AM
ATM! Addict

Awesome write up Woody!

I am gunning for an 06 YZF myself and hope they have the new frame by then. My 426 will make it another season but then it will be time for a major rebuild. Hopefully I can avoid that and get the 06.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:20 AM
ATM Contributor!

Good to see that you have finally seen the light there woody.

Awesome write up Woody, excellent report on the new machine. I am with satch, I will get a new one probably in 06.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Pro Class

Sweet write up. I think you could pass as a magazine test rider...

And all of y'all are still making me want a thumper even more... haha someday I will be crossing over.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Expert Class

how come the rear fender on the yamahas still curve downward quite a bit? i sorta hate that. but really...if that's my only gripe about yamahas then that is a pretty weak argument.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:54 AM
cha cha

Nice write up Woody!

If I was shopping for a new bike, that would definitely have me looking at the Yamaha.

Great pics too!
Old 10-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Intermediate Class

Okay now it's my turn to speak my opinion. I have ridden Woody's bike and 2 other CRFs in the past year, so I have quite a bit of time on that bike.
Engine: The Honda and Yamaha are real close in power, like for the first 2 laps I could hardly tell a difference but as the laps went on I got more comfy and started noticing things. Mostly, the Yamaha just seems to have more torque from the very bottom to the middle and then they are identical feeling. With the Yamaha (as was noted by Woody) when you come out of a turn even if the motor is idling through it if you just roll on the throttle it just picks up and goes in a super smooth fashion. No hit whatsoever, it's possibly even smoother than my old KTM (which I thought had the smoothest, almost diesel like, power I had ever ridden), but it has more power. I've said in the past that I thought the Hondas had a zingier, almost 2 stroke like, bottom end when I compared them to my KTM and I still maintain that feeling with the Yamaha. It will almost sound like a contradiction but part of the Yami's appeal is that it has a faster turnover (picks up the revs a little quicker) than either the Honda or KTM even though the Honda has that zingy feeling bottom end.
4 speed: Woody took most of my comments (we spoke at length at the track about it, again) but I'll put some more in. I have to shift alot more on the Honda than the Yami or my old KTM and to me thats one of the big advantages of the four strokes (not shifting so much). If I hit jumps in second gear on the Honda like on the Yami and KTM then it seems like I'm screaming it's guts out (but I never hit the rev limiter on any of the bikes) so I end up shifting into third for a jump and back into second for the turn following it instead of just staying in one gear.
Ergos: As soon as I sat on my Yami at the dealer I smiled at the flat, long, firm seat. Don't listen to Woody about not enough foam, I think he must have a sensitive derrier because I never noticed a thing (and these things aren't built for comfort, just speed). The feel between your knees is almost identical (the KTM is way slimmer in the middle than either of the others) on the Yami and Honda. The gripper seat on the Yami is awesome, it's rubbery and sticky so that when you unleash that monster motor you don't slide off the back, Woody's seat didn't have the same hold and I noticed it right off the bat. Bars are personal, Woody like to run his buckhorn style with his levers real low and I like my bars just a tad up past center and levers not quite leveled.
Suspension: I haven't (and neither did Woody even though he out weighs me by a little) bottomed out the front end yet, which was definitely a problem on my old 426 and occasionally on my KTM. They seem really plush over the smaller stuff, my KTM was pretty harsh over smaller stutter type bumps and I can't say Woody's was bad considering the aforementioned weight difference. The rear shock on the Yami only has one fault and that is it seems to kick a little, but I'm still messing with settings on it, overall I'd say it's very good.
Brakes: Almost identical, although the reach adjuster on the Yami has a mile of adjustment in it. In the past on previous bikes I had to modify them to get the reach out where I like it.
Bad things: The only complaint about the Yami is the cheap chain, man can that thing stretch!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:25 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Woody, I am glad to hear that you liked the YZF. Hope you get an 06
Old 10-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Age is a state of Mind

LOL, thanks everyone. It's a great bike. And I can't wait to go ridding with mxerhale again so I can tell him again that the back of the seat doesn't have any foam

Seriously though, it is a very nice bike.

I didn't even get into maintenance stuff either. Meaning what I've had to fix because it wore out.

Hey Motoman, we should do a comparison on the stuff we've had to replace because it stopped working as it should (not counting stuff we broke, but wear items).
Old 10-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Pro Class

Woody,

Without a doubt the best write up / review of a 05 model bike to date ATM and TT included. I don't know what happened to the got some new stuff and giving a detailed report but you definatly raised the bar with yours
Old 10-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro Class

Woody and MXH, thanks for the write-up . . . I was waiting to see this comparison.

Just some quick questions:

1. MXH, why Yamaha over the KTM? Just curious . . . .

2. Woody, how was seat height compared to your CRF? Think of the smaller stature people out there--like Carmichael.

3. Does the YZF have a top-heavy feeling that most people do not find in the CRF et al.?

4. 06 will likely debut the aluminum frame. Woody, what about your "first year rule?" Since it is out on the two-strokes this year, are you considering 05 "first year?" Similarly, do either of you notice any significant difference between the aluminum CRF frame vs. the Yamaha's? You do not have to be a pro to detect stiffness or flex.

5. This last question seems trivial, but it still matters to me. Did Yamaha's new plastic formula actually solve the ratty look that comes with a little riding (as well as the white streaks)? (So far KTM's seem to hold a nice crisp look the best of any bike I have seen).

Thanks again for the write-up. It sounds like Yamaha is going to force Honda to take care of business--which is always good for the consumer!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:38 PM
JOATMON

Damn you Jonathan, now you've got me wanting a new bike again! : I want to have a 450 by 06 come hell or high water, hopefully I can make it work
Old 10-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Intermediate Class

First I'd like to say (especially to Bates) I forgot :Yami=no valve problems. Dcox, I was getting around to PMing you the link but I guess I was too slow. Well, back to the questions, I bought the Yamaha over the KTM because... I promised myself and my sponsor that this year I was buying a bike strictly based on price (and that all came about after I rode Woody's CRF) and I got the Yami for $200 less than the KTM. I couldn't really feel the top heavy thing and I actually consciously paid attention to that when I swapped rides. And lastly I'm unable to tell you how the new plastic holds up to crashes because I really try not to do that stuff, and I'm still on light knee duty technically.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro Class

Great write up Woody! I totally agree with everything you said! The only problem i have though with the 05 compared to the 03 is that i can't hold on to the 05. It has amazing power compared to the 03!
Old 10-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Pro Class

Interesting observation Huff. Can you elaborate? My understanding--not firsthand mind you--was that the 03 had a huge "hit" that has progressively been mellowed (for lack of a better term).

Are your comments pointing out that even in the absence of that hit, the 05 has more power than your 03?

I am going to wait a while to gather more information, but this Yamaha is becoming more and more attractive.

Of course, I am still curious about seat height as I fall in the 5' 7" range . . . .

Also, Woody, if the CRF 450 did not have ANY valve issues, would your subjective impressions of the Yamaha still seriously lean you away from the CRF?

Quote:
Originally posted by huffdaddy70
Great write up Woody! I totally agree with everything you said! The only problem i have though with the 05 compared to the 03 is that i can't hold on to the 05. It has amazing power compared to the 03!

Last edited by DCox; 10-03-2004 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:21 AM
Age is a state of Mind

Quote:
Originally posted by DCox
Woody and MXH, thanks for the write-up . . . I was waiting to see this comparison.

Just some quick questions:

1. MXH, why Yamaha over the KTM? Just curious . . . .

2. Woody, how was seat height compared to your CRF? Think of the smaller stature people out there--like Carmichael.

3. Does the YZF have a top-heavy feeling that most people do not find in the CRF et al.?

4. 06 will likely debut the aluminum frame. Woody, what about your "first year rule?" Since it is out on the two-strokes this year, are you considering 05 "first year?" Similarly, do either of you notice any significant difference between the aluminum CRF frame vs. the Yamaha's? You do not have to be a pro to detect stiffness or flex.

5. This last question seems trivial, but it still matters to me. Did Yamaha's new plastic formula actually solve the ratty look that comes with a little riding (as well as the white streaks)? (So far KTM's seem to hold a nice crisp look the best of any bike I have seen).

Thanks again for the write-up. It sounds like Yamaha is going to force Honda to take care of business--which is always good for the consumer!
Answers to the ones directed at me:

2) I didn't notice a difference in seat height to be honest?? I might be a half inch shorter??? Honestly, I didn't pay attention to that, so I can't say.

3) If it does have a top heavy feeling, I completely missed it. Again, I didn't pay much attention to it either, but I didn't notice it either. It certainly does or should have more mass on the top end, because of the dual over head cam's, and the size of the head is probably an inch thicker, but again, I didn't notice anything different. It would seem to me that you would notice it in corners, but the stock rear tire likes to really slide, so I didn't take corners quite as fast as I would have normally, just because I hate to wreck, and I'd hate to be the first person to lay mxerhale's bike over. So again, I'm would think it is more top heavy on the engine, but by how much, I don't know, nor did I notice it. On future rides, I'll have to pay more attention since I was really enamored (sp?) with the 4 speed/power/suspension that I paid more attention to those things.

4) Yeah, I would consider the yami for '06 to be a 2nd year frame. If they hadn't put it on the 250, I would be a little leary, but since they did, I will, and the 250 is the most 4 stroke feeling 2 stroke (besides your 300) I've ever ridden.

As for flex... I honestly couldn't tell. I hit some jumps that I didn't quite clear and the Yami felt a little better in some spots, and about the same in others. You also have to remember, my bike is setup the way I like it. This Yami wasn't, but for 100% stock it was SWEET!!!

One complaint that I forgot to mention, and this just may be the difference in my PT's vs the conventional renthals, or it could be the rubber mounted bars on the honda vs non-rubber mounted on the Yami??? but I could feel more vibration feed back on the yami. However, it wasn't bad at all. I could just feel more of it. For me, I'd probably go with some rubber mounted Pro-taper clamps and bars when I get mine, so no biggie IMOP.

5) He's not laid it over yet, so the plastic still looked brand new.

---------------------

One thing I didn't mention was turning -- the reason I didn't was because I didn't think it was fair. My bike has an S-12 on it and hooks up really well at the track we were on, his has some POS that loves to slide, but the Yami tracked well, and cornered fine too. I wouldn't say it was stellar, but it was not worse then my CRF.

Appearently, the '05 CRF's turn really well. I don't know though, since I've not ridden one.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Age is a state of Mind

I'm glad everyone's appreciated the write up. It does take some time, but my hope is to always give an honest review and try and make it as real world/real average rider level type review. I know I have always appreciated them in the past, so I thought I'd return the favor.

DCox, as for seat height - the only thing I can say is according to Yami's web site the seat is 39.2" vs Honda's web site which says 37.6". I'm not short though, so I didn't notice it being taller or shorter. I wasn't paying attention to that either since I don't fall in that category.

If the Honda had no valve issues... hmmm.. boy that's tough. I still think I would go Yamaha, based solely on the tranny. Seriously, the 4 speed is that much better IMOP. You have to remember though, I only ride MX, and the 4 speed is at home there, and the engine has enough balls to really make it shine. I have no idea how it would be on the trails or in the desert.

However, if Honda's had no valve issues, and had a 4 speed gear box, I'd have a hell of a time. I'm even going to have a tough time without the 4 speed.

Things I like better on the honda vs yamaha.

1) 4th gen frame - though I've not ridden one, I think it will be nice, and the ones I've sat on at the shops felt really thin. However, I've not ridden the new yami either, so I'll try both before I buy.
2) Plastic - not the color, but the general plastic look, IMOP honda's just looks better, I don't care for Yamaha's front or rear fender at all. Like someone else mentioned, it still droops, and I hate it.
3) Non-rubber mounted t-clamps - which makes it so you have to buy new t-clamps if you go with 1 1/8" bars

As you can see though, none of these things are a big enough deal to stop me from getting an otherwise "better" bike, if that is indeed the case.

In all seriousness though, I really need to ride an '05 CRF back to back with an '05 YZF to get a real clue to the differences. I'm riding 2 year old technology. However, that bike still smokes. And I loved it.

The 4 speed really has me baffled. I just loved it. It's got me thinking of getting a new full DR D exhaust for my CRF and gearing it up to 14/51 (vs the 13/51 I run now) just so it will have longer gears. I'm also thinking 12:1 piston, and RHC valves over the winter.... Just to get it somewhere close.

I'm rambling now, but in all honesty, the '04 CRF's I've ridden had a noticable power difference over my '03 too.

Anyway, take it or leave it, but the '05 YZF is one sweet bike, and would make any owner very happy. As has been said before, they are so dang close. However, as previously stated, the 4 speed is magic.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:34 AM
Pro Class

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Woody. I appreciate it.

Here is a guy who gives a less detailed analysis than you did, but he does so from the perspective of owning the 04 YZF450 and just purchasing the 05 CRF450. Anyway, here it is.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > What Dirt Bike or ATV