All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Remembering Those Who Rode

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Tyler Waller - "Remembering Those Who Rode"

Motocross accident victim Tyler Waller, 7, remembered as 'greatest kid'

by Ron Fonger and Shannon Murphy | The Flint Journal Tuesday April 01, 2008

Oakland Twp -- The father of the 7-year-old boy who died Monday after a dirt bike crash in Fenton Township said his son was an experienced rider and he isn't sure what caused the boy's sudden, fatal crash.

Tyler Waller, a second-grader at Hamilton-Parsons Elementary School in the Romeo School District, died from internal injuries after he crashed into a steel pole at Fenton Indoor Motocross in Fenton Township.

"I don't know if his throttle stuck or what," said David Waller, 45. "I assumed he got the wind knocked out of him. He said, 'My stomach hurts.' Then he started to fall asleep. He started to fade away."

David Waller said his son rode a 50cc Cobra cycle, powered by racing fuel, and said his son was an experienced rider despite his young age.

Tyler rode a small Honda cycle when he was less than 3 years old and competed statewide against other children in his age group.

David Waller said he also rode dirt bikes growing up and suffered injuries but never suspected his son's life was in danger.
"I've had my share of broken bones," he said. "Everybody thinks it's dangerous, but it's a broken bones and bruising sport --Â not a death sport."

David Waller said he didn't see his son's accident but was told that he appeared too be traveling far too fast when he crashed.

He said the cycle left the track and hit the pole, which he believes should have been covered by a buffer.
The ensuing long wait for a transport ambulance was frustrating because Tyler talked to his parents and answered questions.

The Fenton Indoor Motocross building in Fenton Township was the scene of an accident that claimed the life of 7-year-old Tyler Waller.

Emergency officials and the ambulance company --Â Regional EMS --Â have disagreed about exactly how long it took the ambulance to arrive. The company claims it took "slightly less than 19 minutes" to respond because the first vehicle it dispatched broke down on the way.

Genesee County 911 and Sheriff Robert J. Pickell say it took 22 minutes.
Family members aren't sure whether a quicker response could have made a difference, but Marketa Waller said her son was alert, answering questions initially.

Eventually, she said she "went out screaming for the ambulance" because she was frustrated it had not yet arrived.
"He was totally responsive," she said. "He knew his name. He knew where he was going on a field trip. He knew where he was."

Marketa Waller, 34, said her son was "the greatest kid in the world."

"He was an awesome little boy," she said. "He was friends with everybody."

The Fenton Indoor Motocross track closed early Monday night after staff learned of Tyler's death, said General Manager Tommy Barron.

The track reopened Tuesday, and a staff minister went to the hospital to speak with the family. Staff and riders at the facility sent their condolences, he said.

"This is something that normally doesn't happen," Barron said. "There's bumps and bruises, but nothing like this."

Barron said riders are required to wear helmets, boots, gloves and goggles, all of which Waller had on when he crashed.

Rider Bill Foley, 45, of Fenton Township said it's sad to hear of another rider's death -- especially someone so young.

"It's a terrible thing. No one wants to see anyone get hurt," he said. [end article]

Tyler Waller will not be forgotten! May he "rest in eternal peace" and may his family somehow find comfort during the days that follow a tragedy like this.

It was once said, "Rather than mourn the absence of the flame, let us celebrate how brightly it shined." May these words resonate in the hearts of those who knew and loved Tyler.

Sincerely & in sympathy,

Mike Berg
"Motodad393"

Last edited by MotoMan; 04-03-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:25 AM
ATM Contributor!

Default Re: Tyler Waller - "Remembering Those Who Rode"

What an unimaginable tragedy! Our thoughts and prayers to the family!

Last edited by DRGSin393; 04-03-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 AM
ATM Contributor!

Oh man, thats horrible.

Prayers go out to the family on this end as well.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
ATM! Pro Class

To the Waller Family & Friends:

At times like these it is most difficult to find comfort and solace. You may likely experience feelings and emotions that you never knew could exist. I remember all to well the feeling and reality that set in as the days become months and the months become years. Please know that as you move forward with your lives you are not alone in your journey. Sadly, there are many parents and siblings who are “learning how to live” all over again.

As I reflect back on my life since Garrett died I made many mistakes, not intentionally but they were the result of pain I experienced as I unknowingly languished in the “valley overshadowed by death.” If there is anything that I can personally do for you – please let me know. Sometimes it just helps to just talk to someone who knows “exactly how you feel.”

One thing I am extremely confident of and this is that the prayers of the “Off-Road Family” are very powerful and the people are simply beyond description. They are without a doubt the most wonderful people I have ever met in my 50+ years of life! We are here for you.

Sincerely,
Mike, Suzette & Shannon Berg
Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 AM
cha cha

I am truly sorry for the Waller family's loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Intermediate Class

Oh wow this is very sad to hear! My prayers to the family of Tyler Waller. I only hope things get better for the family because that truly is a hard thing to deal with as i can only imagine.

Sinserely,
Troy.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:38 PM
ATM! Pro Class

+ Godspeed. +
Old 04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Intermediate Class

Thumbs down Re: Tyler Waller - "Remembering Those Who Rode"

I lost my best friend when I was 8....

God Speed, and good luck in heaven little man!

The family is in my prayers.

this just happens entirely to much!

Last edited by mxer120; 04-03-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 PM
ATM! Pro Class

What an awful loss, thoughts and prayers to the family
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Pro Class

Looking at Tylers picture leaves me feeling hollow.

The Walker family will be in my prayers.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Remembering Those Who Rode