All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Remembering Those Who Rode

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Novice Class

Default New To The Team, New To Motocross :(

Hello folks,

As recently as May 2012, I brought on a new member to our Sabatini Racing team. His name is Matthew Shane Wright, and I met him while working a plant turnaround which started in February 2012. In opening conversations as new people do, I asked Matt what his interests were besides his profession as a carpenter. Surprisingly, he told me he always wanted to be a motorcycle mechanic and some day restore a classic Triumph Bonneville.

So, I simply asked him if he would like to become a team member and I would teach him the basics of bike prep and general maintenance for starters. Matt obliged and I arranged it so that his first day as my mechanic would fall on the day of EVO racing at legendary Rio Bravo Motocross Park! Matt was in awe the entire day, and I introduced him to many of my friends and racing buddies. June 17th is a day he, or I will never forget!

On the evening of June 22nd...Matt was driving on his way home to meet some friends and I for a little outdoor grilling, pool and a new home stereo installation. Matthew lost his Life in a one-vehicle accident, only a quarter-mile from his home.

Matthew's enthusiasm and never-say-no attitude was his hallmark. With guts and determination, Matt became my first and last personal mechanic.

Godspeed Matthew Shane Wright
Mr. Matthew Shane Wright Obituary - Pasadena, Texas at nhobit.com

Last edited by SabMotocross; 08-07-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 AM
ATM! Pro Class

SabMotocross,
I am sorry for your loss and for the loss of Matthews Family. The path of Learning How to Live with half a Heart is long and bumpy. The tribute you provided for Matthew and his Obituary are true testimony to an awesome son, man and friend. I hope you find comfort as the years pass and Matthew Shane Wright with Live Forever in the Hearts of those who knew and loved him.

If I can be of assistance to you or to Matthew's Family simply let me know.

In Sympathy,
Mike Berg
"Motodad393"
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Retired now a House Biatch

God's Speed
Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Intermediate Class

terrible to loose someone so young. Prayers to family and frnds
Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
cha cha

Sab...you know my thoughts....

You're a good man...and Matt was lucky to have known you, even if for a short time. Just as you were lucky to have known him.

Hope to see you soon!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Novice Class

Thanks everyone, for the kind words....especially you Mike. I have been thinking of you and Garrett this entire time.

I never thought that trying to help someone better themselves and their career, would have lead to all of this. I do know that when we started working together, when he mentioned he dreamed of being a motorcycle mechanic, and that he wanted to restore an old Triumph Bonneville - that there was something unique about this new-found friend.

Having a motocross team that needed someone to support myself and Thomas Haggerty, and for me.....being the Triumph Bonneville was one of my favorite bikes as a kid, just sent chills down my spine.

After his passing, and in talking with his family and friends, I learned that we had striking similarities that neither of us knew about during our friendship:

Both of us were called "The Italian Stallion" in high school.

Our favorite meal at Antonio's in Deer Park, Texas was the "Antonio's Trio".

We both had a "mutant" tooth that required braces to get it in place.

Both of us liked to write words for songs.

We had the exact same set of drinking glasses in our homes.

We were both huge Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, and Jim Morrison fans.

When I had recently bought a new pair of shoes for church services a couple of weeks ago, his Mom said they are the exact make and style of shoes that he had bought for the same reasons.

There's more, but I can't think of them all right now.

We are spirits in a material world..........
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Retired now a House Biatch

Striking similarities. You go through life and never know there is someone who shares the majority of likes and dislikes, shares your mindset and even has an unbelievable way to know how to finish a sentence you started. I met a guy very much like that a couple years back and although distance keeps us from regularly seeing each other when we do it is like meeting up with a brother from another mother.

Thankfully, you got to spend some time with the young man and I'd bet you two had the ability to enhance each others lives...even if for just a short time. Be grateful you had the time with him you did and those memories can never be taken from you. God bless.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Remembering Those Who Rode