All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Remembering Those Who Rode

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Intermediate Class

Default Most Remembered Moment at GMB

I know this has already been done, I figure it is a good thing to redo from time to time

I have a few moments but I cant put the whole weekend in. I have only been at one GMB that is GMB I, I wont forget that weekend for the rest of my life. Not only did we honor a great young man named Garrett, but bonds were formed that will never be broken.

The Most Memoriable moment I had at GMB I was this:
When we all lined up on the Finish line both sides of the track was filled with peope from the top of the Finish line all the way back and past the first Jump.

Mike was taking the Lap of Honor with his son, and there was not a dry eye in the place. Mike was not alone on that lap, he had everyones heart riding with him and his son right next to him. When he cleared that Finish Line and everyone started applauding that very moment is a vision in my mind that will be as fresh 20 years form now as it was that day.

The Second moment was Macho man and I rode side by side for the entire race, and I look forward to adding two more to that lap with Macho, Boyd Mike and whomever

Remembering my friend and honoring his life
Motoman393

Last edited by Motodad393; 08-22-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:14 PM
cha cha

Default Re: Most Remeberal Moment at GMB

John, excellent idea for a thread!

I've only been to one GMB as well and it was last year. Much like you, I have a hard time thinking of just one moment that was memorable. And you put it perfectly:

Quote:
Not only did we honor a great young man named Garrett, but bonds were formed that will never be broken.
That is so true...I said it myself when I returned from GMBIII last year and I still believe it to this day.

As for most memorable..here are a few that stand out in my mind:

Watching Mike Berg take a lap with Garrett. I don't know that I can put it into words, but it moved me in way I'd not experienced before. It is something I will never forget.

The other memories that stand out have to do with MrsTwister and Imahoot. When Robbie picked me up at the airport, even though we were meeting face to face for the first time, it was like I'd known her my whole life. And riding with Imahoot...it was, simply awesome. In all the time I'd ridden, I'd never had the opportunity to ride with another female...as simple as it sounds, it was so incredibly cool.

I can't wait for October!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:13 AM
ATM! Pro Class

see post called the Band of Brothers. That would be mine.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:37 PM
ATM! Addict

I have only been to one GMB that was last year.

The lap that Mike and Garrett took.

Catching Mike on video going to talk to Garrett at the tree before going on the track.

Meeting the Berg family for the first time.

Doing laps with psyklone was a most awesome rush.

Making a plan with b-bike (Boyd)

I know it said one thing but you just can't.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
ATM! Pro Class

I hope this year you guys come out on the track , from the finsih line jump to the tunnel jump and stand side by side your friends and watch the lap of love. It will blow you away. Not on the other side of the fence but right on the track. See ya there Oct 2nd.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Da Bunny

Great post John. I have too many great memories to narrow it down to one. I think I can sum it up by just saying that it has been an honor to have met such great people.

Another moment that stands out is when we helped place the memorial under "The Tree". I will never forget that.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro Class

I have two monents, No... Better make that three.

#1. That one slice of time, there in Mike & Suzzett's driveway when I finnally got to see, talk to, shake hands with and hug, ("Now my life long friend") Mr. Mike Berg.

#2. Being allowed to ride Garrett's 450 in the second moto of last years G.M.B. while wearing Garretts goggles. I remember it as if it happened just five minutes ago. Sitting outside the enterance of the starting line before the start of that moto waiting for the rest of the class to show up. Everyone rolled up next to Garrett's bike as if drawn by a higher power. I've said it before and I'll say it for the rest of my life; Mike, I can't wrap my mind around why you would bestowe apon someone else that "HIGH" of an honor but I so thank you for allowing me to "FEEL" Garrett ride with me and to see the G.M.B. from your perspective.
Man, even now the tears are welling up in my eyes.

#3. Tag teaming it with machoman393 for an entire moto.
Can't wait to add the missing link to our "Tag Team".
Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 AM
ATM! Addict

I keep watching this thread and try to figure out what to respond with. Quite frankly there are so many moments related to attending the GMB races and planning meetings that I would not know where to start.

One moment at the GMB II (the first one my family and I attended) that impacted me and my son Kyle is when Mike Berg stopped to talk to Kyle. He asked him about his riding (Kyle was 8 years old at the time) and gave him a quick fatherly lecture/lesson. Mike , in the midst of a GMB race with people everywhere, came over , put his hand on Kyle's shoulder and said "your motorcycle and the sports you play are great aren't they?" Kyle listening intently said "yes sir". Mike continued "My son Garrett loved his motorcycle but we had a rule....if your not doing your school work then the motorcycle is off limits. So Kyle, make sure your school work comes first because it is the most important thing....then comes motorcycles and football". To this day Kyle remembers that talk.

This may sound like a small thing but it meant a lot to me. Mike Berg has such a big heart. I saw the look in his eye when he was talking to Kyle . He looked at me and without saying a word I knew what his message to me was. Love your kids, teach them right from wrong and cherish your time with them because every minute is special.

Mike...thank you.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Pro Class

Oh man, I have many! Too many to put down! Friday night at the bergs was AWESOME! All the ATMers having a good time together was amazing! I loved riding alongside everyone and just tearing the track uuup! One of the best things though was when I made Kirtwells name officially change to SKIRTwell! I'll get the video of it online ASAP! It's hilarious! I also will never forget when Mr. Berg speaks to all the riders at the riders meeting. Simply amazing!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Semper Fidelis

With Mike at Garrett's tree

Easy question, painful answer,
1. Riding straight to the tree with just Mike after the first TT class moto at GMBI. I have never felt such emotion as just holding each other.
2. The ends of the TT class motos when we waited for Mike to come around and win the class. Pure emotion on every face on the track and in the stands.

I loved every minute of that weekend and expect to be as blown away this time.

See Y'all there, scars and all. :

Bill

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Remembering Those Who Rode