All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums  

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Remembering Those Who Rode

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Default Luke Mrugala - 13 yr Old Dies in Motorcycle Crash..

Taken From: [Homer Tribune, June 18, 2008]

A 13-year-old boy died in a motorcycle crash at the motocross track in Anchor Point Saturday night, with the racing continuing into the next day in order to help other young racers deal with the tragedy.

Luke Mrugala, of Chugiak, was racing at the two-day event that attracts about 200 competitors from around the state and is held at the Homer Racing Lions Motocross Track in Anchor Point. About five towns host these events each year, inviting community club members to race in the state-sanctioned sporting event.

Alaska State Trooper Mike Henry said the boy didn't make a landing and was thrown from his motorcycle while in air, then hit the ground. Medics present at the track responded immediately, said Homer Racing Lions President Mike Arno.

Mrugala and his 85cc bike flipped forward when Mrugala jumped a hill and overshot the landing so that instead of coming down on the hill's down-slope, he landed on a flat stretch, fishtailed and bounced forward, Henry said.

The youth was pronounced dead at South Peninsula Hospital where he was taken from the track.
Since the event was scheduled to continue into Sunday, race officials consulted to decide whether to cancel and send everyone home. In the end, they decided to let the competition continue. “It was a long hard process to make the decision,” Mike Arno said. “We met as a board of directors from around the state and talked to riders. We decided to talk to as many club members from as many communities as we could.” The decision was unanimous to continue on after a memorial service and prayers on Sunday morning. Racers formed a procession in a circler path as part of their memorial tribute.

“We dedicated our race to him. It was a good thing, an extremely good thing for them to do at a difficult time,” Arno said.

Some people may form the opinion that the event is too dangerous and should have been cancelled, Arno said. But for the 180 some young people participating, to leave the event at the teen’s death would have left them traumatized without healing, he said. “We did it very respectfully and in honor of the person who died.”

Each class of winners gains cash awards as well as trophies. At $35 and $25 fees per entry, the event takes in a sizable amount to give out in cash. Arno said he didn’t know how much the event took in, but many of the winners donated their winnings to the Mrugala family.

Mrugula’s family was at the sporting event when the accident occurred. They issued a statement in their son’s obituary sent to the newspapers through Evergreen Memorial Chapel. It stated a memorial service will be held at Evergreen Funeral Home in Eagle River from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. today. Funeral services will take place at St. Andrews Catholic Church in Eagle River on June 19. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. with a service from 11-12 p.m.

Luke was born on Jan. 5, 1995 in Minneapolis, Minn. to Michael and LaVon Mrugala. He lived in Prior Lake, Minnesota until the summer of 2002 when he moved with his family to Chugiak.
Throughout his life Luke was on the move and he enjoyed fishing, biking, playing hockey and football, snow-machining, four-wheeling, motocross, hunting, and shooting at the rifle range. Luke was also mechanically inclined, and enjoyed working with tools. He also spent many hours working on his dirt bike, which he bought after working for summers for his Great-Uncle Hal in his motorsports shop.
Luke attended Mirror Lake Middle School where he recently finished seventh grade. He particularly enjoyed science and Outdoor Survival Studies. He was also captain of his hockey team.

“Luke had many friends both within and out of school, and was known for his ability to brighten everyone's day. His sparkling blue eyes and his infectious grin affected all with whom he came in contact. Though he left this world far too soon for our comfort, his memory will burn brightly in the hearts of all who knew him. In sum, Luke lived his life full-throttle,” his family said.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be sent to the Luke Mrugala Memorial Fund at Wells Fargo Bank Account No. 7503548039.

Arno said Mrugala was wearing all the required safety gear, including a helmet and chest protector, and some that is optional, like a neck brace.

When you Google search the name of Luke Mrugala - You will find that he was one special young man!

Last edited by Motodad393; 06-26-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Expert Class

Default Re: Luke Mrugala - 13 yr Old Dies in Motorcycle Crash..

oh no prayers sent to the Mrugala family R.I.P Luke

Last edited by DUDEONAYZ125; 06-26-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:52 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Sadly...... the "list" continues to grow. I was notified by Jkt393 (John) of this event last week. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

To the Mrugala Family: My heart and prayers go out to you as you begin the journey no parent should ever have to take. Please know that you are not alone in this journey and that there are many of us - parents who lost a child that are willing to help in any way we can.

If I may be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me. I have added your sons name - Luke Mrugala to the "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial List. We will read his name every year. I promise you that Luke will not be forgotten.

Sincerely,
Mike Berg
"Motodad393"

May Luke Mrugala "Rest in Eternal Peace."
Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 PM
ATM Contributor!

Thoughts and prayers to Luke's family. For me at least, each one of these gets increasingly more difficult to deal with.

You'll be remembered Luke....................
Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 PM
ATM Contributor!

Thoughts and prayers to the Mrugala family. What a beautiful young man he is!!!!

I could'nt agree with you more, Doc
Old 06-26-2008, 02:07 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Thoughts and prayers to the Mrugala family
Old 06-26-2008, 05:40 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodad393 View Post
Sadly...... the "list" continues to grow. I was notified by Jkt393 (John) of this event last week. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

To the Mrugala Family: My heart and prayers go out to you as you begin the journey no parent should ever have to take. Please know that you are not alone in this journey and that there are many of us - parents who lost a child that are willing to help in any way we can.

If I may be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me. I have added your sons name - Luke Mrugala to the "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial List. We will read his name every year. I promise you that Luke will not be forgotten.

Sincerely,
Mike Berg
"Motodad393"

May Luke Mrugala "Rest in Eternal Peace."
Very well said Mr. Berg. RIP Luke!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:16 PM
cha cha

Goodspeed Luke, you will not be forgotten!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Hook'Em

So sorry to hear this. RIP Luke.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Da Bunny

Godspeed Luke. My prayers go out to your family and friends. You will not be forgotten.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Remembering Those Who Rode