All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2019, 02:47 AM
Welcome To ATM

Default Need help with ttr-125

Hello, I just bought a 2006 ttr125 and the guy said it needed a new carb because gas was leaking out the overflow and he couldnít find out what was wrong with it, I opened it up and messed with the float and I couldnít figure it out myself so I just ordered a $30 carb off of amazon. I installed it and it seemed to run great around the yard but when I got on the road and started picking up speed it seems to just turn off once I slow down and down shift. I donít know itís like if I go to fast it will just completely die and right after it dies it wonít start, the es wonít work nor will the kick start, I have to wait a good 30 minutes before I can start it and it runs fine again. Anything helps! Thanks
Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Questions and things to check....
Was the new carb the same exact unit as what you had?
Was it a China knock off or OEM?
Was the jetting the same?
Have you reset the float level?
Have you checked fuel flow from the fuel tank to carb?
Have you done a OHMs test on the ignition coil?
Have you replaced the spark plug?
These bikes were jetted very lean right from the factory and need attention.

Paw Paw
Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 AM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
Questions and things to check....
Was the new carb the same exact unit as what you had?
Was it a China knock off or OEM?
Was the jetting the same?
Have you reset the float level?
Have you checked fuel flow from the fuel tank to carb?
Have you done a OHMs test on the ignition coil?
Have you replaced the spark plug?
These bikes were jetted very lean right from the factory and need attention.

Paw Paw
I suspect it would be hard to find a genuine Keihin or Mikuni for $30 so it's probably a clone...
In addition to the great list of suggestions from PawPaw, I would look at the air filter to see if it's needing cleaned or not. Remove as many variables as possible to narrow down the cause.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Welcome To ATM

Default Reply

Yea, the carb is a Chinese one, not a clone. Someone told me I need to put a bigger main jet because itís running to rich causing the bike to overheat and die. Iím not that good of a mechanic lol. Where would I even start to rejet it. I asked the seller of the Chinese carb what size jet was in thereís but havenít got a response yet. I tried cleaning my manuki carb out but itís still leaking gas terribly from overflow. I even tried putting the float from the Chinese carb into the manuki but it still leaks
Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 PM
ATM! Pro Class

Get the correct parts for your OEM carb and rebuild it. It will be a better unit.

Paw Paw
Old 06-13-2019, 08:52 AM
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPaw View Post
Get the correct parts for your OEM carb and rebuild it. It will be a better unit.

Paw Paw
I second this. Sounds like your needle and seat are worn, and/or your float height is incorrect causing the carb to overflow. Neither are difficult to correct. Look through our knowledge base and elsewhere on the interwebs for carburetor rebuilding how-to's, setting float height, and how to disassemble a carburetor. It's not overly difficult but you do have to be attentive. If the bike sat for a length of time with crappy old fuel in it, I would strongly suggest just buying new jets, particularly the pilot jet because the passages are tiny and clog easily.
The TT-R125 is notorious for being overly lean on the pilot circuit, it's been YEARS since I had one in the stable so I don't recall exactly but search the forums here and on Google and I'm sure you'll find tons of info.

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Dirt Bike - ATV - Suspension Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bike Bike Forums > 4-Stroke Dirt Bikes - Yamaha