All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums

Go Back   All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Races

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Intermediate Class

Sorry this is a little late and itís not much of a recap but more of a first-timer's report. This was my first GMB and unfortunately, we arrived late on Saturday and missed Sunday. I enjoyed the opportunity to meet Mr. Berg and Shannon (and her friendly Doberman), Char, Mr. Pragmatic, Jaybird (Jason), Mrs. Twister, Doc George and I think there were a few others so please forgive me if I canít rememberÖ.it all happened so quick in and out of the rain, just glad there wasnít a quiz afterwards! We did eventually get on the track only to see it swallow up my sonís CRF70. Needless to say, it was so slick he didnít want to venture back out and opted to ride with some other kids off the track. I did get to meet a family on Yamahas (WR, TTR & PW) from Kingwood who didnít know anything about ATM so I encouraged them to find the website and learn more about the GMB and the ATM family. So if Mitchell (and his two boys) from Kingwood find the website, welcome! Char, thank you for the invitation to join you folks for dinner but as I mentioned, we had already promised our family we would be there for dinner by 6.

Jeremy woke up sick on Sunday so we stayed indoors until it was time to head home. I wish we could have attended the reading of the names but we were there in spirit. My first few laps around the track, I found myself often wondering about Garrett and what lines he would takeÖIím sure as fast as he was, he could blaze any line on the track. I also thought of the different emotions and feelings each rider has as they take laps around the track. I continue to be amazed at how much of an impact Garrett's passion for this sport and the spirit of his willingness to help others has grown over the years and all over the world to what ATM has become.

As slow as I was going, I made sure to stay out of the way of the 4 stroke KTM (canít recall his #, maybe 57 or 67?) and #9 Honda. I thought back to some of the pictures Iíve seen from previous GMBs and the pictures of the triple step-up and finish line jump and smiled as I tried to picture Jedi riding around with a wig on last year. I had a camera and camcorder loaded but didnít snap one picture or record a second of video. Although, we missed out on much of the weekend, we will certainly look forward to being back next year. Just as my son commented one of the first times I took him ridingÖĒcan we do this again?ĒÖ.he said the same thing on the way home. Even with all the rain and mud, it was worth the trip! We will see you next year!

Kelly
Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Expert Class

Moto

Big Red, You def spent your time well. Hope he stays safe and makes it back home soon!! Our prayers are with him as well as for all that are protecting us!...Jerry
Old 10-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Pro Class

Kelly,

Loved reading your post. In the days ahead you'll process more of the weekend and remember more of the small details. Going to a race track with the mind-set of "Remembering Those Who Rode" is alot to deal with. You said it best by saying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjz28
We will see you next year!
Next year you'll just have to hang around longer to meet, greet, pit-race & remember our brothers and sisters.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Expert Class

Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjz28 View Post
Sorry this is a little late and itís not much of a recap but more of a first-timer's report. This was my first GMB and unfortunately, we arrived late on Saturday and missed Sunday. I enjoyed the opportunity to meet Mr. Berg and Shannon (and her friendly Doberman), Char, Mr. Pragmatic, Jaybird (Jason), Mrs. Twister, Doc George and I think there were a few others so please forgive me if I canít rememberÖ.it all happened so quick in and out of the rain, just glad there wasnít a quiz afterwards! We did eventually get on the track only to see it swallow up my sonís CRF70. Needless to say, it was so slick he didnít want to venture back out and opted to ride with some other kids off the track. I did get to meet a family on Yamahas (WR, TTR & PW) from Kingwood who didnít know anything about ATM so I encouraged them to find the website and learn more about the GMB and the ATM family. So if Mitchell (and his two boys) from Kingwood find the website, welcome! Char, thank you for the invitation to join you folks for dinner but as I mentioned, we had already promised our family we would be there for dinner by 6.

Jeremy woke up sick on Sunday so we stayed indoors until it was time to head home. I wish we could have attended the reading of the names but we were there in spirit. My first few laps around the track, I found myself often wondering about Garrett and what lines he would takeÖIím sure as fast as he was, he could blaze any line on the track. I also thought of the different emotions and feelings each rider has as they take laps around the track. I continue to be amazed at how much of an impact Garrett's passion for this sport and the spirit of his willingness to help others has grown over the years and all over the world to what ATM has become.

As slow as I was going, I made sure to stay out of the way of the 4 stroke KTM (canít recall his #, maybe 57 or 67?) and #9 Honda. I thought back to some of the pictures Iíve seen from previous GMBs and the pictures of the triple step-up and finish line jump and smiled as I tried to picture Jedi riding around with a wig on last year. I had a camera and camcorder loaded but didnít snap one picture or record a second of video. Although, we missed out on much of the weekend, we will certainly look forward to being back next year. Just as my son commented one of the first times I took him ridingÖĒcan we do this again?ĒÖ.he said the same thing on the way home. Even with all the rain and mud, it was worth the trip! We will see you next year!

Kelly
Kelly, What a great write up!! Thankyou. It sounded like a great time,even with the weather. Hope to see you next year.!............Jerry
Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
ATM! Pro Class

Kelly,
It was my pleasure to meet you and your son. He is a fine young man and your active parenting shows in his demeanor. I wish we would have had more time to chat. I am glad you were able to make the trip. Next year will be much different and active. I very much appreciate your involvement in ATM and for being a part of the "worlds greatest family."

Thanks for your excellent write up and the kind words. I look forward to our paths crossing again. Let me know if you all come to the Houston area again.

All the Best,
Mike Berg
"Motodad393"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjz28 View Post

Kelly
Old 10-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Novice Class

Another good write up....thanks KJJZ....but uh, where are the folks with the photo documentation of the event? I wanna see some pics!! And, as an added bonus.....some captions puttin screen names with faces!!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Retired now a House Biatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
uh, where are the folks with the photo documentation of the event?
Exaaaaaaaaaaaaactly!!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Intermediate Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodad393 View Post
Kelly,
It was my pleasure to meet you and your son. He is a fine young man and your active parenting shows in his demeanor. I wish we would have had more time to chat. I am glad you were able to make the trip. Next year will be much different and active. I very much appreciate your involvement in ATM and for being a part of the "worlds greatest family."

Thanks for your excellent write up and the kind words. I look forward to our paths crossing again. Let me know if you all come to the Houston area again.

All the Best,
Mike Berg
"Motodad393"
Thank you for the kind words Mr. Berg and for everyone else's comments on my post. I try and spend as much time as I can with both of my boys but my wife gets most of the credit. Jeremy has gotten very involved in Boy Scouts so he is learning some great moral and character traits there as well. I too wish we had more time to visit but I will certainly look forward to that next year! If we are in the Houston area before then, I will definitely give you a holler!

All Things Moto! Dirtbike Forums > Announcements, Policies & Promotions > Garrett Michael Berg "Remembering Those Who Rode" Memorial Foundation > GMB Races